Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Trying not to buy any more ebooks until I finish two library ebooks I just renewed. The problem is that libraries don't (yet) carry anywhere near as many ebooks as ebook vendors do, of course. Trying not to read any more book reviews in the meantime.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
Trying not to buy any more ebooks...

you should try smashwords.com for your ebook needs. They have a selection that is free. the content downloads quite nice on to an iPhone or into a dropbox.

[automerge]1581113902[/automerge]
I am trying not to look at my 99 tacoma work pick up tuck repairs.

this AM the truck did a shut down in the middle of down town Main Street. At the same time the mother of snow storms was raging all around. I called a few towing companies.

than the baby jesus told he to re try the ignition. the 99 tacoma truck started up and ran a few miles, than shut down again. Waiting a few minutes, it ran another short distance, etc, till i was home.

Last edited:

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
you should try smashwords.com for your ebook needs. They have a selection that is free. the content downloads quite nice on to an iPhone or into a dropbox.

thanks, i'll give it a shot.

I am trying not to look at my 99 tacoma work pick up tuck repairs.

this AM the truck did a shut down in the middle of down town Main Street. At the same time the mother of snow storms was raging all around. I called a few towing companies.

than the baby jesus told he to re try the ignition. the 99 tacoma truck started up and ran a few miles, than shut down again. Waiting a few minutes, it ran another short distance, etc, till i was home.

Arrggh... "stupid pet tricks" !!

That's what my darn furnace was doing for a few days back around Christmas, which of course I found inconvenient as it's too cold for such pranks. It was cycling in and igniting fine but then burning gas for only four seconds because of a bad sensor, apparently figuring "well i dunno i think it's too hot now so I'll quit" and then the thermostat says "uh no my man you're not done yet, hello it's like 58 in here." Rinse, repeat with a slooooooow roll towards desired room temp.

I don't like thinking about my furnace, and it's 17 years old warrantied for 10... so I'm probably going to replace the thing in July. It was safe enough to use as it was over the weekend when the tech had to come back Monday w/ the replacement sensor, but it put some extra wear on the blower motor trying to keep up with the stupid thing... and of course it took hours to reach 65º from 58º because at four seconds of burn per "cycle" it barely got the ductwork down cellar (55º or so) even a tad warmer each time before quitting.

Reactions: Gutwrench

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
Yikes I’ve gone on quite the spending spree lately. Got a ten year back pay check so leased a very cheap car, bought a MacBook Pro and Logic Pro x. Bought studio monitor headphones and really high end Sony noise canceling cans and I bought an expensive hand built dream guitar (I’m a professional musician so it can be partially written off) I am now in the market to purchase my first home. Going to look at it Sunday

Reactions: cdcastillo

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
My willpower on items I do not need is terrible..lol

And right now, no question, the Mavic 2 Pro (the one with the 1" sensor Hasselblad camera)

I've been good though, it's STILL priced around $1500-1600, way too much for me. I have the first Mavic, picked it up when the price dropped...but takes terrible grainy photos and video at dawn/dusk. Also, drone flying for me is really limited between Nov - late March, lot of windy days around here in that timeframe - and I simply wont fly in those conditions.

But I'll get the 2 eventually....when the price drops!
[automerge]1582212686[/automerge]
Every time I tell myself I'm not going to buy it, I end up doing so :p
My problem as well. I'll see something I WANT...tell myself I dont need this.
Then I literally obsess over it until I finally give in and get it.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Been looking at one of these a bit lately.

View attachment 587747
There are more expensive lenses out there, but it's still best part of £1200.
Camera lenses....BIG weakness for me.
I caved this time last year and picked up a "less expensive" Sigma 600mm for my Canon, a a gift card from B&H helped though towards this.

Not a fast lens, not the greatest quality of glass OR in dark settings/slow shutter shots, - oh and its so darn heavy!! lol! - But I've been having fun with it during the day/sunset shots...also rising moon pics. Shots I never got in the past :) Messing with a Tamron 2x extender I picked up at a flea market..which shockingly works (gotta use manual focus on the lens though....grabbing pics of the Philly or NYC skyline from 10-20 miles away has been far far more fun than I expected.

Pricy, but I do not regret the purchase!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Camera lenses....BIG weakness for me.
I caved this time last year and picked up a "less expensive" Sigma 600mm for my Canon, a a gift card from B&H helped though towards this.

