Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertk328

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
It didn’t chip exactly, it lifted the corner of the protector as I hit the watchface on the corner of furniture stand and it ripped a chunk from the protector, terrible protector. The armor suit I had would only lift under such an incident and would never actually tear a corner off.
Hmm, still never had that problem.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Hmm, still never had that problem.
It was an excellent protector initially and I was very surprised how clear it looked compared to the ArmorSuit I previously had but it ended up being FAR less durable than the ArmorSuit. It takes very little force to either lift or to actually damaged the protector. I will be getting the ArmorSuit again if I end up getting the Series 6. I’ve owned every single AW except for the series 5 and I always used the ArmorSuit protector but decided to give another protector a try and my experience has not been good. The only downside to ArmorSuit is the loss of screen resolution clarity but that kinda goes away over time as the liquid under the protector dries out but there will still be some screen clarity loss with the ArmorSuit

Reactions: racostaf

clutchm3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2011
Last time I tried LK there was always a line in the middle with every installation. Has it gotten better?

Been using Armorshield since, I like it as it was the best one I tested but yes a bit rubbery/orange feel peel.

Any others recommended for Series 6? Thanks!

colburnr

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
Crown Point, IN
Last time I tried LK there was always a line in the middle with every installation. Has it gotten better?

Been using Armorshield since, I like it as it was the best one I tested but yes a bit rubbery/orange feel peel.

I purchased this one:

its pricey, but it’s been great so far. Has an application tool to help with the installation.

Reactions: Pink2

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010

Yes the LK is terrible, I had to try several of the protectors until i finally managed to install one out of the box that didn’t have that line in the middle, so basically the entire box of protectors that I received was mostly defective protectors that had that line in the middle but one of them didn’t so I just have that installed now, I don’t feel like purchasing another ArmorSuit protector for now to be honest but to be honest the ArmorSuit is hands down the best protector but it does have a sticky feel that doesn’t feel like glass but the protection it provides out weights the negative

Reactions: racostaf

Pink2

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2020
How don’t you know it’s there? Does it feel and looks exactly the same as the watch’s glass surface? Doesn’t the watchface look raised with that additional glass layer on top of the original glass surface of the Apple watch?

No it isn’t raised at all. The black part just goes over the raised part of the screen, doesn’t cover the aluminum. And the touch is very responsive and smooth to touch (I can’t compare to the actual watch surface as this is my very first watch and I put this on before I even turned it on)

I have Zagg protection on my phone too and have been very happy with it.

ed1ab79d38d40ac68d3c2a0223b264d5.jpg

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
No it isn’t raised at all. The black part just goes over the raised part of the screen, doesn’t cover the aluminum. And the touch is very responsive and smooth to touch (I can’t compare to the actual watch surface as this is my very first watch and I put this on before I even turned it on)

I have Zagg protection on my phone too and have been very happy with it.

ed1ab79d38d40ac68d3c2a0223b264d5.jpg
I can clearly see it’s raised in your photo, that is a dealbreaker for me personally as it takes away from the beauty of the watch. I prefer the ArmorSuit as you can barely tell it’s installed when installed properly

nycgeo

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2005
NYC
Since owning Apple Watch 0, and nearly every series between except 1 and 5, I have never used a case or screen protector. When I got the first Apple Watch, I chose SS, and the sapphire screen was the best part. No scratches in 2 years of daily use.

But then when I upgraded to the series 3, I realized that I would likely be upgrading annually or nearly annually and decided to go for the cheaper watch with all the great technology still packed inside. I worried about the screen being too soft and vulnerable to scratches, and my fears were definitely realized. My series 3, and series 4, and now series 6 all showed scratches within days of use. My series 4 screen was totally beat up by the end.

So after getting a hairline scratch on my series 6 screen on the first day of usage, I decided to look for a screen protector or case. I never use a screen protector on my phone, as the case is usually sufficient to protect it, so I decided to look for cases first.

I came across this Spigen thin case, and it’s just awesome. It clicks on and off with ease, is securely attached on to the watch, and adds a really tasteful and not-obviously-there look to the watch in my opinion.

I always use cases on my iPhones, which have beautiful industrial design. It’s sometimes seems like a shame to cover it up, but the fear of dropping it and cracking it is just too much to deal with for me. Besides apples cases usually look really slick on the phones anyway, and can even add to the look with tasteful color pops and sultry materials like leather or top quality silicone.

I think this Spigen Apple Watch case is similar to Spigen’s phone cases in that it’s minimal, tasteful, durable and affordable.

Anyway, here it is, my first watch case for an Apple Watch, and I really dig it:

Attachments

• C7F565F2-56DD-46F3-B574-00CEDDC1ED75.jpeg
    C7F565F2-56DD-46F3-B574-00CEDDC1ED75.jpeg
    390.5 KB · Views: 469
  • BBBAAF39-1F11-4DA6-AF25-DCFACC328854.jpeg
    BBBAAF39-1F11-4DA6-AF25-DCFACC328854.jpeg
    453.3 KB · Views: 468
  • E4807AD2-EF9E-4732-8FD3-EF353AEC209A.jpeg
    E4807AD2-EF9E-4732-8FD3-EF353AEC209A.jpeg
    465.2 KB · Views: 466
  • 46D32693-ABAB-4484-9E05-ED0E6D7942A6.jpeg
    46D32693-ABAB-4484-9E05-ED0E6D7942A6.jpeg
    400.3 KB · Views: 428
Reactions: sneeks

nycgeo

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2005
NYC
Have screen protectors (like this) ever really been necessary on a watch? Get the AppleCare and just wear it. If it gets to the point where the scratches are too annoying, go spend the $70 and get another one.

