Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

nethead

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2008
Aside from what rex450se asked, can you also verify the power of AC adapter in the system information report while the power supply is connected via the dock?

After checking system information for the detected wattage, it's important to verify that it *actually* delivers the wattage by running Cinebench or something that causes the MBP to use ~100W and then checking the "DC In" sensor in iStats Menu. For example, the Razer Core X shows "100 W" in system information, but only delivers 88W, even under the most extreme load.

Last edited:

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Regarding the dual-display setup using HP G2 Dock - I've found this thread https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...nderbolt-Dock-G2-to-Mac-book-pro/td-p/6802423

tl;dr; Due to Mac OS not supporting DisplayPort MST, DP ports mirror signal. To achieve multi-display setup, one monitor has to be connected to DP, other has to be connected to hub's USB-C port (thunderbolt-one I think) using the USB-C to DP adapter.

Thank you! This is exactly what I needed! I have an HP G2 at work, and tested it with two displays, so bought one for home to go with my new 16" MBP, but it wasn't working right. I hadn't even realized I was using the Thunderbolt/USB-C port at work until reading this! Ordered a USB-C-to-DisplayPort cable, let's see if that fixes it at home.

Also, relevant to the topic of this thread, HP does make a 120W version of the dock, which is what I'm using.

Frederick Xu

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2019
After checking system information for the detected wattage, it's important to verify that it *actually* delivers the wattage by running Cinebench or something that causes the MBP to use ~100W and then checking the "DC In" sensor in iStats Menu. For example, the Razer Core X shows "100 W" in system information, but only delivers 88W, even under the most extreme load.
I suspect that it is because the dock does not supply power continuously. I use Anker Atom PD4 which supports 100w maximum. But if 100w is too much for the device, it will charge at a lower 88w, instead of somewhere in between 88 and 100.

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
The little OWC USB 3.1 travel dock (latest version) reports 92W when powered from a 100W Zendure SuperPort (so putting the dock in line doesn't reduce power available to the Mac much). I was using it today while editing and printing photographs, including some extremely power-intensive operations, and it didn't drain the battery at all.

The one thing I didn't test is whether and how well it works with power-hungry USB devices connected. I was using it with a dongle to license a software package (which should draw almost literally no power) and as a SD card reader (not nothing, but very little). What would have happened if I'd connected , say, a bus-powered dual drive? I'm not sure...

tmorgan4

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2019
Thank you! This is exactly what I needed! I have an HP G2 at work, and tested it with two displays, so bought one for home to go with my new 16" MBP, but it wasn't working right. I hadn't even realized I was using the Thunderbolt/USB-C port at work until reading this! Ordered a USB-C-to-DisplayPort cable, let's see if that fixes it at home.

Also, relevant to the topic of this thread, HP does make a 120W version of the dock, which is what I'm using.

I'm using the same HP G2 dock in the setup mentioned above (one monitor connected to displayport, second monitor connected to thunderbolt/usb-c) and it works great on a 2019 16" MBP (2.4GHz i9, 5500M 8GB). It also includes its own high wattage power supply so it frees up the original power adapter. I'm using two LG 4K displays and performance is great but the laptop runs very hot especially if I run with the laptop closed using a separate keyboard and mouse. I wish there was a way to disable the built-in display but leave it open for cooling purposes.

Idec50

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2019
TX
Has anyone tried the Dell U3818DW? It claims to have up to 100W power delivery. I'm also wondering if people are having the power issues when using USB-C when using that monitor as reported here and here.

tokanizar

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Backtracking a bit on the CalDigit TS3+ dock. They still have not had the updated firmware for a little bit more power output, right? I'm looking at this page. http://downloads.caldigit.com/

Also, how important the macOS driver is? I'm not using an Apple keyboard, or have intention to charge my phone using the dock.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Backtracking a bit on the CalDigit TS3+ dock. They still have not had the updated firmware for a little bit more power output, right?

I have NOT seen an updated driver, yet. I reached out to their support last week, but fairly sure it was lost in the holiday mess. May try again later today.

I have not installed any drivers and dock works fine, except for power not being 94W/96W/100W. Believe the firmware will increase power to 87W.

tokanizar

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
I have not installed any drivers and dock works fine, except for power not being 94W/96W/100W. Believe the firmware will increase power to 87W.