Not a fast lens, not the greatest quality of glass OR in dark settings/slow shutter shots, - oh and its so darn heavy!! lol! - But I've been having fun with it during the day/sunset shots...also rising moon pics. Shots I never got in the past :) Messing with a Tamron 2x extender I picked up at a flea market..which shockingly works (gotta use manual focus on the lens though....grabbing pics of the Philly or NYC skyline from 10-20 miles away has been far far more fun than I expected.

Pricy, but I do not regret the purchase!
I have the Nikon 2x TC but it doesn’t work with this lens in autofocus. Also it’s hardly ever bright enough at f8! I’ll be honest and say it’s mostly a lens I use at home. But had fun with it.

Reactions: PhillyGuy72

macfrik

Contributor
Mar 21, 2009
Utah
As of right now, the Noctilux 50mm f0.95 for the Leica M System.,Currently happy with 35mm Summilux, But pictures on the web keep luring me into clicking checkout........

Reactions: Apple fanboy

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Mother of god - Tecovas "The Earl" Ropers

Earl_Bourbon_Pair_1200x1200.progressive.jpg

Reactions: Matz and OdT22

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
More old Macs/other old Apple products. After winning an iBook G3 auction I seem to have been bitten by the vintage Apple bug and am trying to resist the urge to buy more stuff. ?

I might actually get around to replacing the optical drive in my G4 though, because that is a long-overdue purchase.

• Love
Reactions: satchmo and LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I'm trying to decide whether to put an SSD into a mid-2012 MBP or just get a newer MBA now that the warranty is finally over on the MBP. I had bought it in 2016 as an Apple refurb and put Apple Care on it so it was covered until late last summer.

The decision tree is compounded by the fact that I accidentally looped a power cable around a vase on a pedestal above my coffee table one day after detaching the cable from the laptop... and brought that vase tumbling down on the kb of the MBP as if it were a 500 pound bomb, completely destroying the L key and its underpinnings and also disabling a raft of adjacent keys which kept their keycaps but not any sense of what they existed for. I've been using the thing with an original magic kb parked on top of the internal kb.​
Just opening the case on an out of warranty machine is expensive so I dunno. Then the drive replacement and the kb replacement.... sounds like the base price of a new laptop almost.​
Another issue is that the SATA in the MBP is 1TB and I probably don't want to spring for a MacBook Air with that size drive but will miss the self-contained portability of so much of my music and video stuff... and the internal optical drive which I do use pretty often to watch DVDs.​
I guess I'll just keep using the MBP the way it is as a Mojave-capable (but slow, jeez) spare, and get a newish MBA as a refurb sometime. That can replace the mid-2010 updated MacBook that is now my spare machine. I've always had two functional laptops in the house and dislike giving that up. I do love using an XR or my iPad Pro for news and magazine apps respectively, but when using a browser I prefer a laptop.​

Anyway I'm resisting just shipping this MBP out to have it spruced up. Waiting to see what the next MBAs are like, and then a little longer since I do always get refurbs from Apple and then put Apple Care on them.

I have all the time in the world to rethink my wait-a-while decision every time I need to reboot the MBP with its slooooooowwwww SATA drive. I can read half the NYT on an iPad while the MBP gets its act together.

Reactions: RogerWilco6502

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
I'm trying to decide whether to put an SSD into a mid-2012 MBP or just get a newer MBA now that the warranty is finally over on the MBP. I had bought it in 2016 as an Apple refurb and put Apple Care on it so it was covered until late last summer.

The decision tree is compounded by the fact that I accidentally looped a power cable around a vase on a pedestal above my coffee table one day after detaching the cable from the laptop... and brought that vase tumbling down on the kb of the MBP as if it were a 500 pound bomb, completely destroying the L key and its underpinnings and also disabling a raft of adjacent keys which kept their keycaps but not any sense of what they existed for. I've been using the thing with an original magic kb parked on top of the internal kb.​
Just opening the case on an out of warranty machine is expensive so I dunno. Then the drive replacement and the kb replacement.... sounds like the base price of a new laptop almost.​
Another issue is that the SATA in the MBP is 1TB and I probably don't want to spring for a MacBook Air with that size drive but will miss the self-contained portability of so much of my music and video stuff... and the internal optical drive which I do use pretty often to watch DVDs.​
I guess I'll just keep using the MBP the way it is as a Mojave-capable (but slow, jeez) spare, and get a newish MBA as a refurb sometime. That can replace the mid-2010 updated MacBook that is now my spare machine. I've always had two functional laptops in the house and dislike giving that up. I do love using an XR or my iPad Pro for news and magazine apps respectively, but when using a browser I prefer a laptop.​