Otherwise? Hell - spend the $70 and swap it out right before the end of your 2 years, sell it, and buy a gen 2.

As far as I know you can’t really do this. Apple won’t let you return your watch for just scratches on the screen. The screen needs to be cracked

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Since owning Apple Watch 0, and nearly every series between except 1 and 5, I have never used a case or screen protector. When I got the first Apple Watch, I chose SS, and the sapphire screen was the best part. No scratches in 2 years of daily use.

But then when I upgraded to the series 3, I realized that I would likely be upgrading annually or nearly annually and decided to go for the cheaper watch with all the great technology still packed inside. I worried about the screen being too soft and vulnerable to scratches, and my fears were definitely realized. My series 3, and series 4, and now series 6 all showed scratches within days of use. My series 4 screen was totally beat up by the end.

So after getting a hairline scratch on my series 6 screen on the first day of usage, I decided to look for a screen protector or case. I never use a screen protector on my phone, as the case is usually sufficient to protect it, so I decided to look for cases first.

I came across this Spigen thin case, and it’s just awesome. It clicks on and off with ease, is securely attached on to the watch, and adds a really tasteful and not-obviously-there look to the watch in my opinion.

I always use cases on my iPhones, which have beautiful industrial design. It’s sometimes seems like a shame to cover it up, but the fear of dropping it and cracking it is just too much to deal with for me. Besides apples cases usually look really slick on the phones anyway, and can even add to the look with tasteful color pops and sultry materials like leather or top quality silicone.

I think this Spigen Apple Watch case is similar to Spigen’s phone cases in that it’s minimal, tasteful, durable and affordable.

Anyway, here it is, my first watch case for an Apple Watch, and I really dig it:
A case is overkill, just get a screen protector and enjoy the watch as it is meant to be used

nycgeo

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2005
NYC
A case is overkill, just get a screen protector and enjoy the watch as it is meant to be used
Actually I feel the exact opposite on this issue. Just like my practice on the phone, I actually prefer a case to a screen protector. The experience I enjoy the most from the un-cased device is the touch on the screen. Screen protectors can give an artificial feel to the interaction. I have resisted getting a screen protector on the watch for this reason, but have no such issue with a simple case like the one pictured above. As far as how the watch is meant to be used, that has to do with the usage of the watch not the way in which it is or isn’t protected. I don’t think a screen protector or a case affects the way in which somebody uses the device.

Reactions: philrock

dj322

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2020
I bought the Belkin TrueClear Curve screen protector for my AWS 6. The pack says it's for series 4/5 but the 40mm S6 has the same dimensions. I like the over the edge protection and it seems to blend in. It has a lifetime warranty in Europe/Americas.

nycgeo

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2005
NYC
Has anyone used this from Rhino Shield?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07S3518LW

Also any recommendations on cases that cover the actual screen and not just a bumper? Conscious of cheap cases that actually scratch/chip the watch itsellf.
All cases will eventually scratch the watch because of the dirt/micro sand that gets under it from daily use. The best bet is to clean the watch regularly, that will stave off the problem. My solution is to only use a bumper style case and no screen protector. I have the spigen slim case and it looks great. That Rhino Sheild case looks hella bulky, and not what I was looking for in my case purchase. I wanted one that barely increased the size of the watch and was barely visible/low profile.

dj322

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2020
I have the Spigen screen protector, also tried the Belkin one, both with over edge protection. I noticed after a week the Belkin one did trap a lot of dust and particles under the black frame as this part doesn't stick to the watch it just sits over it. Otherwise it blends in quite nicely and can't tell it's there.

Superman041

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
All cases will eventually scratch the watch because of the dirt/micro sand that gets under it from daily use. The best bet is to clean the watch regularly, that will stave off the problem. My solution is to only use a bumper style case and no screen protector. I have the spigen slim case and it looks great. That Rhino Sheild case looks hella bulky, and not what I was looking for in my case purchase. I wanted one that barely increased the size of the watch and was barely visible/low profile.

How tight is your case, I know in the past certain cases are very tight, so when you take it on/off, it scrapes the watch itself. Did you use a screen protector in the end or just stay with the bumper case?

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I just got a used S5 Titanium Watch and never had a screen protector before on my Watches (SS S0 and SS S3 owner prior). I noticed that with all the sanitizing from Clorox wipes, what my S3 had left for an oleophobic coating after 2 years was gone completely. I decided to get one for this Watch to protect it's resell value at the end of the day. Usually I just get Anker or Spigen for my phone and iPad but neither had an option for the Watch so I just went with a cheap option on Amazon. Wow is this thing terrible.

What recommendations do y'all have? I'm thinking about just going for the Zagg UltraClear as it's edge to edge but I haven't seen anyone here really talk about it.

nycgeo

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2005
NYC
How tight is your case, I know in the past certain cases are very tight, so when you take it on/off, it scrapes the watch itself. Did you use a screen protector in the end or just stay with the bumper case?
Hi, the case is “tight”, and as such doesn’t wobble and can be a little tricky to take on-off. However I have a good system for taking it off and putting it on that doesn’t do any damage.

Note that the cases will never damage the watch, the grit and dirt between the case and watch WILL damage the watch. I clean (dust) the watch and case every morning before I charge it and so far I’ve had no scratches from the case. I have however prevented a handful of scratches that would have occurred had the case not been on, when I bumped my wrist against a wall or railing. That’s why I use the case.

chanerz

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2010
Misxi hard case.

Attachments

• 909EED20-DDE5-449A-B8B4-D4E41EF79D1F.jpeg
    909EED20-DDE5-449A-B8B4-D4E41EF79D1F.jpeg
    398.9 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.