Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robbenisland

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2015
Could it be that Apple has improved the scratch resistance of the natural Ti after launch? Recently less reports on this here. Maybe it was a problem on the first batch only?

Reactions: rMBP2013

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
I doubt it. It was most likely because of the hype around/after the launch.

I agree. In my opinion it has to do with the combination of new product and unrealistic desire for perfection. We see similar things with the launch of every iPhone. Much less drama in the stainless steel thread.

Reactions: supertomtom

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I agree. In my opinion it has to do with the combination of new product and unrealistic desire for perfection. We see similar things with the launch of every iPhone. Much less drama in the stainless steel thread.

Remember the drama around the iPhone 7 jet black scratching? Or around the original SS Apple Watch?

Now we look back at those products and don’t think about scratching.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
In my opinion it has to do with the combination of new product and unrealistic desire for perfection.

I’ve been on the Apple Watch forum for approximately three years and pretty much involved in every type of discussion, I’ve never seen anyone trying to keep the Apple Watch ‘perfect’. But for what Apple charges $800 plus for a smart watch, consumers have expectations, can you really blame them for wanting to keep the device in excellent condition as much as possible? (Rhetorical).

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
I’ve been on the Apple Watch forum for approximately three years and pretty much involved in every type of discussion, I’ve never seen anyone trying to keep the Apple Watch ‘perfect’. But for what Apple charges $800 plus for a smart watch, consumers have expectations, can you really blame them for wanting to keep the device in excellent condition as much as possible? (Rhetorical).

@Relentless Power. People can feel however they feel. My point is that, in my opinion higher prices for the AW, do not necessarily correlate with fewer imperfections, although people seem to feel they should. Whether one pays $500, $800 or $1300, THIS IS STILL A MASSED PRODUCED ITEM. Some proportion will scratch or have out of the box issues. This has little to do with the item price. Granted, some configurations are more prone to scratching than others, but I see it having little to do with price. How people treat their watch or particular use patterns are also factors, which are difficult to control and how, as I said, little to do with price.

Last edited:

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Could it be that Apple has improved the scratch resistance of the natural Ti after launch? Recently less reports on this here. Maybe it was a problem on the first batch only?

squeaky wheel?

Funny thing though....I was sitting in church and the sun was shining through the window and I caught a scratch on my watch. I thought "damn a scratch", then "oh well it would happen eventually".

But now its gone! I wipe down my phone/iPad/watch with a microfiber cloth once in a while, must of buffed it out or something.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I need a blog..

no, I decided today to keep the SBTi versus the SBSS so I went to initiate a return on amazon.com to return the Space Black Stainless Steel model and they require a chat session or phone call to confirm that you wipe/restore to factory the watch before giving you a return label.

During the chat I was offered $100 to keep the SSSB and I took it. SBTi is already in the fedex box to go back to Apple but i'm 100% sold on the finish for a Series 6.
I'm sure everyone is riveted enough by this story.. but after sitting on my return box of my Titanium S5 I just couldn't send it back. I love the SBTi that much to pay $300 more. Have to treat yourself in life right! lol

SSSB is gorgeous but it's just more of the same.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'm sure everyone is riveted enough by this story.. but after sitting on my return box of my Titanium S5 I just couldn't send it back. I love the SBTi that much to pay $300 more. Have to treat yourself in life right! lol

Wise decision. Embrace the beauty!

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area

I know the feeling. I originally bought the SS S5 and returned it for the natural Titanium. So glad I did.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
squeaky wheel?

Funny thing though....I was sitting in church and the sun was shining through the window and I caught a scratch on my watch. I thought "damn a scratch", then "oh well it would happen eventually".

But now its gone! I wipe down my phone/iPad/watch with a microfiber cloth once in a while, must of buffed it out or something.
If you look again in direct light it will very much be present. This is the problem I had when trying for a Ti - under the Apple store lights it was perfect, when caught by direct sunlight/lighting then the scratches out of the box where there.
[automerge]1575308843[/automerge]
This is where I was. The different tones in certain lighting conditions make the SBTi simply stunning.

