Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I have the MK, Combo and Slim Folio. The Combo is solid! I love the protection the Combo offers and the function row. I rarely have to touch the screen. I’m unsure which I will keep between the MK and Combo.

Reactions: slplss and jazz1

onionperson654

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2007
Has anyone seen any coupons or discounts for the Combo Touch? Or perhaps something from a store like Best Buy that could be applied?

The Combo Touch seems like the best fit for me, but after the new iPad and pencil, spending another $200 seems a bit steep. Even a little discount might make me feel better about going for it.
So to answer my own question for anyone buying, I found a 10% student discount (if you can qualify for it, doesn't seem to be very rigorous), plus a 5% rebate if you click through Rakuten. Perhaps 15%/$30 helps push it into the yes category.

Mine is on the way. Here it to hoping it works for my needs...

Reactions: sparksd

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
I bought the Combo Touch for my iPad Pro M1 11-inch. I like everything about it except for one major issue. The touchpad constantly stops responding to any input. The only way to get it to respond is to press one of the keys on the keyboard. Then the touchpad will work for a while. I’ve reinstalled the firmware, made sure the contacts are clean, rebooted the iPad and played around with various settings. None of this has made a difference. There are similar complaints about this from others in the Logitech forum. It doesn’t seem to be a hardware problem since people have exchanged it with the same problem occurring.

Reactions: frifra

Aka757

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
Houston
I got the M1 iPad Pro 12.9 a couple days ago, along with the Magic Keyboard. I got the Logitech Combo Touch folio yesterday to try alongside the Magic Keyboard, and have decided to stick with the Magic Keyboard. I do really like the feel of the iPad in the Combo Touch without the keyboard; it feels grippy and protected. Really liked the function row on the keyboard as well, wish Apple had that on the MK. Ultimately, the footprint of the Combo Touch with the keyboard attached was too much for me to use comfortably on my lap or on my desk setup. I also felt the trackpad on the Combo Touch wasn’t nearly as smooth as on the MK, and the keys felt mushy (as if they were stuck, but they definitely weren’t). I hate to spend the extra $120 but I do feel it’s worth it. The Combo Touch will work well for many people though, it is a good product.

Reactions: slplss

Oreon

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2011
Ive noticed they have released a sand coloured version of the combo touch, I went through two grey versions for my 12.9 sent black due to fitment and trackpad issues, and could never get on with the one I settled with for my iPad Pro 11 ive recently sold, although really tried to persevere with it I was sick of the amount of issues I was experiencing.

Has anyone tried the sand version, as its newer wondered if they have ironed out all the issues now ? I’m still interested in getting it again for my 12.9.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Has anyone tried the sand version, as its newer wondered if they have ironed out all the issues now

In my experience it's wishful thinking that it would be any different to the grey one.

sonstar

Suspended
Sep 13, 2021
Sold my 12.9" MGK, hated having to carry the keyboard all the time or no case without it, going to give this combo a try, being detachable case and a stand too should suit me better. Bought from amazon so can test it out and return if no good.

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
Yes, it’s mentioned on Logitech’s site too:

”Read Mode: Detach the keyboard—or reattach it with the keys turned inward—to read books, articles, and more.”

I don’t actually like to have it attached because it really adds too much weight to have it comfortable so whenever I am not using the keyboard I just detach it.

Oreon

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2011
I bought the sand touch combo and although ive only been using it for an hour I feel like ripping what little hair I have left from my head a lot less than when I was using the original release grey one, maybe they have refined internal components…

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
I also have that random issue where the touchpad just stops responding on the Logitech Combo Touch (2021 12.9" iPad Pro). Always have to detach/reattach keyboard for it to work again. Firmware says up to date in the Logitech app (same FW since launch). Is it an iOS issue?

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
I finally gave in and purchased the Logitech Combo Touch for my 12.9. I have the Apple Magic Keyboard purchased on day 1 with the iPad Pro M1. While I appreciate the design, I was annoyed having to be with the keyboard at all times with no ability to rotate it upright unless you take the iPad out.

