Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

freitz

macrumors regular
May 25, 2015
Ellicott City MD
I'm sure the professionals that hook up an XDR to a MBP won't miss the Ethernet port.

/s

I can't see anyone buying that display for a MBP...
[automerge]1576511532[/automerge]
So The only issue with hooking up a Caldigit TS 3 and the charger is you can't use the TB3 bus? Your capped out and wouldn't be able to use the other two ports? Am I missing something?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
CalDigit TS3 Plus and Apple 96W charger eat up two of the four ports on MBP16,1. This should take up one port only, max.

One of those has basically a redundant function of "just" providing 96W power (Apple charger) when the other should be able to, or else a new/different model that should be able to... that's the search for a 96W/100W TB3 docking solution.

Reactions: freitz

freitz

macrumors regular
May 25, 2015
Ellicott City MD
Yes I get that. But wouldn't you still have 2 more TB3 ports? More then enough seems like this is the best option for not until they create a better TB3 dock.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
You cannot daisy chain TB3 to a dock and still get 40Gbps via the TB3 "out" to another device. That's usually only 20Gbps TB3 at maximum. Maybe the CalDigit firmware will magically fix this issue, but I'm 100% assuming it will not and no reason to believe it will. I've tried and noticed substantial speed/performance hits with eGPU connected to TS3 Plus vs. directly to MBP16,1 TB3.

So that leaves only one remaining TB3 40Gbps device that can be connected on the other side of the MBP16,1 (since TS3 Plus is technically a 40Gbps device).

So you need to choose between storage and eGPU for your other 40Gbps port. After that, everything would take a bandwidth allocation hit. eGPU basically requires 40Gbps, so the choice is really made if you're using an eGPU. Now you NEED to use storage that works with your dock...

Toss in NVMe external drive or a media reader for CF/CFast/RED/etc (which TS3 Plus does not directly support) and you're playing roulette trying to figure out the best setup between these four ports and what should go where. Then add in the need to keep the Apple charger on the same side as the TB3 port that basically has the TS3 Plus connected.

Might sound like I'm making the case for bringing ports back to MBP, but I'm really not. Give me an all-in-one docking solution that does that, especially if I only have four ports on the machine to work with (or three if I need to power the device too).

Truthfully, TS3 Plus does not need 40Gbps for 90% of the stuff that it's offering (audio, ethernet, USB, DisplayPort) and I really wish the passthrough was actually 40Gbps performance. Would make everything a lot easier if it could provide power and actual 40Gbps passthrough via single cable.

(This is exactly why I specifically sought out an eGPU with 100W PD. It's not used all the time, but at least provides power when it is used.)

freitz

macrumors regular
May 25, 2015
Ellicott City MD
You cannot daisy chain TB3 to a dock and still get 40Gbps via the TB3 "out" to another device. That's usually only 20Gbps TB3 at maximum. Maybe the CalDigit firmware will magically fix this issue, but I'm 100% assuming it will not and no reason to believe it will. I've tried and noticed substantial speed/performance hits with eGPU connected to TS3 Plus vs. directly to MBP16,1 TB3.

So that leaves only one remaining TB3 40Gbps device that can be connected on the other side of the MBP16,1 (since TS3 Plus is technically a 40Gbps device).

So you need to choose between storage and eGPU for your other 40Gbps port. After that, everything would take a bandwidth allocation hit. eGPU basically requires 40Gbps, so the choice is really made if you're using an eGPU. Now you NEED to use storage that works with your dock...

Toss in NVMe external drive or a media reader for CF/CFast/RED/etc (which TS3 Plus does not directly support) and you're playing roulette trying to figure out the best setup between these four ports and what should go where. Then add in the need to keep the Apple charger on the same side as the TB3 port that basically has the TS3 Plus connected.

Might sound like I'm making the case for bringing ports back to MBP, but I'm really not. Give me an all-in-one docking solution that does that, especially if I only have four ports on the machine to work with (or three if I need to power the device too).

Truthfully, TS3 Plus does not need 40Gbps for 90% of the stuff that it's offering (audio, ethernet, USB, DisplayPort) and I really wish the passthrough was actually 40Gbps performance. Would make everything a lot easier if it could provide power and actual 40Gbps passthrough via single cable.

(This is exactly why I specifically sought out an eGPU with 100W PD. It's not used all the time, but at least provides power when it is used.)

Sounds like you need a desktop lol.

