Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Easy for United in the end, though some shambolic defending put them in an early hole and Dubrovik should have done a bit better on Martial's first goal. Smooth sailing afterwards. Pogba played 45 minutes and looked fantastic and committed; unfortunately he subbed on for McTominay who looks to have torn ligaments in his knee, a tremendous blow.

I already knew no one was stopping Liverpool this season, but they looked light years ahead of the second best club in the league — my goodness. Trent Alexander-Arnold sure is in some beast mode right now.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Liverpool are in an excellent position and playing exceptionally good football. But there are a lot of matches left to play, and many of them will be very hard contests. The most encouraging thing from a Liverpool perspective is Klopp's mastery of the team - he is keeping the entire squad focused and hungry, they trust each other, and they are giving 100% every match.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I’d have liked to have seen Leicester win yesterday just to keep the title race interesting. But I’m pretty much resigned to it being over.

of course I’d have preferred it if we hadn’t turned a 0-1 lead into a 2-1 defeat! But that’s West Ham at the moment.

Not sure if a change of Manager will make things any better.
Fabanski back in goal will certainly help though.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I’d have liked to have seen Leicester win yesterday just to keep the title race interesting. But I’m pretty much resigned to it being over.

of course I’d have preferred it if we hadn’t turned a 0-1 lead into a 2-1 defeat! But that’s West Ham at the moment.

Not sure if a change of Manager will make things any better.
Fabanski back in goal will certainly help though.

The point is that Liverpool - while excellent for the past two years, remember last year they lost only one game throughout the entire season, won the Champion's League, and were runners-up to Manchester City for the Premiership, trailing them by a single point - realised that they had to be even better than excellent in order to win the Premiership, and now are on track to achieve that.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
With Ancelotti at the helm, Everton have the potential to charge back up the table, with the Europa League spots at least being a realistic target. Teams in 5th-10th in the table need to be looking over their shoulder.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Woof, if this scoreline stands Chelsea absolutely stole the win against Arsenal, who lead for 70 minutes...

Chelsea were terrible in the first half, and Arsenal wasted 2-3 chances to put the game out of reach after their first goal. Given that Arsena's strength is their attack (and their defense is a shambles), they cannot afford to waste chances like that.

Jorginho should have been sent off before he scored after Leno's mistake, and Arsenal's shaky defending came back to haunt them when they were bushwhacked with that late counterattack. Mustafi...NOT a good defender (though to be fair he took a substantial blow to the head earlier in the match). Luiz had a good match though, as did Torreira.

As for Chelsea, it's a big result for them, but they looked pretty average for much of the match. Arsenal gave them far too many opportunities to get back in the game. Some great attacking moments but overall this match was more about Arsenal's failure than Chelsea's success.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Woof, if this scoreline stands Chelsea absolutely stole the win against Arsenal, who lead for 70 minutes...

Chelsea were terrible in the first half, and Arsenal wasted 2-3 chances to put the game out of reach after their first goal. Given that Arsena's strength is their attack (and their defense is a shambles), they cannot afford to waste chances like that.

Jorginho should have been sent off before he scored after Leno's mistake, and Arsenal's shaky defending came back to haunt them when they were bushwhacked with that late counterattack. Mustafi...NOT a good defender (though to be fair he took a substantial blow to the head earlier in the match). Luiz had a good match though, as did Torreira.

As for Chelsea, it's a big result for them, but they looked pretty average for much of the match. Arsenal gave them far too many opportunities to get back in the game. Some great attacking moments but overall this match was more about Arsenal's failure than Chelsea's success.

Agreed, but it has probably been a most instructive lesson for Arteta, as it serves to emphasise the areas that need immediate attention (defence but within defence, specific deficiencies exist and need to be addressed).

Yes, Arsenal should have put away their chances in the first half, and given themselves a half decent cushion when and while they were in command of the game - you cannot afford to be so careless and profligate with chance - but that dreadful defence really needs attention.

Agree also that Jorginho should probably have walked, but there were quite a few yellow cards issued thought the match, but frankly, even without that, failing to take your chances, and inept defending will cost you such a game.

If you are lucky you might not lose your best players. I think he’ll be lucky to attract ‘better’ players.
There are rarely good players available in January.

Not now; perhaps in summer, some may clamour to depart.

However, Arteta has to construct a narrative of why a rejuvenated Arsenal might be an attractive proposition for players to wish to join, and he must demonstrate a recognition of the (stark) failings an defensive deficiencies, and a keen desire to correct, or remedy them.

Reactions: JamesMike

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
It is nice to see Man U move into 5th place, hopefully, they will continue the good play; with the use of the young players they may have to open a 'daycare center'.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
Liverpool 13 points away from second place Leicester with a game to go, wow. I think what separates Liverpool from all the other “good” teams is that they are just much more consistent. Even in the games where they play kinda meh, they take advantage of their chances unlike for example City who seem very wasteful in front of the goal at times.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
What a match at Anfield... I've seen Wolves a couple times this season but they were so impressive today. They went toe-to-toe against Liverpool and absolutely matched them in everything but finishing, and that only just. They created more than enough chances to win it, but they skied a couple clear shots way over the bar. Those misses were the decisive moments of the match, not VAR (I'll get to VAR in a moment).