This Logitech Combo Touch is more versatile as a stand-alone case if needed or with a keyboard attached. Perfect for travelling.

I actually got the Apple-exclusive colourway which sits between the Dark Grey and the Sand colour sold outside the Apple store. I like Apple's shade of colour better.

Pros:
- detachable keyboard
- protective case
- Apple Pencil cut-out
- magnetic cover when folding both ways - either toward the screen or at the back of the iPad.
- adjustable kickstand
- elegant fabric-like texture

Cons:
- heavy overall
- kickstand will need more tabletop space than the Magic Keyboard, which holds within its own keyboard footprint.
- a bit difficult to open as the only cut out to pry the cover is via the Apple Pencil slot.
- uses more battery EVEN in sleep mode

Reactions: slplss and grmlin

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I finally gave in and purchased the Logitech Combo Touch for my 12.9. I have the Apple Magic Keyboard purchased on day 1 with the iPad Pro M1. While I appreciate the design, I was annoyed having to be with the keyboard at all times with no ability to rotate it upright unless you take the iPad out.

This Logitech Combo Touch is more versatile as a stand-alone case if needed or with a keyboard attached. Perfect for travelling.

I actually got the Apple-exclusive colourway which sits between the Dark Grey and the Sand colour sold outside the Apple store. I like Apple's shade of colour better.

Pros:
- detachable keyboard
- protective case
- Apple Pencil cut-out
- magnetic cover when folding both ways - either toward the screen or at the back of the iPad.
- adjustable kickstand
- elegant fabric-like texture

Cons:
- heavy overall
- kickstand will need more tabletop space than the Magic Keyboard, which holds within its own keyboard footprint.
- a bit difficult to open as the only cut out to pry the cover is via the Apple Pencil slot.
- uses more battery EVEN in sleep mode

Battery use in sleep mode? I don't see that at all with mine on the 12.9.

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Battery use in sleep mode? I don't see that at all with mine on the 12.9.

Yes, during sleep mode. Did you have the Apple Magic Keyboard experience? I don't think the battery drain is evident unless you were used to the Apple one and then switched to Logitech.

I've seen a couple of posts on Reddit and also Macrumors highlighting this observation and they said detaching the keyboard will solve the issue.

I also saw one post at the Logitech site and their suggestion was to restart the iPad and ensure the firmware is updated. My firmware is updated. Restarted the iPad. Now it's charging and will see how much drain it does with the keyboard. Then tomorrow, with the keyboard detached.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Yes, during sleep mode. Did you have the Apple Magic Keyboard experience? I don't think the battery drain is evident unless you were used to the Apple one and then switched to Logitech.

I've seen a couple of posts on Reddit and also Macrumors highlighting this observation and they said detaching the keyboard will solve the issue.

I also saw one post at the Logitech site and their suggestion was to restart the iPad and ensure the firmware is updated. My firmware is updated. Restarted the iPad. Now it's charging and will see how much drain it does with the keyboard. Then tomorrow, with the keyboard detached.

No, I didn't have the MK but I've had my Logitech & iPP sleep overnight without any battery drain. I definitely don't see it (I've used the Logitech full-time on my 12.9 for months).

sonstar

Suspended
Sep 13, 2021
Yes. It’s thicker and beefier. Heavier by approx 70 grams. Both are heavier than the actual iPad Pro 12.9.
Just had one delivered, for $250AUD v $549 for Apple MGK, the Logitech is a no brainer for the price, also with a stand that's removable, and the extra row of keys. Trackpad is just as good.

