Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
It seems we have three father stories: (1) Ted's father incident, (2) Nathan's father's harshness, and (3) Roy's father's drunken arrogance (or however one would describe it). For each, as these stories unfold, we see how they're overcoming the emotional hand they've been dealt and how the team's bonds win more than games.
And Coach Beard - we don't yet know what is going on with him or what his history is.

@Expos of 1969 is right, it was Jamie's father, and it was kind of shocking to see such a display.

And along with these father stories, we have the remarkable development with Rebecca and Sam Obisanya! Alongside the relationship story between Keeley and Roy Kent, the show has a couple of very sweet romances going on.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
And Coach Beard - we don't yet know what is going on with him or what his history is.

@Expos of 1969 is right, it was Jamie's father, and it was kind of shocking to see such a display.

And along with these father stories, we have the remarkable development with Rebecca and Sam Obisanya! Alongside the relationship story between Keeley and Roy Kent, the show has a couple of very sweet romances going on.
Yep you were posting as I corrected Roy to Jamie.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
It seems we have three father stories: (1) Ted's father incident, (2) Nathan's father's harshness, and (3) Jamie's father's drunken arrogance (or however one would describe it). For each, as these stories unfold, we see how they're overcoming the emotional hand they've been dealt and how the team's bonds win more than games.

Four stories: don't forget Lasso himself. He's a loving, but absent father. He mentioned it even at the very end of the last episode, after he revealed the truth about his own father.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
somehow I missed your post before.
I thought wonder kid's dad is very over the top unrealistic. It frightens me to hear such a behavior is deemed realistic. How can a person be so... I have no words for this.
Does no one say something about it? Also why would one want to be friends with such a person?
I’m surprised you’re surprised. You probably do know people whose parents kept moving the goalposts on them, so that they can never truly satisfy or meet this standard the parent has set. It’s not always something that’s in your face and it’s not always overtly abusive. Often it’s a case of the parent has this template in their mind of how they think their child should be. So they overlook how awesome their child actually is, because their definition of awesome was something different.

It’s not even something most people seem aware their parents have done to them or that they’re even affected by it. If you’ve ever tried to point it out to them that that’s what you see, there’s often denial or a simple shrug.

As for interfering in this dynamic, if you can even see it in action at all, if you’ve ever tried to do it, you learn soon enough neither the parent nor the child want that. They are locked into this thing and only one of them will wake up and snap out of it. I know, because my own parents were like that. It took me awhile to recognize the dynamic. I was in my teens I guess. I pointed it out and to their credit, they were both intelligent and good enough people to make it right. Though sometimes we still need to course-correct. They’re in their 80’s now and I’m in my 50’s, and I’m surprised how important they still are to me. My mom has dementia yet still gives great advice!

I think your question was meant to address why would someone be friends with the parent who is like that. I’m friends with the adult kids, though one of my friends does seem to be trying too hard to mold his kids into a particular vision. I’m not messing in that because the kids frankly are learning to be strong on their own and stand up for themselves. There’s no way to “ride to their rescue” that’s not going to end badly.

Now Jamie Tartt’s dad? If I had a friend like that I’d deck the SOB myself.

• Love
Reactions: Diskutant

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
It's become obvious that this season is about how one's parent can truly F-up a kid, with Sam/Sam's Dad providing the postive foil as well as Higgins' relationship with his sons and his wife.

1. Ted has just admitted to Doctor Sharon his issues with his dad.
  2. Jaime's dad is a drunken prick
  3. Rebecca's mom keeps falling back into a bad relationship with Rebecca's dad
  4. Nathan's dad is impossible to please
  5. Pheobe's dad is a "piece of ****" and Roy is her dad by proxy.
    1. Roy is totally unprepared to being a father, but he is willing to learn
    2. Roy's is a huge influence on Pheobe, for better or for worse
    3. I think the scene in the car with Pheobe was huge as he can see that he has to be Pheobe's father figure.
  6. #5 leads up to Roy's reaction in the locker room scene.
    1. Without the prior scene where Roy accepts his role with Pheobe, this scene doesn't work as well.
    2. Jaime's been trying to be the good teammate and a good person, and Roy stepping up to be the postive father figure to Jaime is very endearing
Who did I miss?

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
It's become obvious that this season is about how one's parent can truly F-up a kid, with Sam/Sam's Dad providing the postive foil as well as Higgins' relationship with his sons and his wife.

