Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have a question. Is the back of the ceramic watch, the same as the SS watch backs ( the part that rests on your wrist)?

Thanks

Hey Jaybar, if you compare specs on Apples tech-spec page for the Apple Watch, you’ll find your answer.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
I think the back where the sensors are is the same material for all types of apple watches.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
Material. I am sensitive to watches on my wrist, so I want to make sure the back is identical to my SSSB. If it is slightly different size, that does not matter.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Material. I am sensitive to watches on my wrist, so I want to make sure the back is identical to my SSSB. If it is slightly different size, that does not matter.
It’ll be the same glass as all other AW’s with the surround made out of the same material as the watch choice. In this case the surround will be ceramic.

Robbenisland

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2015
Is the ceramic edition Watch face color the same as the natural titanium edition watch face color? I know that the SBTI is darker, not sure between ceramic and Ti.

jaytee86

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Is the ceramic edition Watch face color the same as the natural titanium edition watch face color? I know that the SBTI is darker, not sure between ceramic and Ti.

no they have their own individual shades for edition colour. It’s not the same.
Ceramic’s white, sbti is dark grey and ti is light grey..

noticed it while watching the titanium I boxing’s and comparing to mine..

Reactions: Robbenisland

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Well I decided in favor of returning my ceramic and sticking with my Stainless Hermès. While the ceramic is beautiful, I don’t find it as versatile as the SS when it comes to bands. I know it’s totally a preference thing but I have so many watch bands that go with the SS and only a few with the ceramic. I figure I can always purchase it again if I feel like I really need to have that glorious white again.

JoshCalvetti

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
since we're on the subject of the back of the watch, I do find this ceramic model just a _little_ less interesting than the older versions (design wise)- it would have been really neat if they could have stuck with the unibody construction for the case itself, since the whole thing is already ceramic. Don't get me wrong, I'm still planning on getting the new model at some point here, but I think the old one was a little bit more impressive with the ceramic wrapping around the back more fully.

gagee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
Well I decided in favor of returning my ceramic and sticking with my Stainless Hermès. While the ceramic is beautiful, I don’t find it as versatile as the SS when it comes to bands. I know it’s totally a preference thing but I have so many watch bands that go with the SS and only a few with the ceramic. I figure I can always purchase it again if I feel like I really need to have that glorious white again.
Did you return the titanium as well? I am trying to decide between that and stainless steel again. As you mentioned it is more versatile.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Did you return the titanium as well? I am trying to decide between that and stainless steel again. As you mentioned it is more versatile.

Yes, I did. I have the S5 Stainless Hermès and that’s what I’m sticking with.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
I visited the Apple Store today. I currently have the S5 SB SS. I am still within my exchange window. I looked at the SB Ti. I had mixed feelings. I liked the fact that it was somewhat lighter. Yet, I did not like the fact that the screen and surround, look very distinct because of the matte finish of the SB Ti. They really blend together, much better on the SB SS watch. I also felt the SB ML, worked better with the SB SS watch. The ML bands are the only bands I can easily use, so I will be sticking eith them.

LostAggie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
I visited the Apple Store today. I currently have the S5 SB SS. I am still within my exchange window. I looked at the SB Ti. I had mixed feelings. I liked the fact that it was somewhat lighter. Yet, I did not like the fact that the screen and surround, look very distinct because of the matte finish of the SB Ti. They really blend together, much better on the SB SS watch. I also felt the SB ML, worked better with the SB SS watch. The ML bands are the only bands I can easily use, so I will be sticking eith them.

I ended up returning the SBTi because it just didn’t do much for me appearance wise. Currently debating between the ceramic and SS. Both “pop” to me. The SBSS I had for the past two watches and want a change but do like it. Stay away from the SB Milanese band. You have to be way to careful with it to both scratch the screen.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
I ended up returning the SBTi because it just didn’t do much for me appearance wise. Currently debating between the ceramic and SS. Both “pop” to me. The SBSS I had for the past two watches and want a change but do like it. Stay away from the SB Milanese band. You have to be way to careful with it to both scratch the screen.

The Milanese Loop is the only band I can use.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
SS version of the ML or the whole watch ? I currently have the SBSS watch and corresponding ML.

LostAggie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
SS version of the ML or the whole watch ? I currently have the SBSS watch and corresponding ML.

The band. Like the SBSS but had that combo a couple of versions ago and the SB ML really does cause scratching issues....

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
@LostAggie

I just got a new charger which allows me to keep the watch on its side and the band well away from the watch. When I first got an AW (S4). I used the puck tgat cane with it which certainly caused scratches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.