Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonstar

Suspended
Sep 13, 2021
You made some good points, enjoy your MK. Lately I’m using Combo Touch mostly for the protective case/kickstand without keyboard (w/ pen). IMO, that’s the beauty/selling point of it, I don’t have to carry the keyboard around when I don’t need it. MK wins it if you’re more of the pro-keyboard user.
Exactly, kick stand is excellent, and the material is much nicer on the Logitech, no marks/smudges at all.

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
I bought a MK just because I wanted to make a fair comparison between the two and I must say that I am returning the Logitech.

Reasons for me to get the MK over the Logitech:

1. The keyboard just feels ”nicer”, the keys, sound and typing it’s a more premium material and in my opinion also a nicer texture.
2. Opening it and closing it is faster, on the Logitech is a bit clunkier to setup.
3. The MK trackpad is a bit more responsive and easier to do all the gestures. I could have some issues with the Logitech if I didn’t positioned my fingers completely horizontal for going back as an example.
4. I’ve noticed more battery drainage on the Logitech as opposed to the MK
5. The fact that I requires more real estate to operate (due to the kickstand) makes it very challenging to have it work on your lap or when you are on the bed.
6. it’s a bit lighter (circa 80 grams) but in reality the most noticeable thing for me is that when I removed it as I want to use it as a portrait mode or just without the keyboard it feels a lot lighter than the Logitech one (and it should as you are running it naked!)
7. There aren’t many situations where I need it detached and with the kickstand and having it with the keyboard is absolutely fine.
8. If you are concerned about the fact that it is less protected than the Logitech you can always buy an additional case compatible with the MK such as Pitaka MagEZ Case 2: https://global.ipitaka.com/collections/magez-case-2-for-ipad-pro-2021
9. Having the iPad floating and closer to is it’s a big deal! You only notice it when you actually have the both of them and you can compare them side by side and I really like it that it feels more ”immersive”
10. The extra USB C charging on the left is super useful, especially if for whatever reason your charging point is on that side, your cable doesn’t reach then other side or you can just tuck the cable away nicely while also having the other port free.

That's why I ended up keeping both. lol

Each of these have their pros and cons. MK is best if you really want to use the keyboard most of the time. The Combo touch is best if you want to use the iPad in the traditional sense as a tablet on your bed, couch, etc without having the keyboard hanging with it at all times but still get all around protection.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Does pulling the iPP out of the combo to use with the MK cause wear and tear in the Combo or iPad? I’ve been thinking about addin the Combo to us along side the MK when needed.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Does pulling the iPP out of the combo to use with the MK cause wear and tear in the Combo or iPad? I’ve been thinking about addin the Combo to us along side the MK when needed.

I change my 2021 12.9 iPP out of the Combo to use with different cases and haven't had any issues. I'm careful removing it but it's no big deal.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I change my 2021 12.9 iPP out of the Combo to use with different cases and haven't had any issues. I'm careful removing it but it's no big deal.
Many thanks. I've got one on order to alternately use with my MK. I will follow your lead and flip them as needed. One possible issue is the overall larger size of the Combo vs. the MK (they of course had to accommodate the Function Key row. I hope it fits in my existing carry and camera bags. But, I can always flip folios/bags ?

Speaking of bags! Pad & Quill. The strap is just a temporary fix, camera strap to use until P&Q release a real shoulder strap in 2022.

IMG_5373.jpeg

IMG_5374.jpeg

Last edited:

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
That's why I ended up keeping both. lol

Each of these have their pros and cons. MK is best if you really want to use the keyboard most of the time. The Combo touch is best if you want to use the iPad in the traditional sense as a tablet on your bed, couch, etc without having the keyboard hanging with it at all times but still get all around protection.
Follow-up after gently nudged to purchase by great forum members! It just arrived, and I’m typing on it now. IMHO the trackpad works great. Much better than the Brydge I sent back previously. The larger size of the trackpad over the MK is much appreciated.

The keyboard feel is very good. I will have to spend some time with it and my 2020 MK to see if I prefer one over the other. I do find the spacebar needs a good push, when compared to my MK. Maybe it will loosen up with age?

I mistakenly ordered the Sand color over the Dark Grey. Other than eventual dirt/grease showing worries I think I like the Grey better.

OMG am I loving the function keys that of course the MK does not have! I’m not sure yet if this is really a design that will work on the lap as opposed to a desk. The MK is probably more lap friendly.

I think for travel I am going to be glad to have a fully enclosed/side protected iPP. Also, I won’t have the hassle of carrying both the MK and plain Apple folio.

I hope I haven’t bored you all. I’ll follow-up if I find some more pros and cons.

Edit:

After a couple of days with the Combo Touch I feel like I made a good purchase. I have not spend a lot of time using the keyboard. I feel like I have to give the key pushes a little more effort than on my 2020 MK, but of course I've hit those keys a lot more.

Does anyone think the Combo Touch Keys will, in time, require a little less effort? The space key feel is something I need to get used to. No big deal really, I learned to type on a
non-electric typewriter. "Suck it up", I say to myself. :p

The tactile feel of the woven cloth like covering is really, really nice. Not to mention the looks over a naked MK ( I do have my MK skinned with a D-Brand skin BTW). Hopefully with care, and careful cleaning the Combo Touch will continue to look good.

