Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Believe me, I do not have the first clue about being a Manager/Coach of a football club; yet alone of Arsenal.
However, I am still not sure about having Arteta as our Coach (since we've moved to a Coach, versus Manager).

Maybe, I just want the 'good old days' back. And, nervous that someone fresh like Arteta will drag us in the wrong direction.

Then again, I suppose, the old adage of "Don't knock it till you try it', comes to mind. So, let's see. After all, can we really be any worse off now? - besides relegation :eek:

To be perfectly candid, "the good old days" are a long way off; it will be years before anything resembling them is restored.

At the moment, Arsenal's problems far exceed the ability or capacity of "a coach" (or "chief coach", or "manager") to put right in one season.

"Dragging (Arsenal) in the wrong direction"" is not the issue, here; the team are perfectly capable of "dragging themselves" in a wrong direction with or without a manager.

There is a lack of leadership, especially in midfield, (and I still find it difficult to accept that Arsenal were prepared to allow Ramsay to leave without attempting to extend his contract), and there are the endless and very obvious issues with that calamitous defence.

The problem was that the rot had set in long before the appointment of Unai Emery, and the fact that Arsenal still managed to finish in the top four until almost the end of Mr Wenger's period at the helm, (even coming second to Leicester in 2016) disguised the deeper and more fundamental failings of both defence, attitude and mental strength on the field, and an atrocious and dysfunctional structure in senior management.

Basically, things haven't been quite the same since the departure of David Dein, and, irrespective of who is appointed manager (or chief coach) to succeed Unai Emery, (as Freddie Ljungberg has been appointed in an acting capacity), there are also issues with senior management.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Today we learned that a "meh" Premier League side is still quite superior to an "excellent" under-23 side.

Also that FIFA and the FA and whoever else schedules international tournaments (which I guess the Club World Cup technically is...) are a bunch of knuckleheads.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Today we learned that a "meh" Premier League side is still quite superior to an "excellent" under-23 side.

Also that FIFA and the FA and whoever else schedules international tournaments (which I guess the Club World Cup technically is...) are a bunch of knuckleheads.

Which offers the valuable lesson that while top Premiership teams have vast resources, and considerable strength in depth, neither resources nor strength in depth are limitless.

Reactions: JamesMike

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Watching Man U play Colchester in a quarterfinal match of the Carabao Cup.

Man U played better in the second half, winning 3-0.

Last edited:

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
If one is to believe anything online, Arteta soon to be appointed.

Even more interesting times ahead...

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Liverpool progress in the World Club Cup despite having to partner Jordan Henderson with Joe Gomez in the center of defense. Not an easy match (the better Mexican teams are quite good), but of course you'd hope a "semi-final" would be worthy of the name. Virgl van Dijk, who was ill for this match, should return in time for the final.

With Liverpool out of the Cowabunga (League) Cup, the competition seems a bit more open. This could be Man Utd's chance to win something this season; ditto Leicester. Should be Man City's to lose, though. They will be eager to humble Man Utd after the result of the previous league match.

The Guardian is reporting this, as well.

The sooner the better, for all parties. Arteta certainly has his work cut out for him.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Liverpool progress in the World Club Cup despite having to partner Jordan Henderson with Joe Gomez in the center of defense. Not an easy match (the better Mexican teams are quite good), but of course you'd hope a "semi-final" would be worthy of the name. Virgl van Dijk, who was ill for this match, should return in time for the final.

With Liverpool out of the Cowabunga (League) Cup, the competition seems a bit more open. This could be Man Utd's chance to win something this season; ditto Leicester. Should be Man City's to lose, though. They will be eager to humble Man Utd after the result of the previous league match.

Agreed, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Leicester - who have less to lose in terms of pride or reputation, than the other "top" teams, but who have an excellent, focussed and ambitious team - pull this off.

The sooner the better, for all parties. Arteta certainly has his work cut out for him.

Amen to both points.

Arteta certainly has his work cut out for him, and Freddie Ljungberg has come to the belated (and probably deeply disappointing) realisation that this is not something that can be achieved on a skeleton staff and meagre resources.

It is clear that Unai Emery's backroom staff departed with him, therefore, I would imagine that the cupboard is pretty bare, and, for now, the overpaid underachievers in the dressing room are having maters pretty much their own way.

Re Ozil and his remarks about China, for once, he is absolutely right, but it is never a good look for a team when their off-field antics or utterances claim headlines at the expense of their poor performances on the football pitch.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Re Ozil and his remarks about China, for once, he is absolutely right, but it is never a good look for a team when their off-field antics or utterances claim headlines at the expense of their poor performances on the football pitch.

Hurrah to Ozil for speaking out. Arsenal's response was cowardly and driven by greed - but to be fair they are no different from any other club in that regard (though, for an exception, see the reasoning behind FC Cologne's decision to pull out of running an academy in China). The notion that any public person or corporation can truly be apolitical in 2019 is a staggering piece of ignorance, willful or otherwise.

Liverpool have done well to support calls for investigations into migrant worker deaths in Qatar, but it is still not enough. The sad reality is that the goals of developing a global sporting brand and maintaining a high level of corporate social responsibility are mutually exclusive. For every good thing done, you can find a questionable decision to balance it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Mikel Arteta has been confirmed as Arsenal manager (actually, he has been appointed to the position of "head coach"), although he does not formally take over the position until this coming Sunday (December 22).