Yeah same. I don't quite remember if I installed it (downloaded) but I think I didn't. Dock works only okay here, though. I have issue with it not waking the external monitors up sometimes, as also reported by some users on Reddit. Not sure if it's the dock, the mac, or the OS. Really really hope it's the OS because Catalina is still a freaking mess to me.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Backtracking a bit on the CalDigit TS3+ dock. They still have not had the updated firmware for a little bit more power output, right? I'm looking at this page. http://downloads.caldigit.com/

Also, how important the macOS driver is? I'm not using an Apple keyboard, or have intention to charge my phone using the dock.
The driver just allows for the USB ports to provide extra power to charge iOS devices or run the USB Superdrive. It's not required if you're not doing either of those.

Reactions: tokanizar

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I'm using the same HP G2 dock in the setup mentioned above (one monitor connected to displayport, second monitor connected to thunderbolt/usb-c) and it works great on a 2019 16" MBP (2.4GHz i9, 5500M 8GB). It also includes its own high wattage power supply so it frees up the original power adapter. I'm using two LG 4K displays and performance is great but the laptop runs very hot especially if I run with the laptop closed using a separate keyboard and mouse. I wish there was a way to disable the built-in display but leave it open for cooling purposes.

Huh. Mine runs reasonable. I'm running three 4K displays (two to the dock and one plugged in to a TB3 port on the other side of the computer,) and it idles at ~40°C in lid-closed mode, and maybe 60°C when playing a 4K/60 video on YouTube. The fan starts to become audible when playing a 4K/60, but even a 4K/30 it stays quiet.

4CD06F27-19D9-4335-A581-EE43B12C4213_1_201_a.jpeg
(Picture taken with lid open so the laptop is more obvious for the photo.)

seangrimes590

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
Villanova, PA
Something I haven't seen mentioned anywhere in this thread, which is unrelated to power delivery but very related to dock choice -- the thunderbolt controller in the TS3+, OWCs offerings, Elegatos dock, and Pluggable is the old Alpine Ridge controller which only supports DisplayPort 1.2 which means no HDR. The only dock I currently see available that uses the newer Titan Ridge controller is the Dell WD19TB dock which enables DisplayPort 1.4 and gives full 10-bit HDR support. I realize HDR is a relatively new thing as far as computer monitors go but I can't see myself buying something that's immediately out-dated when my next planned monitor upgrade will be HDR capable. My current monitor is 4K but old enough that it doesn't support 60hz over HDMI, only DisplayPort (an old Dell 2715q revision A). A few people posted about the Dell dock with good results, it's current $225 on Amazon so I just ordered. I'll update how it goes. For me 90w sustained should be fine as I rarely engage the GPU in any meaningful way, all my intensive work runs on a local cluster and the MBP is used for coding and testing on toy datasets.

Reactions: andrewpsy

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Something I haven't seen mentioned anywhere in this thread, which is unrelated to power delivery but very related to dock choice -- the thunderbolt controller in the TS3+, OWCs offerings, Elegatos dock, and Pluggable is the old Alpine Ridge controller which only supports DisplayPort 1.2 which means no HDR. The only dock I currently see available that uses the newer Titan Ridge controller is the Dell WD19TB dock which enables DisplayPort 1.4 and gives full 10-bit HDR support. I realize HDR is a relatively new thing as far as computer monitors go but I can't see myself buying something that's immediately out-dated when my next planned monitor upgrade will be HDR capable. My current monitor is 4K but old enough that it doesn't support 60hz over HDMI, only DisplayPort (an old Dell 2715q revision A). A few people posted about the Dell dock with good results, it's current $225 on Amazon so I just ordered. I'll update how it goes. For me 90w sustained should be fine as I rarely engage the GPU in any meaningful way, all my intensive work runs on a local cluster and the MBP is used for coding and testing on toy datasets.
Are you sure your display is old enough that HDMI 2.0 can’t be enabled as in this document: https://www.dell.com/support/articl...th-hdmi-2-0-that-support-4k-x-2k-60hz?lang=en
Also the Caldigit USB-C Pro dock is another Titan Ridge option.

seangrimes590

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
Villanova, PA
Are you sure your display is old enough that HDMI 2.0 can’t be enabled as in this document: https://www.dell.com/support/articl...th-hdmi-2-0-that-support-4k-x-2k-60hz?lang=en
Also the Caldigit USB-C Pro dock is another Titan Ridge option.