As for Liverpool, they did what they had to do and got the result without necessarily playing their best. They had a slice of luck in terms of Wolves not capitalizing on a couple mistakes, but they showed their qualities at a time when players are being asked to platy far too many matches in a short space of time (and, to be fair, Wolves looked great despite having just run themselves into the ground against City).

Another week, another VAR controversy...First off, Liverpool's goal was legitimate (and excellent), and VAR did in fact ensure the "correct" outcome. But the disallowed Wolves goal...I hate the way VAR is used in offside calls. Yes, technically the player was a millimeter offside, but in the entirety of the pre-VAR era that is not called offside. I can't claim to have any answers, but it is definitely spoiling things.

On the other hand, remember all those fans and managers who used to whine about the need for VAR? You know, the same ones that are now frothing at the mouth about these VAR offside calls? Guess what folks, be careful what you wish for.

It is interesting to note that without VAR (and everything else playing out the same) the match would likely have been a 1-0 win for Wolves, with Liverpool's goal being wrongly disallowed for handball and Wolves' goal being wrongly permitted to stand despite being a tiny, tiny bit offside. Still, VAR did not decide the outcome, despite what conspiracy theorists on the internet will say.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
What a match at Anfield... I've seen Wolves a couple times this season but they were so impressive today. They went toe-to-toe against Liverpool and absolutely matched them in everything but finishing, and that only just. They created more than enough chances to win it, but they skied a couple clear shots way over the bar. You can't do that at this level and get away with it.

As for Liverpool, they did what they had to do and got the result without necessarily playing their best. They had a slice of luck in terms of Wolves not capitalizing on a couple mistakes, but they showed their qualities at a time when players are being asked to platy far too many matches in a short space of time.

Another week, another VAR controversy...First off, Liverpool's goal was legitimate (and excellent), and VAR did in fact ensure the "correct" outcome. But the disallowed Wolves goal...I hate the way VAR is used in offside calls. Yes, technically the player was a millimeter offside, but in the entirety of the pre-VAR era that is not called offside. I can't claim to have any answers, but it is definitely spoiling things.

On the other hand, remember all those fans and managers who used to whine about the need for VAR? You know, the same ones that are now frothing at the mouth about these VAR offside calls? Guess what folks, be careful what you wish for.

It is interesting to note that without VAR (and everything else playing out the same) the match would be a 1-0 win for Wolves, with Liverpool's goal being wrongly disallowed for handball and Wolves' goal being wrongly permitted to stand despite being a tiny, tiny bit offside.

I suspect that a draw would have been the fairer result, but - as always happens with teams that become Champions, they can win with stupefying grace and skill, but, of equal importance, they can win ugly (which wasn't the case here), and grind out unspectacular wins.

And, more important still, some small - but key - decisions go their way over the course of the season; however, that is more than luck - it is teams making their luck.

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I suspect that a draw would have been the fairer result, but - as always happens with teams that become Champions, they can win with stupefying grace and skill, but, of equal importance, they can win ugly (which wasn't the case here), and grind out unspectacular wins.

And, more important still, some small - but key - decisions go their way over the course of the season; however, that s more than luck - it is teams making their luck.

Not even Liverpool's worst detractors will chalk their record up solely to lucky VAR calls. Klopp has spent a handful of (well-resourced) years building this squad and we are now seeing the fruits of that. Klopp is not perfect, but in terms of transfers, tactics, player management and personal deportment he's gotten it right much more often than not, and he's also been supported by the club.

(Warning - VAR-related ranting)

Sheffield United just had a goal chalked off for a very marginal offside, and City went on to score and are thus currently winning 1-0. Should be 1-1, according to the VAR conspiracy theorists...but if that's true, the VAR-haters are effectively arguing that the offside rule is wrong...maybe an attacking players should be allowed to be a little bit offside, they say...because the "offside by an armpit" calls just aren't common sense. The game's gone!

The problem here is that VAR is great at measuring things that the naked eye cannot see in real time, and I honestly can't think of a fair alternative to the rule as written. If we relax it, how much? An inch? a foot? How do we consistently measure that? Will that be fairer from the fans' perspective?

VAR solves some problems and creates new ones. Welcome to real life. VAR is successful as a technology, but it does fail on one key count - it does NOT reduce the number controversial refereeing decisions, it simply adds a new factor for people to complain about.

Society, inside and outside football, is still (wrongly) convinced that we can employ technology to solve social issues. People complain about calls as much out of tribal loyalty and passion as from a genuine concern over fairness. No technology will ever end the bellyaching.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.