One other issue I have is while using the YouTube app. I get some cursor freezing, and in fact screen freezing. I have to back out and restart the app. I contacted Logitech and told me to update the firmware on the Combo Touch, the iPad, and the app. Which I found were all current prior to their recommendation. They also said to kill Accessibility settings. I did have one on that wakens the iPad from sleep by screen touch. I have turned that off and will see if anything helps. And I did reboot the iPad just for good measure.

In keyboard use mode I do of course have to have more desk real estate for the back "wing" that allows much greater angles than the MK. I just fits on my laptop lap board when I'm on the couch. I'm wondering if this is going to work well on an commercial fold down tray on a plane (with the keyboard)?

In bed without the keyboard I use a little padded (padded on the bottom) tray with an adjustable angle iPad holder from Amazon. Works great!

Again, sorry to bore you all with my "late to the game" Combo Touch revelations. It is just nice to find a product that offers so much utility and good looks in one product!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: slplss and sparksd

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Check out the Apple-exclusive colour way which is in between the too dark grey and the sand. That’s what I got and like it more.
Now you tell me :p;) Since I’ve already returned another Combo to Amazon, unopened once, I dare not return another one and get on their “naughty list”. But your right, the Apple version color is the sweet spot!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: slplss and LeonPro

sonstar

Suspended
Sep 13, 2021
Returned mine, I just don't use a keyboard enough and the stand without it is just too heavy.
Speakers sound better without the case too.
Back to the folio only.

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
There was an App Store update to the Logitech Combo Touch keyboard as well as a firmware update.

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
I updated the app as it says version 2.0, but the firmware is current it states. I'm rocking the Apple-exclusive colourway.

What firmware version is it?

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Where can I find this version? I went on Logitech.com and only see Sand and Oxford Grey. Is it available in the U.S?
Apple-exclusives are only available when purchased directly from their store both online and in-store.

Another exclusive colourway is their Belkin 4-pack AirTag case which comes in shades of blue. It’s really elegant.

skyyo

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2016
I just purchased the LCT today and there is a firmware update. To manually update open the Logitech app and press the below keys ON THE SCREEN IN THE APP

Q W E + OPTION KEY

Reactions: LeonPro

Oreon

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2011
Apple-exclusives are only available when purchased directly from their store both online and in-store.

Another exclusive colourway is their Belkin 4-pack AirTag case which comes in shades of blue. It’s really elegant.
There's no apple exclusive colour is there? the grey one on the apple site is exactly the same colour as the one you can buy anywhere from what I can see..

Anyway after sending back 3 of the grey ones for the 12.9, putting up with a grey one on the 11 inch until I sold that I bought the 12.9 sand before Christmas and its just as annoying to use as before, app scaling issues (apps randomly appear larger than the screen - only happens when using the Logitech combo), trackpad gesture issues, the only problem is I can't send this one back as bought it direct from Logitech and its been too long (was a Christmas present and hardly had chance to try it out until a couple of days ago), will just keep it for when I travel where I won't have to use that god awful trackpad as much.

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
I just purchased the LCT today and there is a firmware update. To manually update open the Logitech app and press the below keys ON THE SCREEN IN THE APP

Q W E + OPTION KEY

Wow. I didn't know this function exists. Thanks.

I did perform the manual update after which it still reported the same firmware version being v00.11.01.05 and App v2.0.92.

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
There's no apple exclusive colour is there? the grey one on the apple site is exactly the same colour as the one you can buy anywhere from what I can see..

Anyway after sending back 3 of the grey ones for the 12.9, putting up with a grey one on the 11 inch until I sold that I bought the 12.9 sand before Christmas and its just as annoying to use as before, app scaling issues (apps randomly appear larger than the screen - only happens when using the Logitech combo), trackpad gesture issues, the only problem is I can't send this one back as bought it direct from Logitech and its been too long (was a Christmas present and hardly had chance to try it out until a couple of days ago), will just keep it for when I travel where I won't have to use that god awful trackpad as much.

Logitech Oxford Grey PN 920-010097
Logitech Sand PN ‎920-010119

Logitech Apple PN 920-010096

For whatever reason, Apple created it's own version and the firmware doesn't need updating.

Chargr

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I haven’t update the firmware of the keyboard now that I noticed but anyone else have the issue of the trackpad freezing? Like the pointer on the screen freezes or disappears for a min or 2.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2021
I never got this keyboard, but I did get the Zagg Pro Keys and I really enjoy them.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2021
I’m in the market for a new keyboard, and I was considering the Logitech Combo Touch… But how is the lapability? I usually sit in a recliner, so I have a lot of room for my legs to be propped up. I don’t have a desk, so yeah. I’ve been hesitant to try the Combo Touch because of the kickstand for that very reason: the lapability. What’s it like, folks?

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
I’m in the market for a new keyboard, and I was considering the Logitech Combo Touch… But how is the lapability? I usually sit in a recliner, so I have a lot of room for my legs to be propped up. I don’t have a desk, so yeah. I’ve been hesitant to try the Combo Touch because of the kickstand for that very reason: the lapability. What’s it like, folks?
I wouldn't suggest the Logitech for this use case. I would suggest the Apple MK or another third-party option that has a flat bottom.

shamus99

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2014
just got this… anyway to toggle bookmark bar with a single button? I know this works (control command 1)

I really hate the numerous times i have to tap to close bookmarks

thanks

shamus99

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2014
just got this… anyway to toggle bookmark bar with a single button? I know this works (control command 1)

I really hate the numerous times i have to tap to close bookmarks

thanks
also… anyone have a dongle recommendation that fits this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.