Anyway I'm resisting just shipping this MBP out to have it spruced up. Waiting to see what the next MBAs are like, and then a little longer since I do always get refurbs from Apple and then put Apple Care on them.

I have all the time in the world to rethink my wait-a-while decision every time I need to reboot the MBP with its slooooooowwwww SATA drive. I can read half the NYT on an iPad while the MBP gets its act together.
If I were you I'd get a new laptop AND upgrade the MBP once you have a little spending money so you can speed up the MBP but also get a computer for use as a daily driver that has a functional internal keyboard. :)

Reactions: LizKat

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
If you haven't already done so, sit down and prepare your tax returns (or take the relevant documents to whoever does prepare the taxes for you) and if you're due a refund, that can be the foundation for funding your new machine! (I have found in the past that wanting something new and usually expensive is a good motivator to get me to getting in gear and doing the whole arduous tax prep thing.....especially if I am expecting a refund!). Each year I use that refund to buy myself a treat. This year it will probably be going towards a new lens for my camera, but in other years it has indeed been a computer, an iPad or something else related.

Seriously, I would not put any money into that 2012 MBP, which I think has already been designated as "obsolete" by Apple and which would not be able to use new versions of the OS as they come along..... Might better put the mental energy and the time and the money into something new, or at least new-er, more up-to-date than a 7-or-8-year-old machine.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
If I were you I'd get a new laptop AND upgrade the MBP once you have a little spending money so you can speed up the MBP but also get a computer for use as a daily driver that has a functional internal keyboard. :)

Yep, it's more or less the plan, would be the plan already if the 2010 spare was a clunker with a SATA itself instead of a smooth running machine with maxed out memory and an SSD. It's kind of maddening that it's a speed demon compared to the mid-2012 MBP. Both machines are well behaved so far... outside of the mid-2012 struggling to run Mojave with a big SATA drive. It's just that the mid-2010 has only 256GB drive, so I can end up having to fish a TV series or a movie out of archives if it's not on board when that's the machine at hand and I think "oh i know, I'll watch..."

And then there is the 2010 machine's age. I mean I still have a much older 15" G4 Titanium book that works as a non-connected machine happy to work with some MIDI peripherals. So age itself doesn't mean anything with Apple gear really. But for machines that connect to the net there comes a time when an OS isn't supported any more even for security updates, and then it's time to move on for sure.

I might be able to talk a long time vendor and auth'd apple tech into opening up that 2012 machine for a reasonable price... time will tell. But I'd still definitely want a newer MBA in the wings as my primary machine. Meanwhile I don't like to ship a machine out while the northeast is still in winter mode anyway so I'm not going to talk to the guy about the 2012 MBP until I'm ready to try to strike a deal.

Seriously, I would not put any money into that 2012 MBP, which I think has already been designated as "obsolete" by Apple and which would not be able to use new versions of the OS as they come along..... Might better put the mental energy and the time and the money into something new, or at least new-er, more up-to-date than a 7-or-8-year-old machine.

I know, I know. Somewhere back in time on these boards I was one of the last die-hards refusing to give up a 12" G4 powerbook! And yeah I do already have that obsolescing experience with the mid-2010 MB, even though it's still a fine-running machine.

Still I wouldn't mind having the 2012 become that spare machine once I get a refurb 2019 or 2020 MBA... since the 2012 machine does still have the optical drive in it and Mojave will get security updates for awhile yet. It's not like one even needs a functional hardware kb to point and click to a movie or book, and the virtual kb fills in for simple tasks. But in for a penny, in for a pound so if I get the drive swapped out I'm getting the kb too. I've decided not to buy another car at my age... I always said I'd quit driving before I turned 80 or became one of those geezers I curse at now while driving, so I'm almost there, it's just my final new-to-me car appears to have got there a couple years sooner than I did. Anyway I feel like I can burn a little piece of that dough on my gear instead.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
Yep, it's more or less the plan, would be the plan already if the 2010 spare was a clunker with a SATA itself instead of a smooth running machine with maxed out memory and an SSD. It's kind of maddening that it's a speed demon compared to the mid-2012 MBP. Both machines are well behaved so far... outside of the mid-2012 struggling to run Mojave with a big SATA drive. It's just that the mid-2010 has only 256GB drive, so I can end up having to fish a TV series or a movie out of archives if it's not on board when that's the machine at hand and I think "oh i know, I'll watch..."

