Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2020
I've never seen someone put their username in the photo unless they are trying to offload it to a potential buyer.

What are you planning on doing with the Xiaomi Mix Fold 3?
Just didn't want people stealing my photos. Keeping this and my Xiaomi to see which I like more

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
magsafe charger has only been discontinued likely because of it being re-released with a USB C version.

Magsafe remains one of the best things about wireless charging on apple devices. It's a must have now for me.
Man ... I kind of feel like I'm Magneto from the late 80's X-Men TV animated show ..

"Do you know that Magnetism and Electricity?!"

Think: Y is it out of 10's of Android manufactiurers, that have completely out innovated on multiple aspects of smartphones beyond Apple (OLED, AMOLED increases in RAM, lighter phones, more advanced camera's - under display camera's, larger batteries, and RAPID charging rates & Watt's both wireless and wried) ... YET NONE of them thought of the idea of placing any magnets let along stronger magnets aroun dthe Qi wireless charging coils on the phone!?

Apple's MagSafe charges at a MAX 15w and the HEAT products is noticeably warm but the magsafe chargers are warm as well.

Did you read the threads on here that I mentioend earlier - regarding iPhone 12 mini and 13 mini battery health dropping after using MagSafe?!

Think about this one deeply.
PS: no longer gonna derail this thread.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Man ... I kind of feel like I'm Magneto from the late 80's X-Men TV animated show ..

Think: Y is it out of 10's of Android manufactiurers, that have completely out innovated on multiple aspects of smartphones beyond Apple (OLED, AMOLED increases in RAM, lighter phones, more advanced camera's - under display camera's, larger batteries, and RAPID charging rates & Watt's both wireless and wried) ... YET NONE of them thought of the idea of placing any magnets let along stronger magnets aroun dthe Qi wireless charging coils on the phone!?

Apple's MagSafe charges at a MAX 15w and the HEAT products is noticeably warm but the magsafe chargers are warm as well.

Did you read the threads on here that I mentioend earlier - regarding iPhone 12 mini and 13 mini battery health dropping after using MagSafe?!

You know what the Qi 2 standard is, exactly what you’re going to see in just about every single Android phone that has wireless charging in 1-2 years?

A bunch of magnets arranged around an induction coil. Basically, it’s MagSafe. Stop with the conspiracy theories around MagSafe and/or wireless charging. :rolleyes:

What is Qi2 wireless charging? Everything you need to know

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

But they have

Why do you think QI 2 is being made a big deal out of? So it can be MagSafe with all future android phones

Smartphones shouldn’t not have MagSafe capabilities these days. It’s an important stage of all future smart phones.

Apple led the way with MagSafe and now it’s going to be standard rather soon.

Battery health wise I don’t put any stock in that being true. Battery health was only bad on the 14 series but older phones with MagSafe barely dropped at all.

If anything using wired charging is what hurts long term battery health

• Love
Reactions: tbayrgs

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Best Buy is knocking off $300! For those that are interested...
Screenshot_20231026_065850_Best Buy.png

Reactions: Bkdodger

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
But they have

Why do you think QI 2 is being made a big deal out of? So it can be MagSafe with all future android phones

Smartphones shouldn’t not have MagSafe capabilities these days. It’s an important stage of all future smart phones.

Battery health wise I don’t put any stock in that being true. Battery health was only bad on the 14 series but older phones with MagSafe barely dropped at all.

To be fair, all charging is going to have varying effects on battery health. Excess heat, whether from wireless or wired charging from isn’t good, but neither is the super fast high speed charging.

