Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4bs

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2020
While there have been a lot of debate on using cases and screen protectors for a watch, my lifestyle and work will benefit from having a screen protector and for my sense of well being.
I've googled around and was wondering what everyone is ordering. I was lucky to get be in the wave of shipping on 4/24. I wonder how well these will fit? Will a glass screen protector like the iPhone work with the force touch?
In circumstances where the likelihood of damaging your watch is high, why not just take it off?

Reactions: Ifti

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
I put a WSD on my S4 44 and it caught on a desk and came off a few days later. I did the second one and its stayed on. I agree that they are the best as far as clarity and touch sensitivity but WSD are really fragile and break easy. the WSD I put on my S10 cracked from a 3' fall onto carpet.
6 Month update. Whitestone Dome still on my S4, it's been cracked and chipped. but its still holding on.
IMG_0354.JPG

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
This is probably a long shot, but I'll try...

Does anyone know of a static-cling (dry install, no wet install) screen protector that only covers the center of the screen for a 38mm Apple Watch Series 3? I have an Otterbox Exo Edge case and other cases like it that I use with my watch and I'm looking for a screen protector that would be compatible and wouldn't peel up or bubble up on the edges.

I prefer plastic film over glass, but could compromise. I guess I could do a wet install if need be, but really would rather not since I am obsessive about placing the protector centered just right and can't deal with any dust or bubbles under the protector.

Right now I am using these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O4ER97U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are okay, but they do not lay flush on the edges despite barely covering the center of the screen.

iCorz87

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2019
Sydney,Australia
Does anyone know what the differences are between the spigen Proflex EZ fit and Belkin screenforce trueclear curve protector ?

Can’t say anything about the spigen one but as for the Belkin, in my experience anything after the variant used for AW3 is crap. Does not adhere properly. I returned 3 for my AW5 in the space of 20mins after showing the salesperson that it doesn’t go on correctly.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Is screen protector necessary with AW6 (aluminum)? I mean by that is the screen more prone to scratching than AW3 was?

My AW3 is still in excellent condition and if the screen in AW6 is not more prone to hairline scratching than my current, I don't need protector but if it does scratch from just scrubbing against the shirt and jacket cuffs or just from sliding finger over it, then it is a problem.

I noticed that in iPhone screens scratch easily these days, I actually scratched my brand new iPhone7 screen just from wiping it with new microfibre cloth while cleaning it for screen protector install, so want to make sure AW6 is not like that. From that on I have tried to touch the screen with anything as little as possible before installing screen protector.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I got the Smiling Case for use with 40mm S5 SS: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083R89RWJ/

Works well enough, and is not too hard to pop on and off. The color blends well enough with my black band.

However, if I swim with it, water gets inside the case and the screen becomes unresponsive to touch. I'm sure this is the case for any of these types of cases. I can take the case off for swims, but there is a lot of potential for scraping my watch against something when swimming (especially if my kid is with me in the pool).

I'm mostly worried about the screen, as I shattered mine when I dropped it because I was standing and adjusting the band. Since I have stainless steel, I'm not as worried about the sides of the watch.

I'm thinking of getting a screen protector that you put on with adhesive. The Sigen one looks good, but appears to be out of stock for the 40mm model. Another option would be to get a waterproof case that I'll use when swimming, but those are rather bulky, and would probably want to take it in and out of the case, which would be inconvenient.

This is my first Apple Watch, and it's possible I was just unusually unlucky when I dropped it, so maybe I should just try caseless, and hope I don't have to use my last remaining AC+ $75 screen replacement. I at least know to be very careful when putting on the watch or adjusting the band (rest my arm on furniture when I do that now). But I'm rather clumsy and always banging my arms into things, so I dunno.

rickeames

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2008
My wife put a screen protector on her watch (I created a thread on this and nobody replied, so trying this sticky one instead): if off of her wrist, the screen works just fine. As soon as she puts it on her wrist, it stops working. Take the case off, things work just fine. How can the case stop the screen from functioning while on the wrist? People on this thread have purchased lots of screen protector cases and I don't see anyone having this issue, so not sure what to look for and how to fix her problem.

BostonQuad

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2015
I have Zagg protection on my phone too and have been very happy with it.

These are excellent. https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07Q46XRRV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
SPIGEN Neo Flex Screen Protector Designed for Apple Watch Series 6/5/4/SE (44mm) Clear Film [1-Pack] - Clear

I wanted to like either one of these, but I was very disappointed.

