Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Lol it was loaded with conspiracy theory symbols and references. I lost track of how many there were. Just off the top of my head they’re referencing some Illuminati induction rituals (blackening of one eye), the Black Cube of Saturn and the Saturn death cult, synchronicity, some Gnosticism—I think. I have no idea where the woman fits in, if at all. That’s probably a reference to a movie I haven’t seen or a book I haven’t read.

As a mom I screened everything before my kids could see it. I noticed music videos are exponentially weirder than the stuff I grew up with and even some of the kids cartoons were a little bit trippy. There were all these recurring images so I started looking stuff up. I never expected to run into this stuff on Ted Lasso but here we are. But if that stuff is on My Little Pony, then why not, I suppose. It’s actually kind of everywhere once you realize what it is.

Edit: No I haven’t gone nuts, but especially ever since X-Files, it’s been fashionable for shows and music to throw references to popular and even obscure conspiracy theories. Ted Lasso has had fun with references to different themes this season like rom-com, musicals, and now whatever you want to call this. The comedy “Psych” did this as well.

Last edited:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Indeed it was. It seemed out of place compared to the other episodes.
One behind and just watched last night. What a turd of an episode and SO out of place. Besides the crappy/trippy effects it contained the MOST unrealistic chance encounters in a large city with people you know or relate to over and over and OVER and OVER....

The worst was running into Mr Tart and then the "big" guy is out pushing his scooter all around London looking for Beard to return his wallet.

For me Beard's humor doesn't work without Ted's comebacks. Hell the show itself doesn't work without Ted's comebacks. What a waste.

Seems everyone had time off in their contracts and they just did this filler, flunky, freaky, fantasy to have an episode placeholder. One more of these and I may stop watching.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
One behind and just watched last night. What a turd of an episode and SO out of place. Besides the crappy/trippy effects it contained the MOST unrealistic chance encounters in a large city with people you know or relate to over and over and OVER and OVER....

The worst was running into Mr Tart and then the "big" guy is out pushing his scooter all around London looking for Beard to return his wallet.

For me Beard's humor doesn't work without Ted's comebacks. Hell the show itself doesn't work without Ted's comebacks. What a waste.

Seems everyone had time off in their contracts and they just did this filler, flunky, freaky, fantasy to have an episode placeholder. One more of these and I may stop watching.
To each their own, but to me, it was a great way to close out Beard's story line for this season. He's been struggling all season long with his relationship with Jane. I think it's probably the first time he's truly in love and he can't reconcile her reaction. Beard's a strange dude and this episode encapsulates his absolute low point and his downward journey to his salvation.

Sure, the whole episode was absurd in how the night progressed, but I think part of it is that it's coming from Beard's mind. An outside perspective would look differently. The Beard segments of the episode was a sort of third person view from within Beard's mind (think of the scene in American Psycho where he's running from the authorities - can't remember if this was the movie or the book, though).

Anyway, I'm not too upset with having a second bottle episode. This season has 12 total episodes anyway and I'm guessing they didn't want too many loose ends when Season 2 ends.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
To each their own, but to me, it was a great way to close out Beard's story line for this season. He's been struggling all season long with his relationship with Jane. I think it's probably the first time he's truly in love and he can't reconcile her reaction. Beard's a strange dude and this episode encapsulates his absolute low point and his downward journey to his salvation.

Sure, the whole episode was absurd in how the night progressed, but I think part of it is that it's coming from Beard's mind. An outside perspective would look differently. The Beard segments of the episode was a sort of third person view from within Beard's mind (think of the scene in American Psycho where he's running from the authorities - can't remember if this was the movie or the book, though).

Anyway, I'm not too upset with having a second bottle episode. This season has 12 total episodes anyway and I'm guessing they didn't want too many loose ends when Season 2 ends.
Oh that’s something I had not really thought of. That it’s a third person view from his own mind. Thanks for that!

Though from binge watching Psych during the pandemic lockdown, you’d think I would have caught on to that. That show had episodes that experimented with just about every technique of storytelling one could possibly imagine.

Reactions: Tagbert and ftaok

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
It was. I thought it was fine, but the problems with these change of tone/one off episodes is in a series like Ted Lasso where there are only a limited number of episodes anyway can frustrate some viewers. They have to be really really good and this was as I said was just fine. It wasn’t like the two one off episodes in each season of Mythic Quest which were both excellent I thought.
As far as Mythic Quest goes, I think the bottle episodes were so well done, that they end up being the best episode of the series.

In S1, the episode really has nothing to do with Mythic Quest at all, except it's about software development. Then you get the payoff that it's the same building that MQ is in and that the story serves as a "cautionary tale" for MQ.