Reactions: techno-Zen

jaytee86

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
squeaky wheel?

my gut says that all the scratches are actually due to the coating getting scratched off unevenly and not the actual metal..

rdavis41

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2009
Finally bit the bullet and ordered by SBTi. Shipped last evening. I should have it next week. I've been SBSS for all generations and just love the varying tint of the SBTi that I decided to take the plunge. Can't wait.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
So happy I decided to keep this SBTi. Love the dynamic shades and shine it provides

Here with Gen 1 Product Red band

Attachments

• 5C350D10-0124-4442-88AC-A4DCAC6E3F70.jpeg
    5C350D10-0124-4442-88AC-A4DCAC6E3F70.jpeg
    321.4 KB · Views: 382

rMBP2013

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Sydney
I need a blog..

no, I decided today to keep the SBTi versus the SBSS so I went to initiate a return on amazon.com to return the Space Black Stainless Steel model and they require a chat session or phone call to confirm that you wipe/restore to factory the watch before giving you a return label.

During the chat I was offered $100 to keep the SSSB and I took it. SBTi is already in the fedex box to go back to Apple but i'm 100% sold on the finish for a Series 6.

Well at that level of saving ($300?), it's a no brainer to keep the SBSS. BTW, people are getting confused 'cuz you keep saying SSSB but it's SBSS. Either spell it out fully or use the correct acronyms. LOL.

PS: no guarantee that Ti will be offered in Series 6.

rMBP2013

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Sydney
Having read all 57 pages over the last few days, I'm now (almost) sold on the SB Titanium watch.

This watch just screams to me begging me to purchase it. LOL.

Reactions: PrettyWings

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
What computer is that in the background, my friend?
It's a company Lenovo machine buddy.
[automerge]1577362777[/automerge]
Having read all 57 pages over the last few days, I'm now (almost) sold on the SB Titanium watch.

100% agreed. I tend to go SBSS but the S5 just felt the same as my S4 and S3 thus, wanted a change. I then couldn't decide between the normal Ti and SBTi but couldn't get a regular Ti scratch free out of the box (I tried 5 times) thus this made my mind up for me. I then went with SBTi and it is simply stunning especially when the light catches it. It's presence is understated but stealthy - go with the dark grey (black) leather loop:

Attachments

• IMG_1009.jpeg
    IMG_1009.jpeg
    497.5 KB · Views: 339

rMBP2013

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Sydney
It's a company Lenovo machine buddy.
[automerge]1577362777[/automerge]

100% agreed. I tend to go SBSS but the S5 just felt the same as my S4 and S3 thus, wanted a change. I then couldn't decide between the normal Ti and SBTi but couldn't get a regular Ti scratch free out of the box (I tried 5 times) thus this made my mind up for me. I then went with SBTi and it is simply stunning especially when the light catches it. It's presence is understated but stealthy - go with the dark grey (black) leather loop:

Thanks for sharing this pic. I'd get it configured exactly like yours, though I'll certainly purchase few extra bands to spice it up given my mood.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

You won’t be disappointed. The diamond like carbon coating [DLC] will protect the casing from any scratches, the black casing offers a really unique look away from the ‘silver’ traditionally of what we see in public. Enjoy.

MacGarage

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2017
Ohio

I just did the same thing.

I have a Nike AW3 and bought my girlfriend a Nike AW5 and saw a big difference. I ordered the SBTi with the sport loop and then canceled that and ordered the SBTi with the leather loop figuring I have plenty of sport loop bands already (and an old leather band from my AW0). Shipping time is 1-2 weeks.

rMBP2013

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Sydney
I just did the same thing.

I have a Nike AW3 and bought my girlfriend a Nike AW5 and saw a big difference. I ordered the SBTi with the sport loop and then canceled that and ordered the SBTi with the leather loop figuring I have plenty of sport loop bands already (and an old leather band from my AW0). Shipping time is 1-2 weeks.

Excellent!

I also ordered the SB Ti with black leather loop. Note that the Titanium watch also comes with the sweet looking dark grey band.

The best part about Titanium is how understated it looks. If I wear a sport band, no one can tell whether it's aluminum or Titanium. Though I know and that's what matters (to me).

Reactions: MacGarage
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.