Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Random thought on Samsung S8...

I'm almost completely happy with the unlocking options.

1) Face Unlock - not particularly secure but very convenient
2) PIN - as per usual
3) IRIS Scanner - as a second option (after fingerprint) it's generally really good
4) Fingerprint sensor - I use a case, and have big hands, so I'm almost totally used to the positioning. It could be located more separately from the camera, but I still understand Samsung's reasoning and it doesn't bother me at all.

I hope Samsung don't rush out some half-baked Face ID competitor or an under-screen FPS that isn't reliable.

I love tech reviews and websites but these lot don't tend to use phones for more than a couple of weeks. I use an S8 as a daily driver and the unlocking options are great for me.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Random thought on Samsung S8...

I'm almost completely happy with the unlocking options.

1) Face Unlock - not particularly secure but very convenient
2) PIN - as per usual
3) IRIS Scanner - as a second option (after fingerprint) it's generally really good
4) Fingerprint sensor - I use a case, and have big hands, so I'm almost totally used to the positioning. It could be located more separately from the camera, but I still understand Samsung's reasoning and it doesn't bother me at all.

I hope Samsung don't rush out some half-baked Face ID competitor or an under-screen FPS that isn't reliable.

I love tech reviews and websites but these lot don't tend to use phones for more than a couple of weeks. I use an S8 as a daily driver and the unlocking options are great for me.
Exactly between the FPS and Iris Scanner the unlocking of my S8 is fairly transparent. Not sure why people make such a fuss over it.

Reactions: JaySoul

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Exactly between the FPS and Iris Scanner the unlocking of my S8 is fairly transparent. Not sure why people make such a fuss over it.
Well I wish I could use the combination of both, but I had to disable the iris scanner as my eyes strongly disliked it. I had an uneasy (not exactly pain but really uncomfortable) feeling in my eye for 15 minutes or so after using the scanner, so a prolonged use was a no-go.

Reactions: 5105973

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
Hoping the S8 experts here have something helpful on a major issue I've encountered with my precious S8, it was all going so well!

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS8/comments/7fa4vk/secure_folder_locked_unathorised_software_is/

On a side note I handled an X at the airport last week:

- It's chunky/heavy
- Camera bump on the back feels crazy, especially considering increased bulk
- S8 screen is at least as good as iPhone
- Notch is annoying
- The OS while boring in comparison is slick, still smoother than Android it seems
- I miss touch to scroll to top of an app, and copy/paste cursor movement on iOS is still ahead also

..overall still happy with the S8, but the secure folder issue has me spooked a little.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Hoping the S8 experts here have something helpful on a major issue I've encountered with my precious S8, it was all going so well!

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS8/comments/7fa4vk/secure_folder_locked_unathorised_software_is/

On a side note I handled an X at the airport last week:

- It's chunky/heavy
- Camera bump on the back feels crazy, especially considering increased bulk
- S8 screen is at least as good as iPhone
- Notch is annoying
- The OS while boring in comparison is slick, still smoother than Android it seems
- I miss touch to scroll to top of an app, and copy/paste cursor movement on iOS is still ahead also

..overall still happy with the S8, but the secure folder issue has me spooked a little.

Sorry, I don't use Secure Folder!

I set it up at the start but found it too faffy. I don't have real secrets or a mistress to keep from my wife :D

Weird issue though.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I stopped wearing my Huawei Watch two weeks ago as Android Wear 2.0 just doesn't seem to cut it and started using my series 0 Apple Watch again. Naturally the Apple Watch won't communicate with the S8+, so I thought I'd be switching my main SIM back into my iPhone. However, I've been moving my SIM to my iPhone "tomorrow" for the last two weeks. For some reason I'm starting to think maybe I should give the Gear watch a chance instead :p

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I stopped wearing my Huawei Watch two weeks ago as Android Wear 2.0 just doesn't seem to cut it and started using my series 0 Apple Watch again. Naturally the Apple Watch won't communicate with the S8+, so I thought I'd be switching my main SIM back into my iPhone. However, I've been moving my SIM to my iPhone "tomorrow" for the last two weeks. For some reason I'm starting to think maybe I should give the Gear watch a chance instead :p

Android Wear.... What a disappointment.