3. I think the scene in the car with Pheobe was huge as he can see that he has to be Pheobe's father figure.
    1. Without the prior scene where Roy accepts his role with Pheobe, this scene doesn't work as well.
    2. Jaime's been trying to be the good teammate and a good person, and Roy stepping up to be the postive father figure to Jaime is very endearing
Who did I miss?
Next episode....Higgins spills the beans about his dad :oops:

Reactions: ftaok and 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

Who did I miss?
You made a fantastic point about how the scene with Phoebe made the scene between Roy and Jamie flow. Otherwise it would have been schmaltz. But instead it’s part of Roy’s character development.

This isn’t related, but our family is loving the growing relationship between Doc and Ted. We love Doc. And we love Ted. Seeing them interact and open up more is rewarding because they bring out the unexpected in each other. I never knew Ted had that angry side to him until he blew up at Doc. Doc was such an enigma at first. She’s settling in with Richmond like part of the team.

Reactions: ftaok and Phil77354

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
You made a fantastic point about how the scene with Phoebe made the scene between Roy and Jamie flow. Otherwise it would have been schmaltz. But instead it’s part of Roy’s character development.

This isn’t related, but our family is loving the growing relationship between Doc and Ted. We love Doc. And we love Ted. Seeing them interact and open up more is rewarding because they bring out the unexpected in each other. I never knew Ted had that angry side to him until he blew up at Doc. Doc was such an enigma at first. She’s settling in with Richmond like part of the team.
Next she will be drinking at the pub rather than binging alone in her company flat.

Reactions: 5105973

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.

Who did I miss?
Great points. There is more going on than I had fully appreciated!

This show is so great, I am already planning to re-watch both season 1 and 2 when we get to the end of the current season. The whole thing is so enjoyable, and watching the show develop again from the beginning and knowing how it evolves makes it even more satisfying to see the characters in early episodes, don't you think?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Well, that was a strange one.
Reminded me of Martin Scorsese's After Hours, and Harold & Kumar, except more wholesome because it's Ted Lasso.

EDIT: I just noticed that the episode is literally titled "Beard After Hours."

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Tonight's trippy episode left me panting. After a few minutes I thought, sure he's going to wake up from this as a dream, but no, it's just another night in Coach Beard's strange life. That's checkmate, mate.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Indeed it was. It seemed out of place compared to the other episodes.
I didn't feel that at all. It's about time there was a whole episode focused on him, and a welcome contrast to the locker room, the games, and the team. It gave the other characters a break. I thought including the three bar fans made for a fun group. The only part I didn't like was Jamie's father showing up again, but hey, maybe his agent negotiated a two-episode deal.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I didn't feel that at all. It's about time there was a whole episode focused on him, and a welcome contrast to the locker room, the games, and the team. It gave the other characters a break. I thought including the three bar fans made for a fun group. The only part I didn't like was Jamie's father showing up again, but hey, maybe his agent negotiated a two-episode deal.
I would have liked to have seen more character depth with coach beard. Maybe that is forthcoming. Coach struck me as being out of place the whole time. And I agree with you about Jamie's dad. That scene didn't strike me as really believable.

I do agree that there has been too much locker room scenes which don't really add as much, at least for me. I am still liking the series. I think I need to be a little more patient with character development seeing how there are 3 seasons.

iTorsti

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2021
For me Ted Lasso is kinda weird show. I like watching it, watched the first season pretty fast and it was pleasant, but man, I didn't laugh once! The show simply forgot to be funny. It's just a bit too kind kind, would need a bit of an edge to it. Well, personal preferences of course. Love the theme though so will continue watching probably.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
For me Ted Lasso is kinda weird show. I like watching it, watched the first season pretty fast and it was pleasant, but man, I didn't laugh once! The show simply forgot to be funny. It's just a bit too kind kind, would need a bit of an edge to it. Well, personal preferences of course. Love the theme though so will continue watching probably.
Weird times, weird show, much needed, spot on.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Indeed it was. It seemed out of place compared to the other episodes.
It was. I thought it was fine, but the problems with these change of tone/one off episodes is in a series like Ted Lasso where there are only a limited number of episodes anyway can frustrate some viewers. They have to be really really good and this was as I said was just fine. It wasn’t like the two one off episodes in each season of Mythic Quest which were both excellent I thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.