Good battery health is like good BBQ…low and slow is best. 😂

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Ain't none of us around here keep their phones long enough to worry about battery health.. lol

Though I have to say I kept my iPhone for 3 years charged it strictly wirelessly and when I sold it it had 86% battery health which I thought was pretty good.. I don't ever worry about it ..
I usually upgrade my iPhone every year and my Android every year or two. I do try to avoid worst battery charging practices as my iPhone will be handed down to one of my kids who will then keep it for another 2-3 years, but I’m not gonna lie, convenience is often paramount and being able to drop a phone on a charger when and where-ever is great.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I usually upgrade my iPhone every year and my Android every year or two. I do try to avoid worst battery charging practices as my iPhone will be handed down to one of my kids who will then keep it for another 2-3 years, but I’m not gonna lie, convenience is often paramount and being able to drop a phone on a charger when and where-ever is great.
I could count on one hand the times that I've actually used the wired charge ... I just think that if you slow charge especially overnight these phones are smart enough to handle it properly.. of course you have to shop wisely with all the wireless chargers out there and there could be plenty that are definitely not good for any of our phones...

Reactions: tbayrgs

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Just make it officially $1,499 at this point. Lol. Because everyone gets the $200 off. But from a marketing perspective, it's clever. Saying you saved $200 sounds better than believing you paid full retail at $1,499. Lol.
$1,699 with $200 off = "yay I saved $200."
$1,499 with no discount = "ugh. I wish I had a discount."
Screenshot_20231026-113855.png

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Just make it officially $1,499 at this point. Lol. Because everyone gets the $200 off. But from a marketing perspective, it's clever. Saying you saved $200 sounds better than believing you paid full retail at $1,499. Lol.
$1,699 with $200 off = "yay I saved $200."
$1,499 with no discount = "ugh. I wish I had a discount."
Of course, it's marketing lol. But regardless, $1500 for a foldable is still pretty good compared to the competition.

So, what is your initial thoughts on it so far?

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I saw somewhere posted that if you use a third party launcher obviously the task bar is not enabled.. to be expected I guess.. as for the camera there were some reports of condensation.. one person had it on the car vent But did say cleared up after 45 seconds.. just a few things to consider testing for us..

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You know what the Qi 2 standard is, exactly what you’re going to see in just about every single Android phone that has wireless charging in 1-2 years?

A bunch of magnets arranged around an induction coil. Basically, it’s MagSafe. Stop with the conspiracy theories around MagSafe and/or wireless charging. :rolleyes:

What is Qi2 wireless charging? Everything you need to know

But they have

I read the link.

Othe than stating it'll take care of heat issues that's it - nothing else, nothing specific. I cantbe the ONLY person that sees that link as a marketing tool?

Good that rigorous testing for licensing approval will happen, but that's nothing different than Apple's MiFi program for accessories makers either.

What I stated about Apple's MagSafe - which is NOT Qi2 - was based on first hand experience(s) of myself and many other iPhone users on this sites forums, not conjecture.

Until it's proven - all we have is why it's all been talked about. Anyone have a hi Watt wireless charger and phone to go with it can chime in? What's the W and perceivable temp and change if any on battery health?!

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2020
So my quick fire thoughts after 1-2 days ownership:

• Build Quality: Fantastic. Phone feels solid and tight
  • Weight: Defo lighter than my Xiaomi Fold 3 and iPhone Max models. It just feels light in the hand.
  • Battery: Very good seems to last me 1.5 days and I am a heavy user both for personal & work
  • UI: Excellent. Every bit as good as Samsung UI and better than the other folding phones out there.
  • Camera: Excellent Sharp pics and GREAT Telephoto lens
  • Misc: Love how easy the Ring/Vibrate/Silent button is. Perfect for changing modes without looking when going into a meeting or off to bed etc.
The only tiny gripe is the lack of wireless charging but I can live without that as it charges quickly.

Overall I would highly recommend it.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Tell me there’s a way to see notifications in different colors …watching video they were stating all notifications come in white regardless of source

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Wasn’t aware the OnePlus Open had the capability to do freeform windows… that’s interesting. But it’s disappointing that all apps are not capable of doing it. And I really like how OnePlus did their dock (taskbar)… especially the app drawer shortcut.

I think what’s missing from the app drawer shortcut… being able to pin apps, because if I’m not mistaken… the dock is limited to only four apps (not including the recent app area).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.