Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
So, I was in the garage working and I had totally forgot to remove my watch while trying to cut a bolt off of a car part with an angle grinder. I did everthing else (hearing protection, eye protection), but forgot the damn watch, stupid me. My wrist was not covered by my sweatshirt, and as I looked down in horror I saw my S5 getting pelted with bits of ground off, hot metal.

I took it off a minute later and noticed these black marks on the watch now. They seem to be bits of metal that have cooled to the coating of the watch. Some cleaning spray removed the dust, but some black spots are still there.

View attachment 872447

Does anyone know how to polish these out of the ceramic? Otherwise I’ll have to wait until I somehow damage the watch to get a new one through AC+.
Man, I feel for you. Hope you get it sorted

RAMM

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2016
Chicago
Checking in with the Saddle Brown leather loop! Just arrived on Monday.

I have to admit, after wearing nothing but SS models since 2015 (S0, S2, S3 and S4), the ceramic is taking some time to grow on me, but it's definitely getting there... I also have a Midnight Blue leather loop from 2015, nicely weathered after the years... Leather loops look awesome with this model, I think!

IMG_4362.jpg

jaytee86

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Checking in with the Saddle Brown leather loop! Just arrived on Monday.

I have to admit, after wearing nothing but SS models since 2015 (S0, S2, S3 and S4), the ceramic is taking some time to grow on me, but it's definitely getting there... I also have a Midnight Blue leather loop from 2015, nicely weathered after the years... Leather loops look awesome with this model, I think!

View attachment 872530

yes I have this combo as well and Super tempted to get the black leather loop from this season haha... think the reason why it works is cos of the full colour look without any metal lugs. Looking forward to collecting more bands!

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I seriously need to stay out of this thread. Its making me regret returning my Ceramic and I have one loaded in my Apple shopping cart....
The ceramic is a strange strange model. I had nothing good to say about it when it was released. I put one on and I had to have it.
S5 came out, F the ceramic. Then I came here. Then I tried it on. Then I ordered it.
It’s surely not for everyone, but for those it is, it’s love.
Don’t have regret. Buy it again and enjoy it.
I am a Levi’s and the cheapest polo style shirt person. I don’t wear watches normally.
I’ve had the S0 SS, S2 SS and ceramic, S3 ceramics, S4 SBSS and S5 ceramic.
I’ve only been happy with the ceramics.
treat yourself and enjoy

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
I’m pretty sure it’s only a matter of time before I cave and buy one of these. Am I correct that the ceramic model is only available directly from Apple?

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I’m pretty sure it’s only a matter of time before I cave and buy one of these. Am I correct that the ceramic model is only available directly from Apple?
Some flagship stores have them on hand. The average Apple store doesn’t

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
Some flagship stores have them on hand. The average Apple store doesn’t
I’m just realizing this— I checked istocknow and yeah— there just isn’t physical inventory anywhere.

But I also mean that you can’t order online from other retailers like Amazon or Best Buy, either. Interesting.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I’m just realizing this— I checked istocknow and yeah— there just isn’t physical inventory anywhere.

But I also mean that you can’t order online from other retailers like Amazon or Best Buy, either. Interesting.
That’s a big ole negative. This ceramic is Apple exclusive this time around. I believe Best Buy had ceramic refurbs at one point.
don’t fret about delivery, you can always redirect it to a UPS store. I did that to avoid the signature required game.

nattK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
The Upside Down

My guess is that it's because Apple Watch Studio is currently limited to Apple Stores and the Apple Online Store. Unlike the other models with standard band configurations (e.g. space gray/black with black sport band, silver with white sport band, gold with pink sand/stone sport band, etc), the titanium and ceramic models have no standard band configurations. At least that's how I'm seeing it, since you can't buy any Apple Watch or Apple Watch Nike models from third party retailers outside the usual band configurations.

confessJason

Cancelled
Oct 14, 2011
So, I was in the garage working and I had totally forgot to remove my watch while trying to cut a bolt off of a car part with an angle grinder. I did everthing else (hearing protection, eye protection), but forgot the damn watch, stupid me. My wrist was not covered by my sweatshirt, and as I looked down in horror I saw my S5 getting pelted with bits of ground off, hot metal.

I took it off a minute later and noticed these black marks on the watch now. They seem to be bits of metal that have cooled to the coating of the watch. Some cleaning spray removed the dust, but some black spots are still there.

View attachment 872447

Does anyone know how to polish these out of the ceramic? Otherwise I’ll have to wait until I somehow damage the watch to get a new one through AC+.

In all honesty, I think that looks cool. A sign of the journeyman.

Reactions: bruinsrme

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
The ceramic S3 used to be available from other stores outside Apple but I don’t think the S5 ceramic is available from anywhere except Apple

wileycoyote

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010

I don’t think that’s accurate then. We definitely have inventory at our flagship store of all the Edition watches, just checked.

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
I don’t think that’s accurate then. We definitely have inventory at our flagship store of all the Edition watches, just checked.
Good to know. I may have to swing by my store and just ask if they ever get those in or whether I should just order online already.

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA

View attachment 872447

Magic Eraser is great at getting rid of weird stains and stuff - not sure how it would affect the surface of the watch though....

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
Magic Eraser is great at getting rid of weird stains and stuff - not sure how it would affect the surface of the watch though....

I’m going to try the cooktop cleaner someone recommended. The worst it can do is leave a weird finish and I’d be no worse for wear in that aspect lol.

Otherwise I will try the magic eraser.

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
So happy I got this instead of the Ti. My coworker who is really into material design will be pleased to hear I fixed it, he though it was chemically bonded to the finish for some reason.

I’m enjoying some new old stock woven nylon bands, it’s a shame apple didn’t make more with space gray hardware to match the ceramic.

Reactions: bruinsrme
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.