Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Liverpool got their win, though RB made a serious game of it, especially in the first half. Keita scores against his old team. Salah with some risible misses and one worldie.

While Liverpool are not a long ball-reliant team, they have lately been making use of long diagonal passes as a way to open up the pitch and make their transitions more dangerous. Alexander-Arnold is particularly dangerous with these. It's easy to forget he's only 21.

Last edited:

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
We are up to 5th!
rhod.png

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Arsenal's defending is about as robust as a wet paper bag, and their midfield is just unable to exert any control. Their attacking players must be so frustrated.

Lack of speed in defense is clearly a problem. There is just no recovery speed yet Arsenal still play a high line...against Man City. Additionally, Luiz is no good in a back four...yet that's what they are using today.

They either need a whole new defensive unit who possess pace, or they need to not play so high up the pitch, one or the other.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just over an hour to go, to deal with Citeh (deliberate spelling)...

Arsenal are already two nil down to Manchester City.

Er, um....not good.
[automerge]1576429278[/automerge]
Arsenal's defending is about as robust as a wet paper bag, and their midfield is just unable to exert any control. Their attacking players must be so frustrated.

Lack of speed in defense is clearly a problem. There is just no recovery speed yet Arsenal still play a high line...against Man City. Additionally, Luiz is no good in a back four...yet that's what they are using today.

They either need a whole new defensive unit who possess pace, or they need to not play so high up the pitch, one or the other.

Sigh.

They need a whole new defensive unit.

A complete new defensive unit.

And they need to learn to actually pass the ball irrespective of whether they play a high pressing game or not.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Man City indulging in a bit of their tactical fouling, and it looks like Rodri has kicked Kolasinic out of the match.

Another goal from De Bruyne, while Arsenal were temporarily down to 10. This scoreline might get ugly.

Reactions: JamesMike

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Man City indulging in a bit of their tactical fouling, and it looks like Rodri has kicked Kolasinic out of the match.

Another goal from De Bruyne, while Arsenal were temporarily down to 10. This scoreline might get ugly.

I had just opened a bottle of wine for dinner, (a Grand Cru St Emilion) and was about to decant it, but, instead, almost spilt some, when De Bruyne scored their (Manchester City's) third.

Manchester City are good enough not to need tactical fouling to aid their game, but agreed, Arsenal couldn't defend their way out of a wet paper bag, and I will add to that, that Leno is an excellent keeper, and deserves far better in front of him.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I was about to write that Arsenal's defence is shockingly bad, but that comes as small surprise - and is hardly news - for this has been the sorry state of Arsenal's defence for the past few years.

Anyway, the score remains Manchester City 3, to Arsenal 0.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Man Utd currently have one less point than they did last season under Mourinho. The ‘mood’ is better under OGS, but the same suits are still running the club and results are not really better. Champions league qualification is still possible, but far from assured.

I had just opened a bottle of wine for dinner, (a Grand Cru St Emilion) and was about to decant it, but, instead, almost spilt some, when De Bruyne scored their (Manchester City's) third.

No team are worth spilling decent wine over!

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
My fear is that a new manager/coach comes in, and still can't resolve our (Arsenal) issues.

At this rate, we need to sell quite a few players and buy quite a few. A new manager or coach cannot do all that in one season.

A sad state of affairs. I feel we are going to be mid table, for a few seasons to come.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Man Utd currently have one less point than they did last season under Mourinho. The ‘mood’ is better under OGS, but the same suits are still running the club and results are not really better. Champions league qualification is still possible, but far from assured.

The rebuild is underway. A number of overpaid veteran players were shown the door and younger players have taken their place. There is an actual positive direction being undertaken by the club. United has fewer points this season compared to last, true, but are closer to the top 4.

I'm honestly not too surprised by today's result; United still needs a midfielder who can unlock a packed defense. Really could have used Pogba today. Nobody had a great day out there, except for Wan-Bissaka and the ever-lethal Mason Greenwood.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
The rebuild is underway. A number of overpaid veteran players were shown the door and younger players have taken their place. There is an actual positive direction being undertaken by the club. United has fewer points this season compared to last, true, but are closer to the top 4.

I'm honestly not too surprised by today's result; United still needs a midfielder who can unlock a packed defense. Really could have used Pogba today. Nobody had a great day out there, except for Wan-Bissaka and the ever-lethal Mason Greenwood.
The team doesn't appear to put on a "show" when they play against lower tier teams.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My fear is that a new manager/coach comes in, and still can't resolve our (Arsenal) issues.

At this rate, we need to sell quite a few players and buy quite a few. A new manager or coach cannot do all that in one season.

A sad state of affairs. I feel we are going to be mid table, for a few seasons to come.

Agreed.

At least three transfer windows - if not four - are needed to begin to address Arsenal's issues, that brittle and porous defence not least among them.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
The team doesn't appear to put on a "show" when they play against lower tier teams.

As I posted earlier, I think this is down to OGS's current tactical approach, which is essentially pacy counterattacking. Man Utd are at their best against teams who are willing to press high and / or pass the ball expansively. They need space to run into, and the "better" teams will allow this space. Against more compact, defensive teams Man Utd find it harder to find that space and struggle to score.

Last edited:

ScrumpyDaniel

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2019
Well my team Ipswich are doing our best to balls up League 1. 1 win since early November. Thankfully still 2nd but teams are catching up and we really don't look good currently. Still only about halfway through the season and i'm sure we'll pick up form but i'm concerned we're going to mess this up as we really need to get back up to the Championship at the first attempt otherwise it will be awful for the club & town!

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Believe me, I do not have the first clue about being a Manager/Coach of a football club; yet alone of Arsenal.
However, I am still not sure about having Arteta as our Coach (since we've moved to a Coach, versus Manager).

Maybe, I just want the 'good old days' back. And, nervous that someone fresh like Arteta will drag us in the wrong direction.

Then again, I suppose, the old adage of "Don't knock it till you try it', comes to mind. So, let's see. After all, can we really be any worse off now? - besides relegation :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.