Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
200-600. Sounds heavy and expensive!

Surprisingly, it is not as expensive as one would think, but it is a slow lens....It would be just fine and dandy in an everyday fairly well-lit daylight situation but not one which would involve twilight or darkness well, even when tripod-mounted. The weight is around four pounds, I think -- and, yes, I would have to handle this one in the store on a Sony A7R IV to see if I'd actually be comfortable with it in the real world, and how much I would need to use it on a tripod versus how much I could hand-hold, if I could at all. If it is something which I feel is going to be a tripod-only lens, then I would more than likely reluctantly pass on it. Haven't actually handled one yet so I really don't know. This is not going to be an immediate decision or purchase anyway, as I've got to give the bank account a little break before assaulting it again with lens purchases!

That said, it is becoming increasingly apparent to me that my next, seriously number one priority has got to be a new monitor. My 15" MBP screen is adequate but not really up to the task of dealing with these larger, more detailed files from the A7R IV and the lenses I'm using with it. Methinks this purchase is going to happen sooner rather than later.....

Last edited:

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
An oil painting.
Of horses, of all things.

A subject I wouldn't normally give more than glance, but the first time I saw this painting I was moved. It speaks to me.

We met the artist, and she told us the story behind it, and why she chose to paint it the way she did.

Those are perfect criteria to buy art. If the price is right for you, I hope you buy it.

Reactions: Ntombi and Matz

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
Yay, I'm glad you bought the painting! You and your wife will enjoy it so much displayed in your home!
Thanks! Having gone through the back and forth, and thinking it was just too much, now that it’s here it was absolutely the right thing to do.

Of course, one thing leads to another, and as we suspected, the lighting glare on the one remaining wall in the house that will accommodate a painting of this size, is, to put it mildly, awful. We’re going to change out the offending ceiling fixture, and add a row of track lighting to properly light the painting. A pain to wire, but easily worth the effort.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Awful lot of posts with no pictures - for a pictures forum.
ThisThreadIsWorthless_without_pictures.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Awful lot of posts with no pictures - for a pictures forum. View attachment 881081

Personally, I prefer words.
[automerge]1575640393[/automerge]
Thanks! Having gone through the back and forth, and thinking it was just too much, now that it’s here it was absolutely the right thing to do.

Of course, one thing leads to another, and as we suspected, the lighting glare on the one remaining wall in the house that will accommodate a painting of this size, is, to put it mildly, awful. We’re going to change out the offending ceiling fixture, and add a row of track lighting to properly light the painting. A pain to wire, but easily worth the effort.

Fantastic news; and long may you enjoy that painting.

Reactions: Matz

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
When I bought my 12"2016 MacBook back in 2016 I was faced with the reality of USB-C and the need to have either adapters or a hub or something, so I purchased a couple of adapters straightaway and then assessed my external drive situation and realized that for the ones that needed it, I could buy the appropriate cables that would have the connection the device used on one end plus USB-C on the other end, and that has worked out nicely for me. I still need to use an adapter for when I pull out my external Superdrive, and Apple's adapter works fine with that. I do carry a Satechi adapter with several functions in my travel kit so that in case there is a need to have a USB-A connection or some other function I've got it handy. This all worked well with the 2017 MacBook when I sold the 2016 and got the newer version of that machine.

That eased the transition from USB-A to USB-C for me during the period that I had a machine with USB-A ports as well as the one with USB-C so that when I later bought my 2018 MBP I was good to go, which has all worked out nicely.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
If you're going to have it for a few more years, then get one.
I’m with @dinggus - Go for it. I recently did that with my 2011 Ford Escape company vehicle, and it is a really nice improvement.
Wish I had done it sooner.

So, I did it. I got a Pioneer 4500NEX, with wireless CarPlay (and Android Auto), and I absolutely love it.

I went with wireless specifically because I knew the lightning port wasn’t going to be around for much longer, and I didn’t want to deal with adapters again! Just getting in the car and going, with the phone still in my pocket is amazing, and I really like the way iOS 13 updated CarPlay.

Thanks for the push; I really was getting sick of my brain going back and forth.

We did, today. ?
I’m so glad you bought it! Tightening the belt for a bit for a lifelong pleasure like that is what life’s about, IMO.

Reactions: Matz and Gutwrench

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Garmin Speed sensor. It's not a matter of "if" but "when"... can I hold off until after Christmas.
41WHOJIAyIL._AC_SL1155_.jpg

Of course, I also have been going a little crazy on the stationary trainers lately. I picked up 2 in the past week. In my defense, they were both really good deals and really cheap.

matt3526

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
1576831068529.png

I have an iPad Air 2, 16gb with cellular that has has its day (the 16gb is severely limiting). I would really like an 11 inch iPad Pro 512gb with cellular and an apple pencil 2, but I'm trying to hold off as I know a newer one will come out soon after. I don't need the latest and greatest, but if I buy something with the intention of keeping it for 4 years minimum, then it needs to be the best at the time of purchase.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Another Philips Hue light strip and power supply. Those things aren't bloody cheap either...

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Surprisingly, it is not as expensive as one would think, but it is a slow lens....It would be just fine and dandy in an everyday fairly well-lit daylight situation but not one which would involve twilight or darkness well, even when tripod-mounted. The weight is around four pounds, I think -- and, yes, I would have to handle this one in the store on a Sony A7R IV to see if I'd actually be comfortable with it in the real world, and how much I would need to use it on a tripod versus how much I could hand-hold, if I could at all. If it is something which I feel is going to be a tripod-only lens, then I would more than likely reluctantly pass on it. Haven't actually handled one yet so I really don't know. This is not going to be an immediate decision or purchase anyway, as I've got to give the bank account a little break before assaulting it again with lens purchases!

That said, it is becoming increasingly apparent to me that my next, seriously number one priority has got to be a new monitor. My 15" MBP screen is adequate but not really up to the task of dealing with these larger, more detailed files from the A7R IV and the lenses I'm using with it. Methinks this purchase is going to happen sooner rather than later.....
I'm in the same place. Would like that 200-600 and the pricing isn't bad for what it offers. It's an outdoor lens and the speed would be perfectly fine for normally lit outdoor photos.
I've hand-held the 70-200, 100-400 on several occasions but the 200-600 is almost 2 pounds heavier than the 70-200 which is already close to 3 and a half pounds on it's own.
I use the r2-r3-r4 with the Sony grips so there's already some weight there but another 2 pounds on my left hand may be a bit much. I may go by my local camera shop and walk around hand holding in the shop or rent one to try out for a weekend. Which is what I typical do before dropping 2 grand+ on a lens that I'm not sure of.
I don't like buying and returning much so if renting is an option I take that.

And I understand with those 128MB files. My i9 15" gets all hot n bothered when having to edit them.

pixelatedscraps

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2017
Hong Kong
A 16-core Mac Pro with 32Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD and a single Vega card. Cos I keep remembering that the iMac Pro in my studio is still good enough for many more years yet...

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Trying to not buy all these at once.

4 or 5 128gb SSDs w/ built in garbage collection for my PowerPC macs & a fresh 256gb SSD for MP 1,1 boot drive.

That and a nice new L desk to display them on with space to break out my c64 rig.

Trying not to buy a new 45-55” smart tv for my wife so I can retire my current TV to my mancave for my retro gaming setup.

all in good time I suppose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.