Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Anyone know if Steam Cloud, ie all your Steam games now automatically save to the cloud? I assume games still save locally when Steam Cloud is active. Thanks!

Regarding games found on Steam, I'm currently playing

ARK: Survival Evolved- Sandbox, big thumbs up and MAC version!
Subnautica- Sandbox, big thumbs up and MAC version!! :)

SteamCloud is an opt in feature so it depends on the game. Most newer games support this but games will massive save files like the Total War series (each save being ~20 to 50MB) won't sync the saves. You can however see if this option is being used in the game properties and on the Steam store page.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
SteamCloud is an opt in feature so it depends on the game. Most newer games support this but games will massive save files like the Total War series (each save being ~20 to 50MB) won't sync the saves. You can however see if this option is being used in the game properties and on the Steam store page.

I'll check that out. Thanks! Big game saves? The ARK Survival Evolved solo game save is 2.5 Gb. I presume Stream cloud is not saving those. I make my own backups. Too much work to have it evaporate on me. :)

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Orion: Prelude (Steam)- Mechs, Tanks, Jetpacks, and Dinos for $1. Waves of aggressive dinos attack! Anyone playing this? Can you go wrong for $1? ;) Well I'm fairly hard core into ARK: Survival Evolved (which is Mac/Windows), so I took a chance on dino mayhem... will report back. Trying to figure out if this is a MMO setting, multiple independent servers, and/or solo game.

tLlnwgvAQrhZ.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

EdwardSmith36

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2016
No I'm new here, I haven't checked it yet! The Hunter: Primal, pre-release version seems quite interesting. I would love to play this game as soon as possible.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
No I'm new here, I haven't checked it yet! The Hunter: Primal, pre-release version seems quite interesting. I would love to play this game as soon as possible.

Welcome to MRs! :)

Hunter: Primal sounds and looks interesting. Have you played ARK: Survival Evolved? That's what I'd compare it to. ARK is outstanding, played solo and better yet as part of a tribe. For HP, I read the first page of reviews- mixed. Questions I would ask, can you build? Can you tame? Can you use your tamed dinos as attack dogs? There is an ARK thread and ARK Guide threads in this forum.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Looked at my Steam Queue, where they try to push new games on me, 95% were Early Access Sandbox, survival, sandbox, and/or PVP games. They all look they they are trying to do the same kind of thing... Most of them, I'd be hesitant to jump into. For exotic, I have ARK:Survival Evolved and for Ocean, Subnautica. Those are the benchmarks I'm comparing most of them with. A Mid-evil sandbox game, kind of boring in comparison. ;)

Orion: Prelude (Steam)- Mechs, Tanks, Jetpacks, and Dinos for $1. Waves of aggressive dinos attack! Anyone playing this? Can you go wrong for $1? ;) Well I'm fairly hard core into ARK: Survival Evolved (which is Mac/Windows), so I took a chance on dino mayhem... will report back. Trying to figure out if this is a MMO setting, multiple independent servers, and/or solo game.

tLlnwgvAQrhZ.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Well I've played this and can take it or leave it. With a group, it could be an entertaining diversion.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
American Truck Simulator- $20. Anyone playing? I don't see the appeal of driving a truck from point A to B, but maybe this game is intended to play somewhat like Railroad Tycoon II Platinum (which can be purchased on Steam for $4.99 but unfortunately is only offered for Windows), where you are managing loads and route development? Of interest when I look at the RR Tycoon screenshots, it's looking kind of dated. For trains, something more modern would be Trainz:A New Area which includes a Mac version.

ZEoMAUzR5GcL.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

0000001800.600x338.jpg

RRTycoon 2 Platinum

Tainz_01.jpg

TrainZ A New Era
I also stumbled across Rise of the Tomb Raider. Looks Awesome. :)

Last edited:

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I enjoyed Tomb Raider quite a lot, when Rise of the Tomb Raider goes on sale I'll pick it up.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Holy Crap Turok, release date 1997 is now available on Steam. But, but the graphics are severely dated. Does it matter? Yeah, it represents a special time in my gaming life, but I'll probably pass even at $10 (sale), :)

header.jpg
[doublepost=1461357824][/doublepost]The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on Steam- did anyone play this? I'd like to know if it's an open world of if there are invisible walls and alleys? I've never liked those type of limits. Thanks!

Update: Reports online- not an open world, say like Skyrim.

7735E6813F004C1AC65E68DA058572EA77E913A1

One impressive trailer:

Last edited:

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Holy Crap Turok, release date 1997 is now available on Steam. But, but the graphics are severely dated. Does it matter? Yeah, it represents a special time in my gaming life, but I'll probably pass even at $10 (sale), :)

header.jpg
[doublepost=1461357824][/doublepost]The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on Steam- did anyone play this? I'd like to know if it's an open world of if there are invisible walls and alleys? I've never liked those type of limits. Thanks!

Update: Reports online- not an open world, say like Skyrim.

7735E6813F004C1AC65E68DA058572EA77E913A1

One impressive trailer:

With no exaggeration, Wild Hunt is one of the best games ever made. You just need to be in the game world and you'll just get at once why. Its second - and bigger - expansion is also around the corner.

Reactions: g-7 and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
With no exaggeration, Wild Hunt is one of the best games ever made. You just need to be in the game world and you'll just get at once why. Its second - and bigger - expansion is also around the corner.

I'm going to keep an eye out for this on sale at Steam.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Thinking of trying out Space Hulk sometime this summer. Just waiting for a sale.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I used to use Steam sharing quite a bit--haven't lately though. Cities: Skylines is a very good game! Is that your city, @Huntn?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I used to use Steam sharing quite a bit--haven't lately though. Cities: Skylines is a very good game! Is that your city, @Huntn?

No it's not. I've found that I don't like the kind of city I end up with following a budget, so after 3 tries, I turned the money spicket on so I can plan the city the way I like and not worry about taxing my citizens to death. Yes, it's cheating. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I may be confusing one of the Resident Evil chapters with a zombie shooter on a tropical island, where to aim your weapon, the game locked you in place. Was that a Resudent Evil or a Dead Island? Which ever, I played it briefly and after playing the most wonderful Left4Dead, was indignant at this mechanic.

Thumbs up for Skyrim, Bioshock, Borderlands, Civilization, and Portal! :D

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I completely lost control of myself during this Summer Sale. So much that I bought a new PC to play stuff on.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Bought -- actually this is the first time I haven't built a PC from scratch. I don't currently have a PC desktop and I sold my fully optioned out 27" iMac, so I decided to try out something different.

I know many don't like Alienware, but I had no issues with the build quality or anything on the AW13 I had for a little while. I wound up ordering an Alienware Area-51 (6 core, 16GB RAM, 2 TB spin HD, dual 970s). I have a nice Asus 1440P 27" display at home I'll be hooking it up to and picked up a 1TB SSD also to toss in. I'd never pay their asking prices. I found a very nice 30% coupon and called to get another 10% knocked off... and then another 5%.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.