Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2018
After watching episode 8 (Boba), I've got some questions. Didn't Sean lose his sense of smell in an earlier episode? If so, how could he smell (or rather tell) that Julian opened a particular bottle of wine when he returned home with Dorothy from the award show?

Secondly, did anyone else find it odd that Leanne asked Dorothy if she was invited to the award show? I mean if Dorothy is already dressed and preparing to go out for the award show, plus she tells Leanne that she's going to accept an award (or something of the sort), why ask if she was invited?

Not a question but a thought, seems like Leanne was trying to elicit a confession from Julian and she rightfully got one. Does that mean he's potentially saved (since he confessed) from what's coming or from Leanne's coming wrath/judgment?

Also, wonder if Leanne thinks that Dorothy is someone bad (like a dog or unholy, i.e. Matthew 7:6 [do not cast your pearls before swine]) hence the scene of ingesting the pearl? ?

Overall, another great episode!

Reactions: furbzv1

furbzv1

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2014
After watching episode 8 (Boba), I've got some questions. Didn't Sean lose his sense of smell in an earlier episode? If so, how could he smell (or rather tell) that Julian opened a particular bottle of wine when he returned home with Dorothy from the award show?

That totally went over my head last night when i was watching the show. I wonder if this was done intentional or was a whoops by the producers.

Reactions: zinacef

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017

He lost his sense of taste. Anyway, I don’t think he meant it literally when he said he could smell it.

Secondly, did anyone else find it odd that Leanne asked Dorothy if she was invited to the award show? I mean if Dorothy is already dressed and preparing to go out for the award show, plus she tells Leanne that she's going to accept an award (or something of the sort), why ask if she was invited?

Leanne was probably going to ask her whether she was nominated for an award but before she could finish her sentence Dorothy cut her off and said “Invited? Yes!”.

Not a question but a thought, seems like Leanne was trying to elicit a confession from Julian and she rightfully got one. Does that mean he's potentially saved (since he confessed) from what's coming or from Leanne's coming wrath/judgment?

I think he’s saved. She told him ”you would never intentionally hurt someone” in the scene he’s threatening to throw the doll down the stairwell.

Also, wonder if Leanne thinks that Dorothy is someone bad (like a dog or unholy, i.e. Matthew 7:6 [do not cast your pearls before swine]) hence the scene of ingesting the pearl? ?

She now knows the truth about what Dottie did to Jericho and it doesn’t seem by the looks of Leanne’s face and speech that it was accidental. I think the pearls are a metaphor, giving Dorothy a child is like casting pearls before swine, they can’t appreciate it. Not sure as to why she snatched a pearl, maybe she needs a personal belonging to concoct her revenge on Dorothy?

Last edited:

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2018
He lost his sense of taste. Anyway, I don’t think he meant it literally when he said he could smell it.

I know he lost his sense of taste but vaguely remembered from a previous episode he mentioned something about he couldn't smell though I can't be certain.

Leanne was probably going to ask her whether she was nominated for an award but before she could finish her sentence Dorothy cut her off and said “Invited? Yes!”.
Don't you find it odd that if she was being given an award that she had to be "invited" to the ceremony? And if she was being an award, why would they seat her at the guest table as Sean mentioned? My guess/theory is that she doesn't work at the news station any longer. Maybe she stopped working years ago? Another theory I have is that clip of the reporter we saw (blond hair), reporting on something is actually the current news reporter (the reality).

Maybe, as someone mentioned in the thread earlier, that Dorothy is in some kind of mental institution and this is all a delusional state of hers since her psyche is severely fractured? She's dreaming all of this up, or maybe as someone alluded to on reddit, the father is paying to create all of this to serve as a semblance of normalcy for Dorothy?

And why does the father say to Julian, "Glad we could give her a brother." What an odd statement to make.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
@zinacef

My opinion is that Dorothy is hallucinating and it's her hallucinations that we see (at least most of the time). Her psyche is fractured as you say, the characters and happenings we see are but mental representations of reality, emotions, etc. I also believe she's not working anymore. She's either in jail, mental institution, or even at home (perhaps the "boys" locked her up in a room after she murdered Jericho and she's still there). The news reports featuring her are from the past. The new co-worker she once mentioned was probably her replacement when she left and it's her we see in last episode's news report (it's like a glimpse of reality breaking into her hallucination). As for what the father said, I think he meant he's glad they had another child to look after her and support her.

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2019
I dont buy that there is going to be some “Sixth Sense” type reveal. If Shamalalala thinks this can go 6 seasons, there has to be some kind of sustained suspense. We may see Leanne for who she really is. Or maybe find out what actually happened to Jericho. But I doubt we get all of the answers this season. I do predict, however, that we find out what actually happened to Jericho tomorrow when episode 9 is released.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I have yet to watch a single episode, but everyone's recaps/theories have me, at the very least, interested in the final outcome.

