Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I turned AOD off first thing when setting up phone
Same, though since I have an Apple Watch always on, I rarely ever have to check for notifications on my phone’s lock screen. It’s just wasting battery for my use case.

I do find it weird though that if you have AOD turned on that it eventually turns off and there’s no override to keep it on all the time if you wish. The name itself implies it never turns off.

Reactions: jamezr and Bkdodger

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Same, though since I have an Apple Watch always on, I rarely ever have to check for notifications on my phone’s lock screen. It’s just wasting battery for my use case.
Exactly 100% watch is my AOD ..and battery is really solid

Reactions: tbayrgs

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I use my phone as my night time clock and my morning alarm.
It is nice to glance over in the middle of the night and see the time. I don't wear my watch when I sleep.
It would be nice to have a setting to leave on all the time or go to sleep to conserve battery.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
It is nice to glance over in the middle of the night and see the time. I don't wear my watch when I sleep.
It would be nice to have a setting to leave on all the time or go to sleep to conserve battery.
I am with you on not wearing my watch, but I keep my screen off as whenever I am aware of the time at night, it causes me to sleep less. LOL, I think I internally dread how few hours I have left to sleep and worry about it.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
standby mode for me is the single biggest and best thing about IOS 17 for me. I love it. so the fact you can use it as a night clock is great

As a guy from the UK who loves NBA basketball to be able to glance over and use the sports alerts app to see the score of my favourite teams is great while also having the clock on the other side by using the widgets.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
The camera module is way too ugly for this phone to win any aesthetics awards.
I wasn't giving the phone an aesthetic award. I said that I thought it was the best looking iPhone ever.
Not the best looking PHONE ever. Compared to previous iPhones, this one looks the best to me due to the move to titanium and the natural titanium colour.

Also, I don't look at the back of my phone so I don't care what the camera looks like so long as it takes good photos.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
standby mode for me is the single biggest and best thing about IOS 17 for me. I love it. so the fact you can use it as a night clock is great
But then when it turns off to go into sleep mode...it is not so helpful.
That is my point. For a feature that was so promoted by Apple. It turns off in the middle of the night and goes into sleep mode.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I wasn't giving the phone an aesthetic award. I said that I thought it was the best looking iPhone ever.
Not the best looking PHONE ever. Compared to previous iPhones, this one looks the best to me due to the move to titanium and the natural titanium colour.

Also, I don't look at the back of my phone so I don't care what the camera looks like so long as it takes good photos.
I think the 4/4S was the best looking.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I've been an Android user since the Nexus 4. I've stayed on the iPhone sidelines up until recently when I tried an iPhone SE 2022 and returned it, too small, couldn't see the screen.

This week I purchased an iPhone 13 from BB because it's the last iPhone series that still has a Sim Tray. I knew going in but what a culture shock using Google phones, when a call comes in and there's NO call screener on the iPhone. Another feature I took for granted is Android's navigation gestures which the iPhone clearly lacks.

So i'm at a crossroad as to whether I should keep it because what good is a phone when it can't screen my calls? 🧐

Reactions: aggie99

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I've been an Android user since the Nexus 4. I've stayed on the iPhone sidelines up until recently when I tried an iPhone SE 2022 and returned it, too small, couldn't see the screen.

This week I purchased an iPhone 13 from BB because it's the last iPhone series that still has a Sim Tray. I knew going in but what a culture shock using Google phones, when a call comes in and there's NO call screener on the iPhone. Another feature I took for granted is Android's navigation gestures which the iPhone clearly lacks.

So i'm at a crossroad as to whether I should keep it because what good is a phone when it can't screen my calls? 🧐
I wish I could use that feature, but I use my phone for work and I've accidently used the screening on potential clients, and that is not good.

Seems like a great feature though for those not in my situation!

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains

I added Hiya (paid) on my iPhone to get that feature. There are a few features on my S23 Ultra I wish my iPhone would adopt. Not counting on it. Work around where I can as I like both devices.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I added Hiya (paid) on my iPhone to get that feature. There are a few features on my S23 Ultra I wish my iPhone would adopt. Not counting on it. Work around where I can as I like both devices.
That's the thing I can't get past as it's embedded into Android and something I wish iOS had as well. Live Voicemail is a workaround but you have to be at the phone for that. Many times, i'm not.

Reactions: dk001

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
That's the thing I can't get past as it's embedded into Android and something I wish iOS had as well. Live Voicemail is a workaround but you have to be at the phone for that. Many times, i'm not.
Forgive my ignorance as I almost never receive phone calls on my Pixel Fold and haven’t had the chance to use the call screening feature in a long time, but what’s the benefit of Google’s call screener over live voicemail on iPhone if you’re not at the phone?

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Forgive my ignorance as I almost never receive phone calls on my Pixel Fold and haven’t had the chance to use the call screening feature in a long time, but what’s the benefit of Google’s call screener over live voicemail on iPhone if you’re not at the phone?
Google's call screener will automatically intercept and answer the phone call. You don't have to be near the phone. If the person responds to the Google Assistant it will transcribe and save the audio of what they said.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Google's call screener will automatically intercept and answer the phone call. You don't have to be near the phone. If the person responds to the Google Assistant it will transcribe and save the audio of what they said.
Ok. On the iPhone, it will go to voicemail if the caller chooses to leave a message, which will also be transcribed.