I'm moving from a desktop to a 16 MBP (or atleast considering it). I have a 13MPB w/ Touch bar that I use only for travel. I guess I don't have such high requirements for external storage. I would use the local storage for live projects, External USB-C T5 drives for large projects, everything that is complete goes on the NAS. Nas also storage Lightroom libraries from anything not in this year as well as video libraries from past years.

USB C from the Dock should be more then fast enough to live edit everything even RED 8K RAW.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Yes, already have a desktop. Not everyone uses their machine(s) this way, but those that do need solutions that work.

jd00

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2019
I've been using the Dell WD19TB since I received my 16" a few weeks ago and it has been working great. It does only offer 90 Watts, but I've yet to run my Macbook so hard for so long that it has made any difference. I have it on my desk at work connected to 2 1440p displays. Super quick and easy to just plug in one cable in the morning and get on with my day. I did have to buy a USB-C to HDMI cable to use the Thunderbolt port for the second display, but that isn't an issue. I've yet to remove my laptop at the end of the day and it not be fully charged.

Second this post - I'm using a Dell WD19TB as well. It's working great so far with a 90 W charging power, which is able to charge the battery even when the CPU fan is blowing hard. I have one thunderbolt2 Apple Display connected to the thunderbolt3 port through Apple's 3-to-2 cable and another Dell display connected to a DisplayPort of the WD19TB dock - work perfectly without mirroring each other.

1576553723783.png

Last edited:

jd00

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2019
Second this post - I'm using a Dell WD19TB as well. It's working great so far with a 90 W charging power, which is able to charge the battery even when the CPU fan is blowing hard. I have one thunderbolt2 Apple Display connected to the thunderbolt3 port through Apple's 3-to-2 cable and another Dell display connected to a DisplayPort of the WD19TB dock - work perfectly without mirroring each other.

View attachment 883218

The official Apple 96W power adapter actually gives only 94W. This 4 wattage difference does not concern me at all.

Last edited:

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
First post updated to include additional devices and info. Let's try to keep the format and in alphabetical order if adding to the list in the future.

jd00

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2019
First post updated to include additional devices and info. Let's try to keep the format and in alphabetical order if adding to the list in the future.

Thanks a lot for doing that. Another interesting finding to report is that, in my case, the combo of Apple USB-C 96W power adapter + Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter (A2119 model) is able to deliver 90W power to the 16 inch MBP. I'm very happy with that. The HDMI and USB-A ports are empty though.

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
Waiting for CalDigit to update their TB3 dock...

On another note, the only way I can make my battery drain without charging while connected to an 87W source is while playing something very GPU intensive (like X-Plane). Other than that, for light work and browsing, even a 61W brick does fine.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
The CalDigit TS3 Plus will do 85W/87W. Most people do not seem to stress their machine enough to drain battery when under 85/W87W power, but I personally have during video renders - unless the 96W charger is being used, or eGPU with 100W power delivery.

Good to hear about the USB-C AV adapter delivering 90W, but it's not exactly a docking solution. Has a single HDMI port and single USB port (with power passthrough port). This is great for people going into conference rooms or traveling, but does not meet the desktop needs of most people.
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MUF82AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter

At 90W, it's the same power delivery as the Dell WD19TB:
https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-thunderbolt-dock-wd19tb/apd/210-arik/pc-accessories

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
Is it safe if the battery drains even when it's charging under heavy load? I'm ok with this since it's rare when I'm taxing the Macbook that hard, but I'm worried that I'm damaging the battery by using a lower powered charger.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Is it safe if the battery drains even when it's charging under heavy load? I'm ok with this since it's rare when I'm taxing the Macbook that hard, but I'm worried that I'm damaging the battery by using a lower powered charger.
It won't damage anything. Apple portables have worked this way for years.

ivanzud

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2019
Does anyone know if they can use the Elagato Thunderbolt 3 dock without a power supply? I accidentally bought one on eBay without a power supply and I'm regretting it because I bought a lenovo power supply that I thought would work with this. I don't need the charging capabilities.

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
And they have to be able to drain the battery while charging under load. I've seen the 16" spike as high as 142 watts, although its maximum sustained draw is right around 100. Apple has never supplied a >100W adapter with a portable Mac.N either Magsafe nor USB-C is rated past 100 watts - although Dell makes some nonstandard adapters that send 130 watts over a "USB-C" connection, they're not operating within USB Implementers Forum specs, and no non-Dell computer recognizes them as >90 watts.

dau1618

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2019

View attachment 883218

Have you charged your MBP from a fully discharged state using the WD19TB? Were you able to do this AND use the MBP for any decently heavy computing task? I have a CalDigit USB-C Pro Dock with an 85W power adapter and it croaks if I'm charging the 16" MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.