No way could I watch 6 seasons to find out what the conclusion to the story is though.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
I like this show quite a bit but there’s no way that I’d be interested in it after Season 1 or 2. The characters are very unlikeable, and the acting is subpar.

Gsmaniac

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2014
Wow what a tense episode. Knowing that Jericho was going to die, I spent the whole episode just waiting for it to happen. What a way to build suspense.
bravo show.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
Great acting by all actors. This episode was dense, dark and heavy and I’m still feeling uncomfortable even though I knew what was coming (the recap was leaked yeasterday). Very disturbing.

GCRoberts

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I watch it on our 120" screen using a 4K projector and a home theatre system (w/subwoofer). Since the show is very dark, I watch it late at night so there's no ambient light on the screen. I keep the volume at a level where I don't miss any dialog. For some reason, in the last few shows they've decided the best way to create suspense is by playing this incredibly obnoxious very low frequency (I'm guessing 10 Hz) tone in a pulsing pattern. The tone has some distortion and shakes the whole house. Last night my son was upstairs on the other side of the house taking a shower, and he said he could hear it with the water running. Who could think that this obnoxious tone adds value to the show?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Great acting by all actors. This episode was dense, dark and heavy and I’m still feeling uncomfortable even though I knew what was coming (the recap was leaked yeasterday). Very disturbing.

Agree. That’s very intense. Great TV ?

Daybreaq

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2020
I binge watched all 9 episodes yesterday. I just want to register my speculation somewhere before episode 10 (season finale) is aired.
I think Leanne and George are souls who died in infancy. When they act as “servants” for the living, they appear the age they would be if they hadn’t died. Babies who are “brought back to life” by “servants” become ”servants” themselves ... are basically recruited. George recruited Leanne and Leanne recruited Jericho. When they are acting as “servants,” they can live the lives they never had which is why Leanne wants to have all these experiences and stay. In many ways though, they still think like babies even though they gain knowledge and experience through their times as “servants.” I think they are supposed to help the living. If I’m in any way right, the remaining five seasons will be about “servants” and different assignments or maybe just centered on Leanne.

Reactions: matrix07 and rmoliv

MOG80

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2020
Thinking about episode 9 as well as everything up to now.
Disturbing and sad to see Dorothy go through leaving Jericho in the car.... but fast forward to Sean Julian & Leanne.
Trying to decifer who is the evil one-... & I’m taking Julian out of that- he seems truly remorseful for not stepping forward to help before Jericho died. He’s just a privileged mess.
I will say nothing supernatural is happening It will for sure be explainable -

Here’s what I think -... Uncle George rescued Leanne as a child ( his blood niece) burned down the Greyson house bc they were ungodly & when authorities couldn’t find her- assumed she burned with rest of family - I think they are Religious nuts!- pious and judgemental-they make those crosses.
i feel like Dorothy may have been kidnapped as a baby too & bought by Julians dad who said he was glad he was able to give her a brother. And obviously he’s not opposed to buying a baby.
Maybe Dorothy and Leanne share a similar background and she knew this bc George knows the truth. Sean seems to be too weary of George- what does he know? Or what did he do ... did HE put Jericho’s decomposed body in sink disposal so no evidence to protect himself & Dorothy? Julian didn’t tell that part to Leanne I suppose.
Leanne came to their house to be with Dorothy - knowing baby died but not how... maybe she kidnapped a baby from an undeserving family & brought to help Dorothy - after she saw doll.
Maybe Dorothy is related to Leannes parents... somehow - (ungodly too) / George knew her as Dottie.
Leanne is not sweet - revengeful now for Dorothys carelessness. - Sean is worried bc he is guilty as well.

not sure about how they knew baby died in hot car tho -if they found him in the crib? They didn’t report it/

I feel like Sean is related to Dorothy somehow-... I dont know why?
like Sean has a link to Dorothys real family except they wouldn’t know that bc Julian’s dad took her in as his own possibly.
Thoughts?

Reactions: rmoliv

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
I don’t know anything anymore. ? I hope the finale provides actual answers to a few questions.

I’m not sure as to Leanne’s background or what her and Uncle George’s intentions are, whether they’re dead or alive, part of a cult or not. However there’s something bugging me since I watched episode 9.

If you look closely, the death takes place in the summer, the trees are leafy and green, people on the street and Dottie are wearing summer clothes. However, in the scene when she hears the baby crying in the baby monitor and goes upstairs to check on him (whose dead corpse is in the crib and the cry was actually from a nearby house), she looks out the window and the trees are completely bare and people passing by down on the street are wearing fall clothes! As far as I know trees don’t go from leafy and green to bare overnight or in the timespan of 4 days max. I’m not sure whether this is a major goof or intentional. I wouldn’t expect such a mistake from a production as this one and especially in an episode directed by an experienced filmmaker as is M.Night. So, what could it be? I think the showrunner should clear that up.

By the way, did anyone catch Isabelle’s report on the “local humans” at the pool? Local humans!

