Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So happy I got this instead of the Ti. My coworker who is really into material design will be pleased to hear I fixed it, he though it was chemically bonded to the finish for some reason.

I’m enjoying some new old stock woven nylon bands, it’s a shame apple didn’t make more with space gray hardware to match the ceramic.

I like the Ti, (really I do) and I’m not knocking it, just providing my initial thoughts, but the finish scratches relatively easily, even compared to the 7000 Series aluminum, which holds well against scratches. But without the DLC like the Black Ti includes, it’s to vulnerable of a finish. The ceramic is pretty close to the space black stainless in terms of scratch resistance.

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
I like the Ti, (really I do) and I’m not knocking it, just providing my initial thoughts, but the finish scratches relatively easily, even compared to the 7000 Series aluminum, which holds well against scratches. But without the DLC like the Black Ti includes, it’s too vulnerable of a finish.

I initially had the Ti, and I loved the finish. However for the money that I am paying for a watch, much less an Apple Watch, the scratch resistance or lack therof did not hold up to expectations. I returned it, and because I wanted a really durable watch, I decided to go with the ceramic. My plan is to keep this for at least 3 years or more.

Reactions: SoN1NjA

Nancy&co

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2019
Devon
Hi, I am seriously thinking of joining the ceramic club ? but I wondered if the ladies on this forum had any more pictures of their ceramic watch with bands etc. I am just wondering how versatile the watch would be for me as I have tiny wrists so it would have to be a 40mm which rules out leather loops straight away ? - really wish apple would make them for both sizes. Any pics would be much appreciated ?

Robbenisland

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2015
I have the 44 ceramic. Have been 42/44 on all models since the original AW. Never considered the smaller size as I am a man. Now with the ceramic I am considering switching to the 40mm. Two reasons:

1. White makes objects look bigger. I had a Rolex Explorer II with the white face and it looked considerably bigger than the same watch with the black face.
2. The ceramic is a tiny bit bulkier than the steel/Ti/Alu models. You can see it with the „lip“ between the Glas and the case. I assume the overall size of the watch is 2mm bigger than the other materials.

On my wrist the 44m ceramic sits almost fully on the wrist when looking from a top. So the 40mm could be a smoother overall fit.

Any men here who opted for the 40mm vs 44mm and what is your experience?

nattK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
The Upside Down
I have the 44 ceramic. Have been 42/44 on all models since the original AW. Never considered the smaller size as I am a man. Now with the ceramic I am considering switching to the 40mm. Two reasons:

1. White makes objects look bigger. I had a Rolex Explorer II with the white face and it looked considerably bigger than the same watch with the black face.
2. The ceramic is a tiny bit bulkier than the steel/Ti/Alu models. You can see it with the „lip“ between the Glas and the case. I assume the overall size of the watch is 2mm bigger than the other materials.

On my wrist the 44m ceramic sits almost fully on the wrist when looking from a top. So the 40mm could be a smoother overall fit.

Any men here who opted for the 40mm vs 44mm and what is your experience?

Same. I opted for the 40mm ceramic over the 44mm this time round because it sits on my wrist better and the sensors are always in contact with my skin. With the 44mm, they're not really in full contact with my wrist at certain angles. Only downside is that I now have a bunch of useless 42/44mm watch bands.

Reactions: nikotown

Robbenisland

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2015
Same. I opted for the 40mm ceramic over the 44mm this time round because it sits on my wrist better and the sensors are always in contact with my skin. With the 44mm, they're not really in full contact with my wrist at certain angles. Only downside is that I now have a bunch of useless 42/44mm watch bands.

do you have pictures?

nikotown

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2019
San Francisco
I've invested too much on 42mm/44mm bands by now. I don't think I'll ever be changing now ?but I can see the appeal of the 40mm

Reactions: YaShiMo and rumz

Robbenisland

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2015
interesting: the height to width ratio between the 40 and 44 is different. The 40 is a bit more elongated. Might add to a more elegant look vs the slightly more boxy Devise look.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
Does anyone know if the published dimensions of the ceramic watch are indeed different than for the others 44mm watches. Looking larger because it is white, is very different from being larger, in the sense of actual measurement.

