Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
I enjoyed the most recent episode as well, very much.

Really, this is a delightful show. It took me a long time to begin watching it, but I enjoy the characters very much. It is a welcome diversion from so many other things these days.

Reactions: Ideanj

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Nathan Shelly! You stop this behavior at once!

Also, Coach Beard is apparently Batman. Never seen them in the same room, so…

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
That was a great Episode (S2E7)
I love the scenes with Ted and Sharon, can't wait to see where that's going.
Had some good laughs, like the boots room
And the wonder kid... damn he was on such a good track, and then... oh well.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Roy Kent setting off my HomePod with his playlist was brilliant. The playlist is real.

I just watched this and our HomePod did the same thing and we had to pause the show because my family and I were laughing so hard. I came here to see if this happened to anyone else. We love this show.

I’ve got teens watching it and it’s a bit more risqué than my husband and I would have preferred, watching this show as a family, but I know they see and hear plenty just being out in the world and my time sheltering them from F bombs and sex jokes is at an end. If they’re comfortable laughing with their mom and dad about these things, so much the better.

When we were watching Rebecca’s mum barging in and talking to the naked boyfriend in the kitchen, I turned to my kids and said “I’ll be sure and call first before dropping in for a visit.” They all laughed and thanked me for that promise.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Oh yeah the wonder kid thing is an excellent storyline. There’s more depth to it than I was expecting. It’s clear his father’s messing his head up. My husband and I have a couple of friends like that in real life unfortunately. It’s really surprising to see this addressed in a comedy and so far, so realistically. This show can be so screwball and fantastical and yet so real at the same time.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
He needs to have a session or two with Doctor Sharon. But we all know what his problem is. His dad is a prick.

theadz01

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2004
London
Same here! And thanks for posting the playlist. I"m sure the producers of the show knew it would have this affect for many viewers, and were chuckling to themselves as they set up the playlist so it would work this way. Great fun!
It's a pretty good playlist...Roy Kent knows his music!!

Tsubame

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
He needs to have a session or two with Doctor Sharon. But we all know what his problem is. His dad is a prick.
Pretty much, I don't think he has totally lost himself to his minute of fame, Beard helped check that really fast (sidenote: Coach Beard may be my favourite character in the whole series). He just wants validation from his father, and he really thought that would be the thing that would get him there. We see the same thing earlier on at the Greek restaurant.

Reactions: 5105973 and ftaok

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
What a great Episode (S2E8)
So many things happening.
Tartt's dad did quite the scene. I guess he is a drug addict?
What will Keeley say about the date? Will Rebecca even tell the truth?
I guess next episode will be more about Ted and Nathan though.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
What a great Episode (S2E8)
So many things happening.
Tartt's dad did quite the scene. I guess he is a drug addict?
What will Keeley say about the date? Will Rebecca even tell the truth?
I guess next episode will be more about Ted and Nathan though.
By the title and caption, the next episode will be about Beard.

Reactions: jdechko

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
My husband and I have a couple of friends like that in real life unfortunately. It’s really surprising to see this addressed in a comedy and so far, so realistically
somehow I missed your post before.
I thought wonder kid's dad is very over the top unrealistic. It frightens me to hear such a behavior is deemed realistic. How can a person be so... I have no words for this.
Does no one say something about it? Also why would one want to be friends with such a person?

Reactions: yaxomoxay

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
somehow I missed your post before.
I thought wonder kid's dad is very over the top unrealistic. It frightens me to hear such a behavior is deemed realistic. How can a person be so... I have no words for this.
Does no one say something about it? Also why would one want to be friends with such a person?
I've seen that harsh behavior passed from father to son. The father character's own father may have been equally harsh with him. It can happen over generations and be difficult, but not impossible, to break away from. Nathan has the awareness, having been treated very kindly by the team and the staff, that his father is very wrong. I feel sorry for Nate's mother too.

It seems we have three father stories: (1) Ted's father incident, (2) Nathan's father's harshness, and (3) Jamie's father's drunken arrogance (or however one would describe it). For each, as these stories unfold, we see how they're overcoming the emotional hand they've been dealt and how the team's bonds win more than games.

Edited: I suppose Sam's father story is part of this too. He's an encouraging and enthusiastic supporter of his son's success.

Last edited:
Reactions: jdechko and 5105973

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I've seen that harsh behavior passed from father to son. The father character's own father may have been equally harsh with him. It can happen over generations and be difficult, but not impossible, to break away from. Nathan has the awareness, having been treated very kindly by the team and the staff, that his father is very wrong. I feel sorry for Nate's mother too.

It seems we have three father stories: (1) Ted's father incident, (2) Nathan's father's harshness, and (3) Roy's father's drunken arrogance (or however one would describe it). For each, as these stories unfold, we see how they're overcoming the emotional hand they've been dealt.
Jamie's father not Roy's...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.