Last edited:

Brigidscross

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2019
Watching all episodes again from beginning - seeing what we know now...
Leanne definitely came there to the Turner home for Sean... you can see her youthful love for him in her eyes...She emulates Dorothy. Wants to be like her /

Leanne for sure snuck that baby into the house
( on episode 1 news report maybe that car that sped away from “stranger that might have been a visitor to the city” that died in accident was meeting Leanne to give her that baby - it even could’ve been julians dad fleeing from scene - we just don’t know yet
/ when Leanne told Sean she needed to pick up a few things at the pharmacy for Mrs Turner.- maybe getting that baby was her plan .. Sean was busy preparing to cook & in grabbing wine from basement - he heard a baby cough but thought he was wrong... that was the first time baby Jericho entered home-
until he then heard Jericho on the monitor -

I think Leanne is giving real baby Jericho as their Servant -maybe she feels this will heal their pain..
The part in episode 8 where Julian is speaking to his dad who wants to buy a real baby for Dorothy ( Anders) & Julian comments.. “not that we haven’t already thought of that -...”
I believe that’s a comment from their own past - maybe they bought “Dottie” from someone & “gave her” a brother ( Julian).
Maybe that father gave Dorothy to his grieving wife that lost or couldn’t have a baby when they already had Julian. He states Dorothy wasn’t like him
( Julian) & Julian seemed uncomfortable-

we don’t know how Dorothy's mother died...
but possibly it was tragic- bc it screwed all of them up.

We see Leanne getting very upset with D now that Julian told her something about that night /& we are assuming it’s the entire truth.
and we also see her affection in her mannerisms becoming more evident for Sean - making the omelet scene.
We are assuming Leanne may have food poisoned Dorothy a bit. The Sumac was missing episodes ago. Sean seems skeptical- placenta is seen still in freezer from birth day-

Theory-
Maybe Sean is her father - cheated on Dorothy with Leannes mom?
-I was thinking maybe that’s her connection & love for him - maybe it’s also she feels an attraction - but since he is actually her parent... she is so she punished herself - ( incest?)

one more to go!! cant wait

NewBench

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2010
Loving it so far. Rupert Grint is very entertaining to watch as Julian.

As for the finale/reveal/whatever - the show runners have repeatedly shown the washer/dryer in the basement, the concrete floor, the yellow baby clothes, and especially in the last couple of episodes - the rotting ham on the table.

I'm guessing it's something more sinister, like Sean returned home and instead of the ham he hid the remains of Jericho in a dish and served it to whoever the ham was intended for. Alternatively, Julian/Sean buried Jericho under the concrete floor in the basement and placed the washer/dryer on top of it.

With this being an M. Night Shyamalan show, I'm expecting some kind of twist involving our perception of the main characters too.

Spooner83

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
I’m sorry, but after watching 9 episodes of this show, I want to jump off a cliff. Not one scene makes sense. I love mysteries, but tell us at least something. Can anyone explain this show? Sheesh

Reactions: Breezygirl

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Leanne for sure snuck that baby into the house
( on episode 1 news report maybe that car that sped away from “stranger that might have been a visitor to the city” that died in accident was meeting Leanne to give her that baby - it even could’ve been julians dad fleeing from scene - we just don’t know yet
/ when Leanne told Sean she needed to pick up a few things at the pharmacy for Mrs Turner.- maybe getting that baby was her plan .. Sean was busy preparing to cook & in grabbing wine from basement - he heard a baby cough but thought he was wrong... that was the first time baby Jericho entered home-
until he then heard Jericho on the monitor -
We are assuming Leanne may have food poisoned Dorothy a bit. The Sumac was missing episodes ago. Sean seems skeptical- placenta is seen still in freezer from birth day-

I love these theories. Who knows the child could already be that Ander.
Can’t wait for tomorrow!

Where did the child come from?
Where was the doll?
Where has those Sumac gone?
What’s the deal with that coffee machine? ?
What exactly is George?
Aunt May?
When did Leanne know Jericho was gone? In the 1st episode she didn‘t seem surprised. (It’s like she knew in advance because someone hired her to replace the doll like you said)
etc.

Last edited:

Neonblue

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2009
London
The season finale was great! Can’t wait for season two... now so may questions. What happened to Jericho? What is happening to Shawn? Does Dorothy realise what’s happening now? Who is Aunt May? Who are the Church of the Lesser Saints? Who/what is Leanne?

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
The season finale was great! Can’t wait for season two... now so may questions. What happened to Jericho? What is happening to Shawn? Does Dorothy realise what’s happening now? Who is Aunt May? Who are the Church of the Lesser Saints? Who/what is Leanne?

Jericho died from a heatstroke (left in a hot car for hours). Sean is dying. Dorothy has awoken. Aunt May is the leader of The Church of the Lesser Saints cult. Leanne is a member of said cult (perhaps against her will) and has the power to resurrect people.

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2019
I am even more impressed with the show after the finale. The tempo and music of the episode really set you on edge, truly a masterpiece. Curious as to where they will take it now...

Reactions: infinitejest
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.