Then in S2, the bottle episodes (the ones centered around CW) actually develop a well deserving and interesting character, that they actually utilized later in the season. I love how this episode explained how CW ended up being an award winning author, but was actually a pretty hack writer. Then when Ian and Poppy seek him out in the end of the episode was just brilliant.

When done correctly, bottle episodes can really serve as great character devlopment without actually driving the overall theme forward. While neither the Christmas episode or this Beard episode will go down as being the best one of the season, I do think, at least with this episode, that Beard is a character that is deserving of development. He's just so interesting and mysterious and I thought it was great getting a episode centered entirely around him.

Aside - I think most of us know a guy like Beard. By this, I mean that Beard is just a really interesting dude that has tons of life experiences and can tell an interesting story that is both outlandish and 100% true at the same time. One of my co-workers is like this. He's tells great stories that are so diverse and entertaining, but then you also know that there's not one shred of exaggeration. Beard is this guy.

As for the 3 guys from the pub, I thought it odd that they didn't realize that they were at the "secret" entrance to the field at the end. But then I remember that they are always at the pub and probably never ever watched a game at the home stadium. So then it was kinda believable, but maybe not. Maybe they were still buzzed/drunk and didn't realize where they were.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
For me Ted Lasso is kinda weird show. I like watching it, watched the first season pretty fast and it was pleasant, but man, I didn't laugh once! The show simply forgot to be funny. It's just a bit too kind kind, would need a bit of an edge to it. Well, personal preferences of course. Love the theme though so will continue watching probably.
It's not really a "joke" show and not really trying make you laugh, though it sometimes does. It is more of a character show and the aim is more to delight and make you think but not in a heavy and down way.

Last edited:

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Indeed it was. It seemed out of place compared to the other episodes.
I thought it was delightful. This was a view from a completely different perspective, basically the view from inside Coach Beards mind. of course it was different and a slightly tilted perspective. Out of place in a good way. To me it was not trying to be a realistic portrayal but was free to use a little fantasy and story telling to highlight different aspects of Beard. It felt a little like a fairy tale.

Tsubame

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
I think this was one of my favourite episodes of the series so far, I am somewhat surprised so many people hated it but I suppose it IS very different. If you aren't invested in his character specifically you may not find a whole lot there.

Beard was my favourite character already, so having a whole episode for him was perfect for me. It had a fair share of serious moments but the nonstop parade of tragedy was also very darkly comedic. Sure some of it requires suspension of disbelief that you run into a single person randomly in a city that size, but the entire premise of the show requires some degree of suspension of disbelief too.

It was also incredibly heartwarming at times. That moment where, in the depth of everything that could go wrong going wrong for him, he still finds time to make a dream come true for the bar fans was the best moment in the entire series yet. Even when things couldn't get worse, he is always looking out for those around him.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
I enjoyed it. Not a fan of Keeley getting back together with Jamie (as seems hinted)! I think Roy is possibly the best character on the show. But there is no arguing that Jamie has really turned the corner. The relationship between Sam and Rebecca is wonderful and heart-wrenching! There is more still not disclosed regarding Dr. Sharon, even as Roy's problems become more understandable.

So many parallel stories going on, all developing alongside one another, quite enjoyable.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
So, what did everyone think of yesterday's funeral episode?

It looked like another "one-off"... but the insight into Ted's dad was informative. Interesting parallel between his dad and Rebecca's. And I kind of like her mother, Deborah, after this... she seemed like a twit in the previous episodes, but much more "motherly" as this episode unfolds. I also like how the Ted's relationship with Sharon is developing - he's gone from being closed off and a skeptic to reaching out to her when he needs her help.

Jamie's admission of love to Keely could be interesting... there has always been a bit of friction between Jamie and Roy. This will only cause that to intensify, IMO.

Overall, I liked the episode...

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I enjoyed it. Not a fan of Keeley getting back together with Jamie (as seems hinted)! I think Roy is possibly the best character on the show. But there is no arguing that Jamie has really turned the corner.
I don’t think they’ll pursue this story line like that. I think it’s just meant to develop Jaime and show the viewer that he missed out on a good thing because he wasn’t ready when she was.

The relationship between Sam and Rebecca is wonderful and heart-wrenching!
I don’t think this one is quite over for the season. At the very end when Rebecca and her mom are watching the Rick Astley video, Rebecca has an expression that indicates she just had an epiphany right at the “total commitment is what I’m thinking of” lyric. Not sure what it means, but I think there’s more on this in the next two episodes.

So many parallel stories going on, all developing alongside one another, quite enjoyable.
i hope they have time to close out Nate’s story line. He’s back to being doormat Nate with the Dutch guy unintentionally roasting him.