Reactions: 0128672 and LeonPro

sonstar

Suspended
Sep 13, 2021
This case is so good, if there is one neg viewing is a bit further away than the MGK, same as using a laptop though so no issue.
Other than that it’s so versatile, stand options without keyboard are so good, on a desk or on lap so much more comfortable than the apple folio case I have been using. Having the top row of keys is like WTF v the MGK.
The material is so much nicer too, no marks and feels good to hold.
Keyboard and trackpad are great, all for $300AUD cheaper than the MGK. Apple need to sack their design team Lol.

sonstar

Suspended
Sep 13, 2021
Mine dropped 1% overnight, 11 hours attached to keyboard.

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
I bought a MK just because I wanted to make a fair comparison between the two and I must say that I am returning the Logitech.

Reasons for me to get the MK over the Logitech:

1. The keyboard just feels ”nicer”, the keys, sound and typing it’s a more premium material and in my opinion also a nicer texture.
2. Opening it and closing it is faster, on the Logitech is a bit clunkier to setup.
3. The MK trackpad is a bit more responsive and easier to do all the gestures. I could have some issues with the Logitech if I didn’t positioned my fingers completely horizontal for going back as an example.
4. I’ve noticed more battery drainage on the Logitech as opposed to the MK
5. The fact that I requires more real estate to operate (due to the kickstand) makes it very challenging to have it work on your lap or when you are on the bed.
6. it’s a bit lighter (circa 80 grams) but in reality the most noticeable thing for me is that when I removed it as I want to use it as a portrait mode or just without the keyboard it feels a lot lighter than the Logitech one (and it should as you are running it naked!)
7. There aren’t many situations where I need it detached and with the kickstand and having it with the keyboard is absolutely fine.
8. If you are concerned about the fact that it is less protected than the Logitech you can always buy an additional case compatible with the MK such as Pitaka MagEZ Case 2: https://global.ipitaka.com/collections/magez-case-2-for-ipad-pro-2021
9. Having the iPad floating and closer to is it’s a big deal! You only notice it when you actually have the both of them and you can compare them side by side and I really like it that it feels more ”immersive”
10. The extra USB C charging on the left is super useful, especially if for whatever reason your charging point is on that side, your cable doesn’t reach then other side or you can just tuck the cable away nicely while also having the other port free.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
EU
I bought a MK just because I wanted to make a fair comparison between the two and I must say that I am returning the Logitech.

Reasons for me to get the MK over the Logitech:

1. The keyboard just feels ”nicer”, the keys, sound and typing it’s a more premium material and in my opinion also a nicer texture.
2. Opening it and closing it is faster, on the Logitech is a bit clunkier to setup.
3. The MK trackpad is a bit more responsive and easier to do all the gestures. I could have some issues with the Logitech if I didn’t positioned my fingers completely horizontal for going back as an example.
4. I’ve noticed more battery drainage on the Logitech as opposed to the MK
5. The fact that I requires more real estate to operate (due to the kickstand) makes it very challenging to have it work on your lap or when you are on the bed.
6. it’s a bit lighter (circa 80 grams) but in reality the most noticeable thing for me is that when I removed it as I want to use it as a portrait mode or just without the keyboard it feels a lot lighter than the Logitech one (and it should as you are running it naked!)
7. There aren’t many situations where I need it detached and with the kickstand and having it with the keyboard is absolutely fine.
8. If you are concerned about the fact that it is less protected than the Logitech you can always buy an additional case compatible with the MK such as Pitaka MagEZ Case 2: https://global.ipitaka.com/collections/magez-case-2-for-ipad-pro-2021
9. Having the iPad floating and closer to is it’s a big deal! You only notice it when you actually have the both of them and you can compare them side by side and I really like it that it feels more ”immersive”
10. The extra USB C charging on the left is super useful, especially if for whatever reason your charging point is on that side, your cable doesn’t reach then other side or you can just tuck the cable away nicely while also having the other port free.
You made some good points, enjoy your MK. Lately I’m using Combo Touch mostly for the protective case/kickstand without keyboard (w/ pen). IMO, that’s the beauty/selling point of it, I don’t have to carry the keyboard around when I don’t need it. MK wins it if you’re more of the pro-keyboard user.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chargr and sonstar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.