Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foxhound357

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2019
SW. Ga.
S5 SBTi with Ti DLC band with black hardware.

applewatch1.jpg
applewatch2.jpg

AJ44

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2019
I have yet to switch bands or even the Edition California watch face with the natural Ti, the light gray sport band that comes with it to me just looks incredible with it.

I change bands for White Ceramic and SBSS all the time.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I know there are a few pics on this thread but I'd love to see more pics from anyone of the natural titanium with Apple link bracelet in various lighting conditions. Its very hard to tell how well they match in so many photos and videos. Some look good, some look bad.

I spent a lot on the link bracelet and would hate to upgrade my stainless S3 to a Series 5 Titanium if the SS is going to look much better with the link bracelet.'

While the link bracelet doesnt match the SS shine it has the same color tone whereas the new Titanium S5 matches the brushed look of the link bracelet but the color is slightly off since Titanium is a warmer hue.

Any other comments from people who have this combo?? Much appreciated !

Decisions Decisions.

Last edited:

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I know there are a few pics on this thread but I'd love to see more pics from anyone of the natural titanium with Apple link bracelet in various lighting conditions. Its very hard to tell how well they match in so many photos and videos. Some look good, some look bad.

I spent a lot on the link bracelet and would hate to upgrade my stainless S3 to a Series 5 Titanium if the SS is going to look much better with the link bracelet.'

While the link bracelet doesnt match the SS shine it has the same color tone whereas the new Titanium S5 matches the brushed look of the link bracelet but the color is slightly off since Titanium is a warmer hue.

Any other comments from people who have this combo?? Much appreciated !

Decisions Decisions.
Is there an Apple store near you? If so, you could take your bracelet there and check it against the display model.

Reactions: ericwn

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Is there an Apple store near you? If so, you could take your bracelet there and check it against the display model.
Most stores don’t stock the titanium but do they actually have them on display even if they don’t Sell them? I believe only the flagship stores actually sell the edition models

JoshCalvetti

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
I believe most stores still have the Edition models, they're just kept in the drawers instead of being on display. But if you ask to see it they should be happy to oblige.

JimmyiPod

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2020
Frisco, tx
Hello all,

I’m new here and trying to sort it all out.

I just got the AW5 Ti and besides Bandwerk I can’t find any other bands with matching Titanium lugs. Can anyone help?

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Hello all,

I just got the AW5 Ti and besides Bandwerk I can’t find any other bands with matching Titanium lugs. Can anyone help?

Even those on their website look really off, they look like grey plastic.

I've seen people with aluminium hardware that have matched quite well.

Reactions: JimmyiPod

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area

I've seen people with aluminium hardware that have matched quite well.
I have the natural titanium and think aluminum lugs and fasteners look good. I have a couple bands from previous Apple watches with aluminum fasteners. I use the Apple sport, sport loop, Milanese loop and leather bands mainly.

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
I finally pulled the trigger on the Black Titanium this afternoon. Or I should say, my wife very kindly got it for me as a birthday present.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Apple's QC has really taken a nose dive in recent years. Last year I had to replace my iPad Pro due to the well documented non-responsive screen issue.

After getting the watch home and excitedly unboxing it, I proceed to attach the included dark gray sports band only to find that the top half doesn't lock into place. It just slid right through the lugs. I try it a couple times to make sure I'm not crazy. Same thing. I try the bottom half of the strap and its the opposite problem. It gets as far as half way in and stops as the locking mechanism juts out too far to go further. I very gently try to nudge it in but no luck. I stop trying as I do not want to risk damaging it and decide to take it back to the store immediately.

I will say this. Apple's customer service is second to none. At least in Hong Kong. I explain my case once and the guy immediately understands, apologizes, and gets a colleague to bring me a replacement. Other than checking my receipt against the watch and testing the bands out himself, there was no hassle whatsoever. I was in and out in well under 10 minutes.

Still, the only reason it wasn't a bigger issue is because I was able to bring it back to the store immediately. Sure, I would have preferred not spending the extra time and money to do so. But what if I had ordered it online in a city where there isn't an Apple Store for an easy return? Or had bought it as a gift? Especially for what is being marketed as a premium product, Apple needs to do better.