Reactions: 5105973 and 0128672

Tsubame

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
I don’t think they’ll pursue this story line like that. I think it’s just meant to develop Jaime and show the viewer that he missed out on a good thing because he wasn’t ready when she was.
I agree, I think the key part of that scene was Roy's follow-up confession immediately after. Everything in the episode up to that moment was meant to lead the viewer down the path of "maybe this falling out with Roy will lead her back to Jamie". Instead they use it as a really major growing point for Roy to come to terms with his own past and feelings for Keeley. If it wasn't for those few seconds, I think things could play out very differently.

Jamie definitely seems to have had some epiphanies after dealing with his father, but I don't think that is going to lead to him and Keeley getting back together. Quite frankly I still don't think he is ready to be with anyone right now.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I don’t have much to add to what was said other than one of my favorite moments was when Mom revealed to Rebecca why she was so nice to Rupert. It was such an important thing Rebecca needed to learn to handle that insufferable jerk. (I can’t believe I’m calling my beloved Giles from “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” a jerk, but it’s not 1997 anymore and he’s hardly lovable Rupert Giles here.)

Reactions: ftaok and Tagbert

MhaelK

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2015
I’m glad everybody seems to enjoy the show.

But honestly, Ted Lasso is starting to give me flashbacks to Game Of Thrones where a strong 1st season is the only reason I keep watching while the characters and new storylines suck the life right out of me. At Least it didnt take several years for it to do it this time?

Am I really the only one who feels that this shown has fallen completely off the cliff?

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle

But honestly, Ted Lasso is starting to give me flashbacks to Game Of Thrones where a strong 1st season is the only reason I keep watching while the characters and new storylines suck the life right out of me. At Least it didnt take several years for it to do it this time?

Am I really the only one who feels that this shown has fallen completely off the cliff?
I'm still loving it. This season is more about the characters and less about the game and that's fine with me.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I'm still loving it. This season is more about the characters and less about the game and that's fine with me.

The game itself wasn't that big of an impact on Season 1 either. It was in the last two episodes when the team was facing relegation, but for the most part, this show is about the behind the scenes aspect of the team rather than the game itself.

I didn't enjoy the Beard episode, but I did love last week's episode. Nice use of Rick Astley.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

But honestly, Ted Lasso is starting to give me flashbacks to Game Of Thrones where a strong 1st season is the only reason I keep watching while the characters and new storylines suck the life right out of me. At Least it didnt take several years for it to do it this time😂

If they have Keeley drifting back to Jamie then it’s going to feel too soap opera-ish for me. I watched soaps during their heyday in the 80’s and lost interest during the 90’s precisely because the stories started to be nothing but bringing characters apart then breaking them up.

A super-couple in a soap is just a couple who can manage to get back together successfully after going off with someone else and having children, often while suffering from amnesia. o_O:rolleyes:

Extra points if one of the actors wants to leave the show and gets killed off, bombs at the movies or fails to get their pilot picked up, and manages to get written back in, usually with the aforementioned amnesia. 🤣

In real life, what makes being a part of a couple interesting is how you figure out how to stay together and be interesting to each other and offering fidelity while also giving each other the freedom to grow and be yourselves. And I thought Keeley and Roy were on a roll doing that. So if Jamie is written to mess with that now, ugh it’s going to feel cheap and contrived and just soap operatically lazy.

I hope Rebecca and Sam aren’t over yet. Lol now I feel like I’m talking about “Cheers”. Let me check the calendar and make sure it’s 2021!

There’s some serious chemistry there that I didn’t expect from Sam, who seems really too young for any relationships, when he’s with the team. But he’s got a lot of depth and the actor who plays him is doing a fantastic job bringing that out in scenes with Rebecca. He’s got a lot of joy in him and goodness knows Rebecca needs that in her life.

I’m interested in Doc and Ted. To me, they’re becoming the most interesting duo in the show.

I am impressed that they’re fleshing out the team so well. I related so much to Daniel suffering in his dress shoes. I’ve been there, done that. I think nearly all men and women have. It was oddly satisfying to see him be so emotive of the uniquely awful pain that stiff, bad fitting dress shoes put us through. Most people suffer in silence, so it was good to see him just go all out and put that misery out there. 😆

I hope once the writers have finished showing us more who these people are as individuals, we will get to go back to the dynamics of the team and their struggle to victory.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009

But honestly, Ted Lasso is starting to give me flashbacks to Game Of Thrones where a strong 1st season is the only reason I keep watching while the characters and new storylines suck the life right out of me. At Least it didnt take several years for it to do it this time😂

I enjoyed season 1 more than I am enjoying this season, but season 2 is still good IMO. I'll need to see how it ends though. I still really don't know what we're building too. Is Ted going to have a full on public meltdown? Is Nate going to leave Richmond to coach for Rupert? Is Richmond going to win automation promotion or the promotion playoff?

