Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
EU
Not impressed with the durability of this case - seems to have an issue over the speaker ports
That’s disappointing to see. On my last photo, you can see there’s some flex, but it doesn’t bother me. I can barely see the silver edges behind it. Yours is extreme, I’d try to contact Logitech.

baronbuzby

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Maidenhead, UK
That’s disappointing to see. On my last photo, you can see there’s some flex, but it doesn’t bother me. I can barely see the silver edges behind it. Yours is extreme, I’d try to contact Logitech.

Apple replaced it - but I’m now selling the replacement - and have bought the Apple Smart Keyboard for gen 4 at half price. I also bought a ESR magnetic Smart Cover for when not on the keyboard (only £14)

Reactions: slplss

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Is the only keyboard or accessory that enables a Surface type experience with the kickstand? That is one thing about the Surface that is really great - the kickstand. Really wish Apple would build this into the iPad line. I have a magic keyboard, but would really like a kickstand too.

I know! The kickstand is one of the best things about this case. I can pop the kickstand out and watch a video while I brush my teeth or place it on my dresser. And I don’t need to carry a keyboard everywhere like with the Apple case.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2021
If I was going to be sitting in a recliner and putting this thing in my lap, would it be pretty terrible? I tried the Brydge but I hated the weight and having to charge it, and I had the Magic Keyboard at one point and loved it, but this is a lot more affordable to me right now. I like how you can detach the keyboard, but I’m just not sure about lapability with a kickstand.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
If I was going to be sitting in a recliner and putting this thing in my lap, would it be pretty terrible? I tried the Brydge but I hated the weight and having to charge it, and I had the Magic Keyboard at one point and loved it, but this is a lot more affordable to me right now. I like how you can detach the keyboard, but I’m just not sure about lapability with a kickstand.
Depends on whether you are gonna use the keyboard. With the kick-stand resting on keyboard it will be very stable on your lap, but it is wobblier (not terrible) if you want to use the keyboard.

Reactions: sparksd and slplss

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I use it on my lap in a recliner (and in bed) with a pillow. This puts it at the right height for me and eliminates any wobble. I love this case so much. Keeping it clean is so much easier than the SKF or MK.

Reactions: slplss and grmlin

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2021
I use it on my lap in a recliner (and in bed) with a pillow. This puts it at the right height for me and eliminates any wobble. I love this case so much. Keeping it clean is so much easier than the SKF or MK.
Just a regular pillow? I think I am going to give it a shot. I really like the overall package of the Combo Touch. I was just worried about the kickstand in my lap.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Just a regular pillow? I think I am going to give it a shot. I really like the overall package of the Combo Touch. I was just worried about the kickstand in my lap.
I mostly use a square 18" x 18" throw pillow, so it might not be as thick as some regular bed pillows. The other advantage of propping it up on a pillow is you're not looking down to the screen, but straight across. That can be better for neck strain, etc.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Depends on whether you are gonna use the keyboard. With the kick-stand resting on keyboard it will be very stable on your lap, but it is wobblier (not terrible) if you want to use the keyboard.

This works great with the keyboard folded back, both in a recliner and laying in bed using a pillow wedge. This really made this case my favorite for my 12.9 iPP (I have way too many cases ...).

Reactions: Significant1

cargobrian

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2015
Long Island NY
Still trying to figure out which is the better keyboard to invest in. The MK or Combo touch for my 12.9

I am concerned with the quality of materials (rubber) that Apple uses for their products. Also not sure about the combo touch footprint.

I am leaning towards the Combo Touch as it protects the iPad much better and the keyboard is detachable.

guitarguy316

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
Still trying to figure out which is the better keyboard to invest in. The MK or Combo touch for my 12.9

I am concerned with the quality of materials (rubber) that Apple uses for their products. Also not sure about the combo touch footprint.

I am leaning towards the Combo Touch as it protects the iPad much better and the keyboard is detachable.
Your last statement is why I chose the Combo Touch. Plus it has more angle viewing options. If you are only ever going to use your iPad at a desk, then maybe the MK makes sense. Otherwise for multi-purpose use I’d go with the Combo Touch.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2021
Your last statement is why I chose the Combo Touch. Plus it has more angle viewing options. If you are only ever going to use your iPad at a desk, then maybe the MK makes sense. Otherwise for multi-purpose use I’d go with the Combo Touch.
So, are you saying that you can use the Combo Touch in say… Your lap? I am still trying to figure that one out. If I knew I could use it in my lap (I sit in a recliner and not a chair, so it wouldn’t be falling over my knees to the floor) then I would buy this bad boy ASAP. I just don’t want to invest in a lap desk or use a pillow to get it to work properly on my lap. I’ve been considering the Smart Keyboard Folio, but I don’t know if that is right for me. I’d REALLY like to buy the Combo Touch, but if it can’t stay in my lap then it’s useless to me.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
So, are you saying that you can use the Combo Touch in say… Your lap? I am still trying to figure that one out. If I knew I could use it in my lap (I sit in a recliner and not a chair, so it wouldn’t be falling over my knees to the floor) then I would buy this bad boy ASAP. I just don’t want to invest in a lap desk or use a pillow to get it to work properly on my lap. I’ve been considering the Smart Keyboard Folio, but I don’t know if that is right for me. I’d REALLY like to buy the Combo Touch, but if it can’t stay in my lap then it’s useless to me.
I've had both and I can't confidently say that neither provides an amazing lap experience. BUT, if lap usability is a must, then I would go for the Combo Touch because it provides more protection IF the iPad falls somehow, AND it has a lower center of gravity than the MK. If you're not worried about falling over, then the MK might be better because it has a higher viewing angle, and that always has some merit in helping with not slouching over.

At the end, I've learned that my MK with the MagEZ case gives me 90% of what I need, but I'm inclined to think the Combo Touch is the one for you~

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2021
I went ahead and ordered it. I’ve tried the Brydge 12.9 MAX+ and the Magic Keyboard, but never the Combo Touch. We’ll see if it works out for me. I hope it does because it seems really nice!

cargobrian

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2015
Long Island NY
Keeping the Logitech keyboard as its features are very functional and give you a lot of options. MK will be sent back Immediately.

Thanks for the above comments, they have been helpful.

Reactions: 0128672

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
beside the camera cut is different, does this case works for ipad pro 12.9 3rd generation?

Oreon

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2011
How’s the fit on the 12.9 now? I originally sent two back as the corners didn’t fit properly, fine on my 11 although travelling soon and wanted to take my 12.9 so was going to try this again.

onionperson654

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2007
Has anyone seen any coupons or discounts for the Combo Touch? Or perhaps something from a store like Best Buy that could be applied?

The Combo Touch seems like the best fit for me, but after the new iPad and pencil, spending another $200 seems a bit steep. Even a little discount might make me feel better about going for it.

cargobrian

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2015
Long Island NY
I have officially gone back to the new white MK. The overall performance is better and you have less bulk. I realized that after using the CT for the past week or so, that I prefer using the iPad in landscape mode and prefer the keyboard at all times.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I have officially gone back to the new white MK. The overall performance is better and you have less bulk. I realized that after using the CT for the past week or so, that I prefer using the iPad in landscape mode and prefer the keyboard at all times.

These are definitely personal preference items and about the only way you can really decide is to try them and see what you like. For me, I tried and returned the MK and kept the Logitech.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Just got my Combo Touch for my Air 4.
E6BEDAD9-27A1-4E30-BD68-9D13604EC654.jpeg

Reactions: slplss and nfl46
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.