By contrast, Samsung seem to actually take Tizen seriously and it's showing. Love it.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Android Wear.... What a disappointment.

By contrast, Samsung seem to actually take Tizen seriously and it's showing. Love it.
I was using one at B&H and was surprised at how good the Ui was. I didn't realize it actually runs Tizen, not Android wear.

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2010
Can anyone recommend a kickstand case for the S8 Plus? I have the official clearview cover which is OK, but doesnt offer very good protection for falls etc, and there are lots of bugs with using this case - most notably in 'always on' mode with the case closed the phone always displays the digital time, despite what your settings say! Very annoying and definitely not worth the premium asking price from Samsung plus the drop protection is pretty rubbish IMHO.

Alternative kickstand cases I can see are the two offerings from Spigen - are there any other makes available at a similar price point?

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I bought my wife a Galaxy S8 for Christmas, she is going to love this thing! I got it yesterday and was playing with it today, very nice but I still like the wide display my XL. She currently has an S6 Active, this will be a nice upgrade

Last edited:

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
I bought my wife a Galaxy S8 for Christmas, she is going to love this thing! I got it yesterday and was playing with it today, very nice but I still like the wide display my XL. She currently has an S6 Active, this will be a nice upgrade
You bought her a gift and played with it first? Wow.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Got a 560mb software update yesterday... G950FXXU1AQL5

Also 1 December 2017 Security Patch. Plus better Bluetooth performance, allegedly.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
While looking through videos I took before Christmas, I noticed a weird issue with dark videos. When viewed in the Windows 10 Videos app, and also when uploaded through the Google Photos website, contrast is washed out and blacks become grey. However, when viewing in VLC or directly in a web browser, the videos look correct. Also viewing them directly on the S8 they look good.

Has anyone else noticed this? It's only with my S8 videos. Looking back at similar videos taken with S7 and prior devices, those are fine. And while it's only really noticeable with dark videos, this issue with lack of contrast happens with all videos recorded on my S8 when viewed with Windows 10 Videos app or Google Photos. It's almost like a flat grading profile would look on some cameras.

At first I thought it was just a Windows 10 bug until I noticed the videos look the same in Google Photos -- both the website on desktop and the Android app.

Here are some screenshots. The file named Browser is the video viewed in Firefox. The other is the Windows 10 Photos/Videos app.

Anyone have ideas on how to correct these? Ideally Google Photos would show the correct saturation since that is how I planned to preserve the videos for long term storage.

Attachments

• Browser.png
    Browser.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 231
  • VideosApp.png
    VideosApp.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 243

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Just wondering if anyone might be experiencing the same problem I have a few times a week. It seems that whether I am using WiFi or data only, the connection will just quit and nothing will load. Apps won't load anything and websites won't work. I either have to reboot the phone or reset network settings. Usually I just reset the network settings.

This is on an US unlocked S8+. I have a Note 8 that never has this problem. Both are on T-Mobile with the 3 all in lines promo so I have unlimited everything and this is not the problem and it doesn't happen with the other two phones.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
Good to see Oreo out before the release of the next galaxy s line. Getting better

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Good to see Oreo out before the release of the next galaxy s line. Getting better

Yep, if only they still remembered to offer also security updates when preparing a new releases I wouldn’t have much to complain about. However, with the 3-month gap they had, I’m not exactly happy.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Yeah. Got served with that update notice/minder earlier today. Delayed it myself.

So far I haven't had a single issue with my S8. Fast as the day I bought it. My only real complaint was the storage size. Buying a high end Samsung MicroSD card does solve the problems of video recording and photos at high resolutions, but native storage is faster and arguably less volatile. I'm really hoping the S9 or S10 brings back storage choices. With the increasing quality of optics each year, more storage is necessary. I would be happy with 256 GB of storage or 512 GB if they offered it.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.