I honestly have an issue with any of those being the climax of the season. If Ted melts down even more, then the work he has done with the therapist has been for nothing. If the ending is Richmond gaining promotion, then they shouldn't have ignored the soccer all season. Nate leaving would almost be a "good riddance" feeling for me considering the jerk he has become this season.

The creators have alot of work to do to wrap this season up in a satisfying way. This season has been a mish mash of good side stories, but it doesn't feel like there is anything that we're building up to in these final 2 episodes.

Reactions: 5105973 and MhaelK

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
The game itself wasn't that big of an impact on Season 1 either. It was in the last two episodes when the team was facing relegation, but for the most part, this show is about the behind the scenes aspect of the team rather than the game itself.

I didn't enjoy the Beard episode, but I did love last week's episode. Nice use of Rick Astley.
Soccer and the team was a pretty large focus in season 1. Much more so than just the last 2 episodes of season 1 and much more so than this season.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
I think that worrying about Keeley and Jamie is unfounded. The writers have earned our trust. There are tropes that have been set up to appear obvious, that were then curve-balled, especially this season. Dr. Fieldstone shows up and convention suggests she and Ted will be in a power struggle for the heart of the team...only they aren't. Hints are dropped all over the place that Rebecca and Ted are on the verge of a romantic relationship...only they aren't. Beard catches Nate being a jerk, Nate apologizes and the team forgives him and Nate is ready to embrace being less toxic again...only he isn't.

I'm confident that whatever is coming between Keeley and Roy and Jamie, that it will play out in a way that the tropes don't generally suggest.

It's clear to me that Season 1 was not the raison d'etre of the show. That was Act I: Introduction. We get to know all these characters in what will turn out to be mild conflict. Season 2 is the crux. Act II: Peril. We are putting these characters into terrible places (emotionally). We are in the Dark Forest. Act III will be Resolution.

I think it's going to get darker. The worst part, I think, will be Nate. I don't think most of this will happen until next season, but will get set up perhaps in the last two episodes this season:

--Rupert is giving up Bex's shares so he can buy a different team, and he is going to poach Nate to be his coach. That feels like the cleanest explanation of the events from last episode. This is a trope, but it's the trope to set things up.
--We will not resolve Nate's anger issues this season. Put into a position of authority, and with only toxic personalities (Rupert and anyone he's likely to hire in the Higgins role) above him on the food chain, his anger will become more public, and worse.
--Least worrisome possibility? Nate ends up coaching against Richmond in an important game. The show stands tropes on their heads, so I could definitely see the writers setting this up and having it end in an unexpected way, something very outside the bounds of the rom-com.
--Next most worrisome possibility? Nate does something to his father. Their relationship becomes broken, the counterpoint to Ted coming to terms with his father's suicide. This might not be what will happen because we already have Jamie and James Tartt. But perhaps.
--Most worrisome possibility? Nate will lash out at a woman. Someone like Jade from the restaurant. Physical and/or verbal and/or emotional abuse. I fear that this is something they're building to. He's already shown his toxicity in big and small ways; he's already expressed his frustration with women. It will get worse when he has no one to talk him down from the ledge, until there is an unforgiveable action.

The others I don't have a clear idea. Rebecca and Sam I don't know. The big obvious outcomes just wouldn't be like the show. The one I really hope doesn't happen is Sam making some big gesture or coming to the rescue and convincing Rebecca that she really can't be complete without a man. Ugh. But I don't really know. From the sound of the text blurb for the next episode we will get some other part of this setup. I suppose her being with Ted is still in play, if boring. The two of them somehow losing themselves in a sad way but having each other to help them through it platonically, is a little less boring. But I have no idea.

Beard? No clue. Higgins, nothing.

I get the issues Keeley might have. She spent however much time trying to mold Jamie. She connects with Roy, but Roy has all season shown that though he is more mature than Jamie was, Keeley is still teaching him lessons. With Jamie finding a more mature version of himself this season, suddenly it's Roy with his swearing and his sometimes gruff and unnuanced way of looking at the world that seems the childish one, maybe? Keeley may see in Jamie now the man she has been trying so hard to groom him OR Roy into. I think that could be great, nuanced conflict between the three. That Roy and Jamie's relationship is so tortured but in flux really adds to this part of the show and I am really excited to see what happens.

Anyway, just my thoughts, I am probably way off base, but I'm just so excited for the last two episodes of the season that I am thinking about it a lot.

EDIT: Just occurred to me, we will get to compare and contrast Rebecca's and Keeley's solutions to their relationship crises. Sounds likely.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.