Having said all that, I love the Black Titanium. I was agonizing over which model to get for a couple months!

Reactions: rMBP2013

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
Glad to hear that Apple looked after you in providing an immediate replacement. Still, for that sort of money it shouldn't be necessary in the first place.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Apple‘s QC has not gone down one bit. These are industrially mass-produced items, there will always be a very small number of items with one issue or another. Considering the insane amount of gadgets Apple makes and sells every year, the numbers of lemons is actually incredibly small.

And before anyone brings up that example, the butterfly keyboard issue is something else entirely as it has nothing to do with manufacturing QC but is a design flaw.

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
Apple‘s QC has not gone down one bit. These are industrially mass-produced items, there will always be a very small number of items with one issue or another. Considering the insane amount of gadgets Apple makes and sells every year, the numbers of lemons is actually incredibly small.

Perhaps I should have added, "in my experience" which is to say about 30 years as an Apple customer. Nobody is denying that Apple produces and sells a ton of products every year. I would also agree that the number of lemons, percentage wise, is probably very small. But to say QC hasn't gone down one bit is disingenuous. Given the increasing number of products Apple puts out year after year, any reasonable person would expect more lemons. I'm talking about allowing those lemons to get into the hands of customers.
[automerge]1578796896[/automerge]
And before anyone brings up that example, the butterfly keyboard issue is something else entirely as it has nothing to do with manufacturing QC but is a design flaw.

This is arguably even worse. Knowingly putting design flawed products into market. At least with the latest iterations of the MacBook prior to the release of the 16" MBP with the redesigned keyboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: ericwn

Doebldodl

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2004
Germany
Hello all,

I own a AWS Ti and a Bandwerk pure black leather band and the lugs fit and match perfectly.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
I must say I’m severely disappointed in the Ti, mine has a couple of “scratches”, one that runs almost the entire width of the phone. I say it in quotes because they aren’t really scratches but more like the coating came off or something. I can run my nails over it and don’t feel any scratch whatsoever.

I wonder if Apple will exchange it, but then the new one would end up getting scratched eventually. For the record I’m extremely careful with my watch, I think what happens is that when I lightly rest my wrists down on a table to text message the top part of the watch is contacting the table and damaging the coating.

Attachments

• 20200112_133621000_iOS.png
    20200112_133621000_iOS.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 280
Last edited:

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
I must say I’m severely disappointed in the Ti, mine has a couple of “scratches”, one that runs almost the entire width of the phone. I say it in quotes because they aren’t really scratches but more like the coating came off or something. I can run my nails over it and don’t feel any scratch whatsoever.

Solution?

Reactions: spinedoc77

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008

I wonder if Apple will exchange it, but then the new one would end up getting scratched eventually. For the record I’m extremely careful with my watch, I think what happens is that when I lightly rest my wrists down on a table to text message the top part of the watch is contacting the table and damaging the coating.

82a20c7ae80f346c1e7fcf5fdec4e274.png

I doubt Apple will replace the watch and as you stated, even if they did, it will show marks eventually. It seems every model of AW has its characteristic “wear issues”. I gave up worrying about it, as it was causing me to stress out. If the marks become too prevalent, I will replace the watch next year.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

82a20c7ae80f346c1e7fcf5fdec4e274.png

And not to make you feel any worse about the money you spent on this product, but that’s why I wouldn’t opt personal for the natural titanium. Sure, it looks great when it’s unscathed from scratches/scuffs, but without the protection of the DLC, it’s just as vulnerable to scratches as the 316l stainless Apple Watch is.

And just as another example, I almost think the 7000 series aluminum has more durability the natural finish titanium does. That’s why am such a huge proponent of the DLC coating for the space black ST/Ti because you virtually don’t have to worry about any type of damage to the watch.

As for Apple exchanging it, I’d say it’s contingent on a few things: How long have you owned it? It depends on who you talk to at the Apple store and/or do you raise the issue that it shouldn’t scratch this easily.

