Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
wow you were that impressed huh? What impressed you?
Build, camera, display, less pronounced crease. Software seems well implemented for a foldable. I'm gonna start looking into it more. Luckily it's still backordered several weeks so I can always change my mind. Still love my PF and the pixel experience so I'm not 100% yet.

Reactions: jamezr

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This device is worth all the money I've paid for.
Grid-Art-20231101-112430994.jpg

You've had this device less than 30 days and you've stated this?

Sure it may be great for you, I don't doubt that it is, just saying wait for thr honeymoon phase to wear off where you've used it fully for everything you need and would want to use it for in all aspects & situations is all I'm saying.

if you have then great. It does look like a real kit but I wonder just how much it deveats from the parent device, Oppo Find N3, is it just the OS and native gOogle servixes suport alone,

Yeah, I know you don‘t find it as useful as the way Samsung has done with their devices. And I agree with you partially, but the other part of me is just delighted in something different.
Likewise. Having this level of competition bodes well for a very advanced and modern Z Fold 6! The amount of revenue and profits gained by Samsung this most recent quarter also contributes to this presumption, or assumption if you prefer. And I'm not basing this off the title trigger happy crappy per week youtube channels starting with "Whats up guuuuys" lol.

It’s more to try it and compare.

I wouldn’t do it without the discount and if it’s only valid until tomorrow may need to pass

You must have a lot more liquid funds than the typical smartphone fan and user cause $250 doesn't seem like much a discount. Unless honey browser add-in and your credit card is helping out significantly. All the power to you.

i think in 6-7 mths should you decide to keep the Open you may begin to wonder why it sho it shouldve been delayed another 2 mths of production to get that sweet SDGen3 - even if the GB6 number doesnt show a major improvement, the real world case will show more. Having a boost in how the cores lead to lead to the software such as Luma Fusion and the like, we may see more offers with Samsung partners and more partnerships increase. We shall see.

Build, camera, display, less pronounced crease. Software seems well implemented for a foldable. I'm gonna start looking into it more. Luckily it's still backordered several weeks so I can always change my mind. Still love my PF and the pixel experience so I'm not 100% yet.

That crease will increase as time and more open:close operations increase. It's simple physics, notice how even Mr Mobiles pre launch visit to Oppo's testing facility didn't get to show the crease of their claimed 1 million folds? The stat specifically was for the hinge mechanism but NOT for the folding glass which is more important to me and all users. Like most components of a car usually outlast the fuel injection headers, spark plugs and turbos (for those that use them), shouldn't those last as long as the engine block?! All components are used equally, just like the folding glass and the hinge do. Just something to consider. I want to believe though as if proven equally sound in quality then Samsung really needs to push theie R&D department to look into better glass creation for this segment of products.

In oarticular I'd love to see patent sharing to best all competitors and mostly us the customers.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
You've had this device less than 30 days and you've stated this?

Sure it may be great for you, I don't doubt that it is, just saying wait for thr honeymoon phase to wear off where you've used it fully for everything you need and would want to use it for in all aspects & situations is all I'm saying.

if you have then great. It does look like a real kit but I wonder just how much it deveats from the parent device, Oppo Find N3, is it just the OS and native gOogle servixes suport alone,

I've had enough foldables to determine what's best for me. I don't need a 'honeymoon' as you describe it. I've had the Fold 2 and 3. I always complained about the narrow outer screen. Samsung wouldn't listen, so I switched to the Oppo Find N2.

Hardware-wise, it was great, but the Chinese ROM had some limitations. Now I have the OnePlus Open. It has a ROM tailored to Western users. All my notifications arrive on time.

I find multitasking better implemented on the OnePlus compared to Samsung, and most importantly, the outer screen is almost as large as the iPhone 15 Pro Max. So yes, this is my best foldable so far.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
You must have a lot more liquid funds than the typical smartphone fan and user cause $250 doesn't seem like much a discount. Unless honey browser add-in and your credit card is helping out significantly. All the power to you.

i think in 6-7 mths should you decide to keep the Open you may begin to wonder why it sho it shouldve been delayed another 2 mths of production to get that sweet SDGen3 - even if the GB6 number doesnt show a major improvement, the real world case will show more. Having a boost in how the cores lead to lead to the software such as Luma Fusion and the like, we may see more offers with Samsung partners and more partnerships increase. We shall see.
When you are spending big money 1599 to be exact to get 250 off is very much welcomed. Paying 1349 sounds a lot better than 1600-1700

in reality I don’t think people will see much of a difference between SD gen 2 and gen 3 certainly not on a foldable. The same tasks will be done the same and from all reports the battery life is very good on the open as it does have a bigger battery than the fold 5

by the time we see SD gen 3 with the fold 6 the next version of the one plus open won’t be far away

Reactions: DeepIn2U

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Wasn’t aware the OnePlus Open had the capability to do freeform windows… that’s interesting. But it’s disappointing that all apps are not capable of doing it. And I really like how OnePlus did their dock (taskbar)… especially the app drawer shortcut.

I think what’s missing from the app drawer shortcut… being able to pin apps, because if I’m not mistaken… the dock is limited to only four apps (not including the recent app area).

Interesting.

Seems like what is shown when launching the first app then the second via two-finder down-swipe form the top of the Open, shown at 3:04 in the video, it's essentially running 2 apps individually BUT showing a semi full screen (9/10) of what you would normally get on ANY phone - for a single app running. It's just laying it out similar, in a sense as a virtual desktop is windows/macOS/linux/Unix.

New to foldable but it's not a new thing just a new way of showing something existing.