Prelude: I ordered a refurbished watch through Walmart. It came so scratched I hated looking at it and I immediately returned it. (I've never had an issue with refurbished through Apple, BTW.) I decided to buy a new watch and to immediately apply a screen protector to it.

Zagg: First I tried ZAGG Invisibleshield Glass Fusion+. I unwrapped my new watch and applied the cover to it before doing anything else. I watched the directions several times and was careful to follow them precisely. At first I was happy - the touch screen was responsive, and the watch looked good. But within a week an air bubble had formed under the shield. I used the supplied squeegee to push it out. The bubble came back within a day or two. I squeezed it out again. Repeat. The bubble came back more quickly, and grew worse. It became too much of a distraction, and I decided to try the Spigen.

Spigen: Like before, I watched the instructions several times to make sure I followed them precisely. It seemed to go on well. However, I had noticeable and uneven reduction in screen sensitivity. I began learning what areas of the screen were more sensitive, and I learned tricks to deal with the areas that were less sensitive (eg, in some cases one can use Siri rather than interact with the screen). One day after swimming, I found the Spigen on the floor. I had no idea it had even gotten loose (I used the watch after swimming but before the cover fell off, and hadn't noticed anything amiss).

Postscript: Using the watch without a cover is a joy. It responds easily to my touch in all situations. In my experience so far, a watch screen protector is not worth it. But I'd like to find a protector I'm happy with.

Last edited:

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
That looks pretty decent.
It is and I can recommend it still. I've had mine installed since I got my AW6 like half year ago and it is still in very good condition. It does scratch a little easier than real glass but you don't really notice it until looking very closely at certain angle. Also it holds very well, no lifting or bubbling, you just need to be careful while installing and follow the instructions to the letter (you will get bubbles if you don't do it as instructed). Installation tray is excellent and alignment is good. Plus it comes with two protectors!

Reactions: webbuzz

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
It is and I can recommend it still. I've had mine installed since I got my AW6 like half year ago and it is still in very good condition. It does scratch a little easier than real glass but you don't really notice it until looking very closely at certain angle. Also it holds very well, no lifting or bubbling, you just need to be careful while installing and follow the instructions to the letter (you will get bubbles if you don't do it as instructed). Installation tray is excellent and alignment is good. Plus it comes with two protectors!
As a first time Apple Watch buyer this month, I am most likely going to buy this. It should help my scratch phobia.

Last edited:

mattdeezy

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
As a first time Apple Watch buyer this month, I am most likely going to buy this, it should help my scratch phobia.
Yeah, i highly recommend them too. I use a spigen bumper around my watch also sometimes. If you are going to use a bumper case too, install the screen protector while the bumper is on to ensure you get the alignment right. I didn't do this the first time and then every time I took the bumper off it lifted the screen protector on one corner.

Reactions: webbuzz

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Anybody find any screen protectors for the Series 7? I currently use the following and hoping for something like it again, especially if I get aluminum this time.

Pink2

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2020
Anybody find any screen protectors for the Series 7? I currently use the following and hoping for something like it again, especially if I get aluminum this time.

This looks nice. I’d like to know if they come out with one for the 7, I haven’t seen any from anyone so far.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

WhiteHawk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Looks like even screen protector/case manufacturers weren’t given much of a heads up for the Series 7
Which is annoying as with my job I can’t risk wearing the watch till it has some protection on it, so don’t know when I’ll be able to use it.

I’ve already seen a few cases saying they are compatible with the Series 7 40mm and 44mm sizes, which of course it doesn’t come in as it’s 41mm and 45mm now so that’s dodgy.

Last edited:
Reactions: EastHillWill

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
Which is annoying as with my job I can’t risk wearing the watch till it has some protection on it, so don’t know when I’ll be able to use it.

I’ve already seen a few cases saying they are compatible with the Series 7 40mm and 44mm sizes, which of course it doesn’t come it as it’s 41mm and 45mm now so that’s dodgy.
Yeah that’s not a promising start ?

Reactions: WhiteHawk

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Ive never thought of using a screen protector my on watch TBH - I feel that the scratches you pick up on screen protectors are because they are not as 'hard' as the watch glass itself - so you most likely wouldn't have seen that scratch on the watch in the first instance? You only see then on the protector because its relatively cheap glass....?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.