Isn’t what Google’s doing just them basically handing the voicemail functionality as an intermediary? I’d wager more callers would be willing to respond to a message recorded in my voice than an automated assistant.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the call screening, found it to be a differentiating feature of Pixels but its benefit was really when I had my phone and could interact with it at the time of the call. While not exactly the same, that benefit has been brought to the iPhone in the form of the live voicemail. If I’m not near my phone when the call comes in, both services feel basically the same.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Don’t get me wrong, I like the call screening, found it to be a differentiating feature of Pixels but its benefit was really when I had my phone and could interact with it at the time of the call. While not exactly the same, that benefit has been brought to the iPhone in the form of the live voicemail. If I’m not near my phone when the call comes in, both services feel basically the same.
Umm.. I know with Bixby using a Samsung Phone, it doesn’t automatically pick up the call. You have to opt to use Bixby and I believe it’s the same process with Google’s Call Screener (or I can be wrong).

If anything, both features require you to be near the phone to interact with it.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Ok. On the iPhone, it will go to voicemail if the caller chooses to leave a message, which will also be transcribed.

Isn’t what Google’s doing just them basically handing the voicemail functionality as an intermediary? I’d wager more callers would be willing to respond to a message recorded in my voice than an automated assistant.

Good question! Actually Google's AI software is acting as a person and answering the phone for you and asking the caller why they are calling. You can elect to disable save to text etc if you wish but I like having the callers response transcribe. Google's call screener is far more advanced by multiples than what Apple has done with Live Voicemail.

Google demoed their Google Assistant where it called a hair salon and a restaurant to book an appointment on behalf of the caller. The person on the receiving end had NO idea they were talking to AI. Google's Assistant also handles the Call Screener. The restaurant call was even more impressive because the call didn't go exactly, according to plan but Google's AI understood and still handled it with ease with the party on the other end having no idea that they were having a conversation with Google's AI.

Last edited:
Reactions: aggie99 and jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Good question! Actually Google's AI software is acting as a person and answering the phone for you and asking the caller why they are calling. You can elect to disable save to text etc if you wish but I like having the callers response transcribe. Google's call screener is far more advanced than what Apple has done with Live Voicemail.

Google demoed their Google Assistant where it called a hair salon to book an appointment on behalf of the caller. The person on the receiving end had NO idea they were talking to AI. Google Assistant also handles Call Screener.

This is the future of AI on smartphones...... No one has anything close to this.

Reactions: aggie99

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Good question! Actually Google's AI software is acting as a person and answering the phone for you and asking the caller why they are calling. You can elect to disable save to text etc if you wish but I like having the callers response transcribe. Google's call screener is far more advanced by multiples than what Apple has done with Live Voicemail.

Google demoed their Google Assistant where it called a hair salon and a restaurant to book an appointment on behalf of the caller. The person on the receiving end had NO idea they were talking to AI. Google's Assistant also handles the Call Screener. The restaurant call was even more impressive because the call didn't go exactly, according to plan but Google's AI understood and still handled it with ease with the party on the other end having no idea that they were having a conversation with Google's AI.

Google's solution and features are definitely more sophisticated but at the end of the day, in regards to call screening, I’m getting the same results for my needs. I don't recognize a call, I can screen the call, get a live transcript of the dialogue from the caller should they decide to leave message or come back to the saved message later (text or voice) on either platform. I personally don't care if the caller is able to have a conversation through the course of leaving me a message--that unnecessary overkill. And most of the spam that I'm screening ultimately doesn't leave me a message--the result I'm looking for. But if you want more than that, Google's option is certainly more feature-rich.

I haven't had a chance to try it but IIRC, it can also handle Hold notifications and voice response systems to let you know when you need to pick up and interact.

The Google assistant demo is a gimmick, I'm sorry, at least in it's current state. Nobody use it and the work required to set it up if it's even available isn't worth it. To quote from their own website:

Schedule appointments with Google Assistant​

Important: This feature is available in English in the United States. It is not available for all businesses and services.
You can ask Google Assistant to schedule an appointment for you.

Ask Google Assistant to schedule for you​

1. Go to Google Search or Google Maps.
  2. Search for a service.
    • Example: Hairdresser near me.
  3. If scheduling with Google Assistant is available, tap Request Appointment
    YQjLpG07hpyTPkkqE3Tty8e0XwSBnMFcvRwc
  4. On screen, enter info about your request:
    • The service you want.
    • The date and time you want.
    • When available, give additional details on which service and provider you want.
  5. To get text and email updates about your request, verify your contact info.
Your Google Assistant contacts the service with your request. Then, emails and text you with the results. You can also track your request by going to Reserve with Google.
  • If the appointment slot is open, your Google Assistant schedules it and sends you a confirmation.
  • If the appointment is not available, your Google Assistant provides alternative options, when available. You can choose an alternative or start a new request to try a different date and time.

I went to both Google Maps and Search and tried to find a business that allowed scheduling with Google assistant—couldn’t find any in the first dozen businesses I tried. And the amount of info you need to provide up front—I can just schedule it myself by then.

That demo was a flex to show what Google’s AI/ML could potentially do, but IRL, isn’t used. Maybe as Bard is fully integrated and fleshed out it will be a viable option in the future.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.