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Interesting times ahead. Plus, I see murmurs online about Ozil going on loan (which sounds weird as I type it), and Xhaka leaving in January...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Interesting times ahead. Plus, I see murmurs online about Ozil going on loan (which sounds weird as I type it), and Xhaka leaving in January...

Depends on what and where to and why this rumoured loan is taking place; if it is the player's desire (and one shared by the club - for Ozil, while an exceptionally talented and gifted player, is also rather erratic, something of a luxury and prone to go AWOL in major games), that is one thing, but if this is as a result of pressure from authoritarian administrations such as the one currently holding office in China, then Arsenal need to take a long, hard look at themselves, as questions need to be asked as to who - or what - is, or ought to be, allowed an influence over such decisions in such situations.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A nice touch to have both Mikel Arteta (newly appointed Arsenal "head coach" but won't actually officially take over at Arsenal until tomorrow, Sunday) and Carlo Ancelotti (newly appointed Everton manager, but who also won't assume responsibility for Everton until this coming Monday), sitting together at the Arsenal v Everton match.

Much to ponder and much food for thought, especially for Arteta, who has started with an impressive press conference setting out his position and making clear that players who are not willing to sign up to his view or vision, or who are "negative" or who do not deliver, may seek their footballing futures elsewhere.

What is clear is that he intends to take charge of the dressing room, a place where dissent and the cliques that have thrived in recent seasons may find themselves challenged.

Anyway, for now it is half time, the score at 0-0.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
An uninspiring 0-0 draw between Everton and Arsenal.

Both Mr Arteta and Mr Ancelotti have their work cut out.

However, despite the fact that Everton were uninspiring, and not remotely ruthless tough in attack - Arsenal, - playing some from the under-23 team rather than their more usual defenders, did manage to keep a clean sheet.

Out of such tiny steps does some sort of progress (possibly) come.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I see that West Ham legend Martin Peters has passed away at 76.

He was a Spurs (and England) legend, as well.

Gary Lineker described him as a great footballer and "a perfect gentleman", which is the sort of accolade I always like to read.

I note that dementia - Alzheimers - has featured as a cause of death; while dementia does claim many lives, 76 is relatively young, and in the footballing world, there have been an increasing number of footballers dying as a result of Alzheimers at relatively young ages.

A number of articles I have read have asked whether the heavy leather footballs that were used in the 60s and 70s (and before that) may have been a cause of this unusually large number of relatively young footballers succumbing to Alzheimers in later life; heading something heavy - at speed - such as a football, on a regular basis may not necessarily be good for your long term (mental) health.

Actually, I can foresee a time when footballers are required to wear some sort of cranial protection, or protective headgear, but that is well into the future, and may yet arise as a result of some sort of legal action.

Last edited:

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
As we learned the hard way in Special Operations 'being macho' is not the answer. You spend millions of dollars on selecting, educating and training operational personnel, then don't provide proper headgear to protect the individual and the investments is not smart.
[automerge]1576965749[/automerge]
He was a Spurs (and England) legend, as well.

Gary Lineker described him as a great footballer and "a perfect gentleman", which is the sort of accolade I always like to read.

I note that dementia - Alzheimers - has featured as a cause of death; while dementia does claim many lives, 76 is relatedly young, and in the footballing world, there have been an increasing number of footballers dying as a result of Alzheimers at relatively young ages.

A number of articles I have read have asked whether the heavy leather footballs that were used in the 60s and 70s (and before that) may have been a cause of this unusually large number of relatively young footballers succumbing to Alzheimers in later life; heading something heavy - at speed - such as a football, on a regular basis may not necessarily be good for your long term (mental) health.

Actually, I can foresee a time when footballers are required to wear some sort of cranial protection, but that is well into the future, and may yet arise as a result of some sort of legal action.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
As we learned the hard way in Special Operations 'being macho' is not the answer. You spend millions of dollars on selecting, educating and training operational personnel, then don't provide proper headgear to protect the individual and the investments is not smart.
[automerge]1576965749[/automerge]

During my first deployment as an election observer, in the Balkans (Bosnia) in 1997, I remember speaking with some older military chaps/guys, who had suffered profound hearing loss - again, as a result of "being macho" while undergoing weapons training as young officers in the 60s, and how they had told me that they later regretted this, and recognised how stupidly and ludicrously self-defeating it was, as, at that time, signalling that you wished to wear ear-muffs, or ear protection, while firing weaponry was seen as unmanly, and it was thought that one was "being macho" to proceed without it.

Re footballers, over the past few years, the Guardian has published a number of interesting (and some, rather moving) interviews with family members of footballers who had succumbed to extraordinary and premature - and dramatic - mental deterioration - many with dementia or Alzheimers - and it was postulated that heading heavy footballs frequently during their playing days may have contributed to this state of affairs.

However, I would be surprised if this doesn't surface as an issue over the coming decades, and some sort of health regulation - possibly as a result of recommendations, regulations, or in response to court action - may yet require that footballers who intend to head a football wear protective headgear.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Wow, that AFTV stuff got out of hand today. Interesting...

Enlighten me (or us); I try to steer clear of AFTV and, in general, give it a very wide berth.

In fact, the last time I watched anything from that source - for the abundance of easily aroused (and somewhat entitled) rage irks me - was the they did an interview (a surprisingly good one) with John Bercow, the former Speaker of the House of Commons, who is an Arsenal fan.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
IMG_3056.PNG

WE'RE UP TO 3RD!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.