Next, what this youtuber shows between 6:05 to 7:05 shows the strength of the ZFold series creating this market segment. I've said this before that the majority of apps available on the PlayStore have been coded and updated to work on foldable with the Z Fold series first and foremost to simply work - split screen: both horizontally and vertically.

Unfortunately he makes the sorry excuse that he just doesn't know how anyone can get anything done on the 1 half to 2 quarter split screen. Considering he has used and own the Z Fold for some time and non of his previous earlier videos complained about this before, I smell SHILL 100 Fold lol. This specific split screen is to reference the 2 quarter apps and use the 1/3rd app (half screen) as the full interactive app.

What's sad is NOBODY is showing how the keyboard is shown in all versions of split screens across all foldables (full qwerty or split qwerty keyboard for data entry) which is a CRUCIAL element to having a foldable in being productive.

Sadly, once again the media consumption mafia takes precedence over the full purpose of the market segment and design purpose of the products. Uggh. Like nobody uses smartphones to work, smarter in the first place!

I await proper comparisons from Tech With Benefits, Dave2D and others that usually dive deeper but Dave2D has been more busy with laptops of late.

Reactions: Ludatyk

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Unfortunately he makes the sorry excuse that he just doesn't know how anyone can get anything done on the 1 half to 2 quarter split screen. Considering he has used and own the Z Fold for some time and non of his previous earlier videos complained about this before, I smell SHILL 100 Fold lol. This specific split screen is to reference the 2 quarter apps and use the 1/3rd app (half screen) as the full interactive app.
Remember, it’s his personal opinion. He even admitted that some might disagree with him.

Sadly, once again the media consumption mafia takes precedence over the full purpose of the market segment and design purpose of the products. Uggh. Like nobody uses smartphones to work, smarter in the first place!
Exactly! And as a productivity tool… the Galaxy Fold is huge. S-Pen OFFICIAL support and DeX, then there’s no lottery trial concerning which apps support all multitasking features. Although, the OnePlus Open supports stylus.. they didn’t bother to advertise it as such, which is odd.

And don’t get me twisted, I like the OnePlus Open… I‘m rooting for it. I hope it succeeds in the foldable space… have no issue if a user choose it over the Galaxy Fold.

I await proper comparisons from Tech With Benefits, Dave2D and others that usually dive deeper but Dave2D has been more busy with laptops of late.
Dave2D already got his hands on it, he didn’t really go into detail with the software... focused primarily on the hardware. And the trend nowadays is to claim the OnePlus Open the best foldable on the market due to the outer (cover) display.

And I seen the vid from Tech With Benefits, I share the same thoughts with him. He mention that the point of a foldable is to unfold it. As he alluded to if a user is using the outer (cover) display a substantial amount of the time… then why not just go with slab.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
What’s better is one thing but I love we have competition at last in Europe and US markets

I know it’s only 3 but it’s better than just 1 with the Z fold. They should hopefully push each other so we should get more from each other

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
What’s better is one thing but I love we have competition at last in Europe and US markets

I know it’s only 3 but it’s better than just 1 with the Z fold. They should hopefully push each other so we should get more from each other

Agreed.

Next up for 2024 is IP68 rating (Dust and Water resistance not repellent) as a standard. Full mobile-stylus support for air-gestures and on-screen gestures and more sensitivity to drawing and angles as to be immediate with no perceptible lag (Samsung got this). More rigidity in terms of crease resistance over longer period of time NOT just focusing on the HINGE longevity to folding (Oppo resolved the latter twice over now). More powerful and robust applications:

I want AI-enabled bots to do the work ON SoC's NPU's for calculating miniscule price fluctuations of crypto. Monitoring email to create PROPER Email Rules so I do not have to build them. When I drop an email from a sender into JUNK and stays there for 3 days - AI should unsubscribe me - without sending any data to the vendor/site admin that a human is actually processing the action - ESPECIALLY if a site did NOT implement Unsubscribe to the link in the email footer, sneaky pickeys). AI should KNOW etransfer emails should automatically go into eTransfer sub-folder. AI should know from my Maps app that Work is my employer and be able to lookup my title in my contacts and fish out my works Org Chart to determine any emails within the corporate mailbox coming FROM management should be considered VIP and alert me differently (even to prompt my alert preferences when figuring that out, but 1x unless I ignored silent/sleep alerts to direct emails vs cc'ing/bcc'ing to me). AI should also delay sending an email I sent to management by 5 seconds, or alert me to any spelling mistakes or forgotten attachments if I mentioned the word and to understand any sweet pictures from my baby is NOT to be included and to mute sms distractions whilst I type and send my reply - OR to ignore vocal input if I accidentally pressed voice button whilst typing an email if I'm on the phone with anyone using my headphones or speakerphone.

^ BUT AI isn't going to figure this out UNLESS the OS knows that the USER is primary 1st above all use.

Reactions: The Game 161

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Somehow the Emerald Dusk is 'out of stock' in most countries. Want to order a second one for GF. But I bet they are playing games here. Creating a fake hype.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
My 250eur discount is gonna be wasted, it's worth until 17/11. But OnePlus Open on EU market is out of stock for a long time now.

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2020
Does anyone know if the OnePlus Open supports Dual Apps of the same app (I don't have mine with me at the moment to check)? Eg my Xiaomi Fold allows me to have 2 Instagram apps running at the same time so I can be logged into personal and work accounts simultaneously...

pdauser92

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
London, UK
Does anyone know if the OnePlus Open supports Dual Apps of the same app (I don't have mine with me at the moment to check)? Eg my Xiaomi Fold allows me to have 2 Instagram apps running at the same time so I can be logged into personal and work accounts simultaneously...
Is this what you’re looking for:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.