Robbenisland

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2015
Does anyone know if the published dimensions of the ceramic watch are indeed different than for the others 44mm watches. Looking larger because it is white, is very different from being larger, in the sense of actual measurement.

Either the ceramic case is bigger or the glas is smaller. Otherwise you would not get the lip between the Glas and the ceramic. This lip is not on the other models.

Nancy&co

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2019
Devon

Series 5 44mm
37.84 overall width
44.08 overall height

Series 5 Ceramic 44mm
38.52 overall width
44.76 overall height

Nancy&co

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2019
Devon
Thanks.

so it is bigger in measured terms.

If you go back to page 28 on this forum one of the other members put up a chart of all the differences in measurements between the ceramic 44 and all the other 44 mm watches, its actually really interesting.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
Thanks.

The white does nothing for me. If they did black next year, I would look again. I went from SBSS to natural Ti, back to SBSS.

JoshCalvetti

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
the ceramic is wider because the lip is for structural integrity. Though it is weird that the difference is so much more visible on the s5 than it was on the s2/s3

jenicekk

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2017
I replaced my Ti Watch with a Ceramic Apple watch + Black Leather Loop. I couldnt be happier, what a beautiful watch!!. Its a lot more expensive but worth it. My Ti Watch looked terrible after nearly 2 weeks, it got scratches so easily, i was shocked! & i was using the Watch carefully in this 2 weeks..
I still have a Ti SpaceBlack too, which is a lot more scratch resistant compared to the natural Ti.

My titanium watch is scratched in one week. I am extremely careful, but the coating on the watch is damage from sleeves of the sweatshirt!

Reactions: louisitou

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Well decided to buy the Ceramic. Local store had stock. Bought it sat outside the store and white stock strap wasn’t locking. It would slide in and slide right out.

Went back in and they replaced it straight away.

Second set the white strap had sligh cuts all over it. I think when they packaging it they pushed it in and the paper packaging had made those marks.

I didn’t bother about this so I left and went home.

I have an existing titanium that I was using from day 1

I notice that compared to my titanium the display of the ceramic was very washed out.

The blues in the the messaging app wasn’t as vibrant as my other watch.
Also in the settings menu the greys were very light vs the other watch that was dark

I went back to the store and returned it

if I’m going to spend $2000 I need to be at least happy with it

they wanted me to try another one but I was like no I’ll wait for a different batch to come in before doing so

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
My sports band that came with the Ceramic 44mm has dark black marks on it too. I called Apple on launch day, but they cannot send a replacement band because they couldn't find it in their system. Oh well...

LostAggie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
I really like the white ceramic but for $1500 I really should love it. I am returning for now and waiting to the next series to spend that much. My rationale is this isn’t the right series to hold onto to multiple years as battery life isn’t great. Going to stick with either SBSS or SBTi for this series...

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
Hi, I am seriously thinking of joining the ceramic club ? but I wondered if the ladies on this forum had any more pictures of their ceramic watch with bands etc. I am just wondering how versatile the watch would be for me as I have tiny wrists so it would have to be a 40mm which rules out leather loops straight away ? - really wish apple would make them for both sizes.

I have a smaller wrist for a guy, and I typically wear a 37mm or 38mm regular watch. I knew the 40 would be perfect. I too wish they made the leather loops in a smaller size, but the modern buckle is pretty nice.

IMG_1184.JPG

Nancy&co

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2019
Devon
I have a smaller wrist for a guy, and I typically wear a 37mm or 38mm regular watch. I knew the 40 would be perfect. I too wish they made the leather loops in a smaller size, but the modern buckle is pretty nice.

View attachment 874269

That size does look perfect on you! I like the modern buckle it looks great with the silver stainless steel version but not so great with other versions because of the silver lugs. I feel the leather loops are more versatile as they avoid this issue. My wrist size is actually only 5.5 inches and with the ceramic being even bigger than the other 40mm versions I’m debating whether I can wear the ceramic without it looking ridiculous on me.

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
You're right, the stainless steel modern buckles are not so great, but the space black stainless steel modern buckle compliments the ceramic quite nicely.

I would say go to a store and try one on if you can. I notice hardly any different in size or weight on my wrist in comparison to my previous Titanium S5.

Reactions: nikotown
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.