Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm a huge fan of the Portal Series and now this: The Turing Test ($19.99), the name of the game, the character name immediately gave me flashbacks to the Ex Machina movie. ;) I anticipate I'll be diving into this soon.

The Turing Test is a challenging first-person puzzle game set on Jupiter’s moon, Europa. You are Ava Turing, an engineer for the International Space Agency (ISA) sent to discover the cause behind the disappearance of the ground crew stationed there.

13b4d1de991222d7ad715d617bb4efb0.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

The_Turing_Test_Screenshot_001_15_1465863018.06.2016-ed-933x445.jpg

50264_1_58408a63dc.jpg

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm a huge fan of the Portal Series and now this: The Turing Test ($19.99), the name of the game, the character name immediately gave me flashbacks to the Ex Machina movie. ;) I anticipate I'll be diving into this soon.

The Turing Test is a challenging first-person puzzle game set on Jupiter’s moon, Europa. You are Ava Turing, an engineer for the International Space Agency (ISA) sent to discover the cause behind the disappearance of the ground crew stationed there.

13b4d1de991222d7ad715d617bb4efb0.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

The_Turing_Test_Screenshot_001_15_1465863018.06.2016-ed-933x445.jpg

50264_1_58408a63dc.jpg
That sounds like an interesting one. Let me know how you end up liking it. I enjoyed the Portal games quite a bit too.

Reactions: Huntn

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006

<image snip>
This one has pretty good reviews on Steam, I'm looking forward to trying it out in a few months.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've not yet looked to see if there is a Planet Coaster thread in this forum, but if you like building games and want to have your mind blown check out:

I almost wet myself... :p

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Sorta new to Steam.

I bought a game a about 4 years ago, but it was just a CD with the Steam Client Install and a license for the game that downloads.

I revisited my Steam account and it is still in there! There are also other games I want.

Some questions:

When you buy a game, does it include both Mac and PC versions?

Can you play them offline?

Can you "return" a game you find out doesn't run or don't want?

The game I had from before, after downloading to these new-fangled laptops says I need a card with 256 Meg memory. But don't these new laptops, even though they have integrated, are they not enough to play these old games?

Thanks!

Yes, when a steam game is bought, it includes all platforms that game is available on.
No, you can't play them offline.
Not sure if you can return a game, this may depend on local consumer law.

FWIW, a MBA 2011 with HD3000 had 256MB (integrated) vram.
My MBA 2013 with HD5000 has 1.5GB (integrated) vram. (This is enough for Civ VI in strategic view)

Lastly, when you buy a dual platform game on steam, make sure to buy it on macOS, as this ensures that the mac team gets paid for porting it to mac (they will get a fair split of the revenue from that sale.)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Yes, when a steam game is bought, it includes all platforms that game is available on.

My MBA 2013 with HD5000 has 1.5GB (integrated) vram. (This is enough for Civ VI in strategic view)

Lastly, when you buy a dual platform game on steam, make sure to buy it on macOS, as this ensures that the mac team gets paid for porting it to mac (they will get a fair split of the revenue from that sale.)

Thanks - I was new back in 2014... ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Just to clarify some Steam games can be played offline.
http://www.howtogeek.com/117424/how-to-make-steams-offline-mode-work/

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Looks great Huntn!

I grabbed ...
- Star Wars Battlefront on Origin - had some initial fun
- Doom - good mindless fun
- Deus Ex Mankind Divided - just barely started, need to wrap up my Skyrim replay first :)
- Tron 2.0 (which is only $2.49 on Steam), thought I owned it digitally, but apparently not. Looking forward to replay.
Nothing for the Mac there ... oh well :(

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Based on a friends suggestion, I'm trying Card Hunter (free sorta) an interesting D&D style digitized table top game. The only disappointment I have with this game is that to get premium loot, it looks like they expect you to pay $12-19 a month, this is way more than the average subscription to an MMO game, so I don't see that at all. I'd rather pay $20 for unrestricted access. So far in the lower stages, it's not too bad playing for free. :)

Card-Hunter-Multiplayer.jpg

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Holy smokes I remember when Turok was the cat's meow. Now it's on Steam for only $19.99. (PC+Mac!) I don't think so. How about $10?? :p

header.jpg

Last edited:

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Holy smokes I remember when Turok was the cat's meow. Now it's on Steam for only $19.99. (PC+Mac!) I don't think so. How about $10?? :p

header.jpg

I remember playing this on my N64 (with the RAM upgrade). The control scheme drove me nuts with that controller. Played a lot of multiplayer with my friends. HELLO, FOG.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Holy Crap, anyone playing the Everything Game on Steam? I'm kind of scared to try it, but I'd like to hear what you think!

1032451-david-oreilly-double-fine-launching-everything-game.jpg

Nice - will look into it.

I wanna be a Stack of Pancakes, just like in Deformers... :eek:

;)
[doublepost=1493057014][/doublepost]
PC only, this looks interesting: The Signal From Tolva an open world scifi shooter.

However they were not impressed at IGN. I've got it on follow at Steam. :(

this looks cool too...

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
American Truck Simulator is currently on sale at Steam and I said what the hell! Why not check it out for $10, maybe it will be an adventure. It's got nice graphics, but... ... ... it's kinda boring. :oops: Distances are compressed which I guess is good because a trip from San Diego to Bakersfield listed at 3.5 hrs (as I recall), took about 10 minutes. And there was not really much in the way of city driving which I guess is good too. :)

Anyway does anyone else get into this game? Note I'm playing with mouse and keyboard, not steering wheel.

maxresdefault.jpg
[doublepost=1494798379][/doublepost]
Nice - will look into it.

I wanna be a Stack of Pancakes, just like in Deformers... :eek:

;)
[doublepost=1493057014][/doublepost]

this looks cool too...
Did you get a chance with Everything? :)

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
American Truck Simulator is currently on sale at Steam and I said what the hell!

I mentioned this in another thread, but I also picked up Euro Truck Simulator 2 over the weekend for €5. I tried it first out with just the keyboard and then later with my steering wheel. I find that the steering wheel adds a new dimension to it and that it's very dull when playing with just the keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.