Reactions: rMBP2013

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009

Yeah I'm considering buying that. From what I understand the Ti has a coating on it and I'm not sure if that pad would just make the coating look worse, it seems like that pad is more for uncoated titanium and my scratches are really at the coat level (I assume). Although the person writing that post seemed to get good results so maybe I'll give it a shot on an inconspicuous area.
[automerge]1578883704[/automerge]
@spinedoc77 the pic isn’t loading for me but I’m interested in seeing. No marks on my near launch TI yet that I wear daily.

Updated with reloaded picture. It's not the greatest picture, getting my iphone to zoom in like that is almost impossible.
[automerge]1578884010[/automerge]
And not to make you feel any worse about the money you spent on this product, but that’s why I wouldn’t opt personal for the natural titanium. Sure, it looks great when it’s unscathed from scratches/scuffs, but without the protection of the DLC, it’s just as vulnerable to scratches as the 316l stainless Apple Watch is.

And just as another example, I almost think the 7000 series aluminum has more durability the natural finish titanium does. That’s why am such a huge proponent of the DLC coating for the space black ST/Ti because you virtually don’t have to worry about any type of damage to the watch.

As for Apple exchanging it, I’d say it’s contingent on a few things: How long have you owned it? It depends on who you talk to at the Apple store and/or do you raise the issue that it shouldn’t scratch this easily.

The issue is that the Ti doesn't look good all scratched up, the scratches really look like shiny spots and don't look like the nice swirled look the silver SS achieves with time. I still have my black SS S3 and it's completely pristine, even after working construction and really beating it.

I don't think I'll bother having it exchanged, I just noticed I'm 4 days out of the holiday exchange season, sigh. I could likely push for a replacement based on durability, but it would just get scratched up again so seems pointless. It's ok I will just avoid the AW6 Ti version next year, lesson learned.
[automerge]1578884109[/automerge]
I received my Titanium watch (natural finish) over a week ago. I upgraded from a SS Series 4. I love the look of the Titanium and have been enjoying the lighter weight without downgrading to the aluminum model with glass screen.

After reading this thread I wanted to test the durability of the natural Titanium finish. In that time I used it in many conditions including moving a family member. During the move my watch sustained several significant scuffs that never would have happened with my SS S4. I was quite disappointed and was planning to return the watch this weekend.

Upon further research I found that this is a common problem with watches that have a natural Titanium finish and that there are products that can be purchased that remove these scratches. I purchased this pad on amazon that purported to refinish titanium watch surfaces (no affiliate link):

I received the pad today. I followed the instructions that came with the pad and I’m happy to report that I am keeping my watch. The scratches are completely gone and the watch looks good as new! So if anyone is on the fence about getting the natural titanium finish just budget for this over priced finishing pad and it will keep your watch looking brand new!

I hope this helps fellow titanium finish enthusiasts!

Has anyone else tried this on a natural finish Ti? Before and after pics would be awesome. Does it disrupt the coating?
[automerge]1578884357[/automerge]
Well on that polishing pad ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015ESCNXY/?coliid=I36GILMK2JO9IS&colid=1P7XVLE0P4LM4&psc=1 ) looks like it may not be a good thing to try. I asked about an AW and the seller responded: "First... it would NOT work on any Ti Watch that is coated... ie the Black Titanium. Second... it would need to be a solid Titanium with a brushed finish. I have never used this on an Apple watch so I don't know if it would work. IF it's COATED DON'T use this. It would make the probelm worse "

So I'm assuming the natural Ti has some sort of coating? Or is it just naked brushed Ti? From Apple's AW page: "For the natural brushed titanium finish, Apple invented a whole new surface treatment that is stain and fingerprint resistant to keep it looking immaculate. "

Last edited:

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Updated with reloaded picture. It's not the greatest picture, getting my iphone to zoom in like that is almost impossible.

Dang, that does look pretty bad. If mine starts looking like that I dunno what I'd do. Maybe some are more prone to this than others? I do pay for the AC+ monthly just in case it gets bad and drives me crazy. I'm almost 4 months in and no marks so far luckily. I only have used sport loops so far, not sure if that could have any impact?

Reactions: spinedoc77
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.