Thanks for pointing out the USB-C Pro dock, looks pretty similar ports wise to the Dell. If the Dell doesn't work out I think that'll be my next try.

Unfortunately I have the A00 revision so limited to HDMI 1.4 @30hz.

EDIT: Are you sure the USB-C Pro dock is Titan Ridge? It lists DisplayPort as version 1.2 which points to Alpine Ridge as Titan Ridge was required for DisplayPort 1.4. Either way, only supporting 1.2 defeats the purpose of the Titan Ridge controller.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
CalDigit is saying the TS3 Plus firmware update should be available sometime this week.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
EDIT: Are you sure the USB-C Pro dock is Titan Ridge? It lists DisplayPort as version 1.2 which points to Alpine Ridge as Titan Ridge was required for DisplayPort 1.4. Either way, only supporting 1.2 defeats the purpose of the Titan Ridge controller.
I'm not actually 100% sure, but since the dock is a USB-C/Thunderbolt device like all the other Titan Ridge docks are I made the assumption. I may be wrong.
Edit: I knew I'd read it somewhere, this blog claims it's a Titan Ridge device: https://dancharblog.wordpress.com/2...derbolt-3-and-usb-c-with-titan-ridge-jhl7440/

seangrimes590

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
Villanova, PA
I'm not actually 100% sure, but since the dock is a USB-C/Thunderbolt device like all the other Titan Ridge docks are I made the assumption. I may be wrong.
Edit: I knew I'd read it somewhere, this blog claims it's a Titan Ridge device: https://dancharblog.wordpress.com/2...derbolt-3-and-usb-c-with-titan-ridge-jhl7440/

Thanks for taking the time to find that article. Makes sense to use the new controller so it has full USB-C compatibility. I guess they didn't want to market dual standards for TB3 and USB-C as far as DisplayPort goes so they limited TB3 connections to DP1.2. Disappointing as this probably would be been my choice for dock if it supported DP1.4.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Can confirm the CalDigit firmware installs in 10.15.2 with MBP16,1 and now provides 87W power. No other drivers or software tools are needed for the firmware update. Requires two system restarts, FYI.

Will test without supplemental power next week. Initially seems it forces a delay in switching back to the Apple issued 96W charger or entirely prevents the auto-switching. Will also try to look into this further.

-----

Quick update - it's just a delayed switch over to the 96W charger, probably several minutes more/longer than previous without firmware update. Maybe just due to 87W vs 85W and the OS not "needing" to see the higher wattage more quickly?

-----

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes
ID: 0x0000
Wattage (W): 87
Charging: No

TS3 Plus:

Vendor Name: CalDigit, Inc.
Device Name: TS3 Plus
Vendor ID: 0x3D
Device ID: 0x11
Device Revision: 0x1
UID:
Route String: 1
Firmware Version: 44.1

Last edited:
Reactions: andrewpsy

niroola

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2010
SoCal
Browsing this thread for guidance on a new dock when...

Time will tell if it does in fact supply the requisite power. Btw, thanks everyone for posting your experience here and blazing the trail for the rest of us. I'm still undecided but I am between the HP G2 and Dell WD19TB.

seangrimes590

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
Villanova, PA
Some information about the Dell WD19TB dock. I plugged it in and it worked, no nonsense with drivers or anything else, so that was refreshing. The downstream TB3 port is reported to be 40gb/s instead of the half-speed that some docks give you (though I think all Titan Ridge docks should give full 40gb/s). Charging is reported to be 90 watts which iStat seems to confirm with DC in. It is amazing to see a laptop spike up to 140 watts when starting a Handbrake conversion. It held up over 105 watts of total system power for a full 5 minutes so even the Apple supplied 96w charger is going to have some trouble there.
DCIn.png

DellDockPower.png

DellTBInfo.png

tokanizar

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
So let's say you can maintain that high wattage usage for an extended time, how long until you can notice the battery being drained (to say 98%)? I'm not good at math, or physics.

seangrimes590

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
Villanova, PA
So let's say you can maintain that high wattage usage for an extended time, how long until you can notice the battery being drained (to say 98%)? I'm not good at math, or physics.
Running an hour long handbrake transcode that is using 85-93% of the CPU, while connected to an external 4k display (about 20w draw from Radeon card) now. I started at 100% battery using the Dell dock. I'll let you know the percent battery after the hour long transcode is done.

Reactions: tokanizar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.