And then there is the 2010 machine's age. I mean I still have a much older 15" G4 Titanium book that works as a non-connected machine happy to work with some MIDI peripherals. So age itself doesn't mean anything with Apple gear really. But for machines that connect to the net there comes a time when an OS isn't supported any more even for security updates, and then it's time to move on for sure.

I might be able to talk a long time vendor and auth'd apple tech into opening up that 2012 machine for a reasonable price... time will tell. But I'd still definitely want a newer MBA in the wings as my primary machine. Meanwhile I don't like to ship a machine out while the northeast is still in winter mode anyway so I'm not going to talk to the guy about the 2012 MBP until I'm ready to try to strike a deal.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the age of the 2010 machine (my daily is a 2009 ;)). I wish you the best of luck! :)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core

I know, I know. Somewhere back in time on these boards I was one of the last die-hards refusing to give up a 12" G4 powerbook! And yeah I do already have that obsolescing experience with the mid-2010 MB, even though it's still a fine-running machine.

Still I wouldn't mind having the 2012 become that spare machine once I get a refurb 2019 or 2020 MBA... since the 2012 machine does still have the optical drive in it and Mojave will get security updates for awhile yet. It's not like one even needs a functional hardware kb to point and click to a movie or book, and the virtual kb fills in for simple tasks. But in for a penny, in for a pound so if I get the drive swapped out I'm getting the kb too. I've decided not to buy another car at my age... I always said I'd quit driving before I turned 80 or became one of those geezers I curse at now while driving, so I'm almost there, it's just my final new-to-me car appears to have got there a couple years sooner than I did. Anyway I feel like I can burn a little piece of that dough on my gear instead.

I am about to turn 75 in a few weeks and, yeah, I hear you loud and clear about the car. I LOVE my car that I have had for fourteen years and really see no need to give up, she's running great, although visibly she's starting to show her age a bit, and I really am kind of leery of the new cars with all the new technology in them -- some of which I suspect is actually rather distracting to drivers, safety features notwithstanding, whether or not anyone wants to admit that. On the other hand, yeah, probably I could benefit from some of the safety features, too..... I do know one thing and that is that right now I am nowhere ready to give up driving my own vehicle! I can still see well enough and function mentally well enough to be safe behind the wheel. At this point in time, I am not ready to surrender my driver's license and depend upon others to transport me where I need or want to go...... I love being able to suddenly decide that I want to run down to Microcenter and pick up a package of printer paper or a couple of printer cartridges or an external drive..... I just comb my hair and make sure I look reasonably presentable, grab my car keys and off I go..... SO much more convenient than having to rely on a friend to take me when they can, and less expensive than calling a cab, having them take me there and then wait while I do the needed and then bring me back home....with their meter running the whole time.....

Oops, got kind of sidetracked by the car issue as it is one that keeps poking its way into my brain, too...... Anyway, go for a 2019 or 2020 machine when the time is right, and that should take you through another several years and OS upgrades without any issues!

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Oops, got kind of sidetracked by the car issue as it is one that keeps poking its way into my brain, too...... Anyway, go for a 2019 or 2020 machine when the time is right, and that should take you through another several years and OS upgrades without any issues!

On that sidebar about the car thing... I get that not wanting to ditch the spontaneity, but I do support the local economy this way and in particular a couple guys who plow my driveways, mow my lawns, do odd jobs and run me into any nearby town if I want to go shopping. That way I don't feel like I impinge on time of family in and around the area, and I know it puts at least new shoes for school on the grandkids of the one guy who's pretty short of dough most of the time. It's not quite as good as my old habit of grabbing the keys and heading out the door but the one guy's a phone call away and free most of the time. For longer trips and family visits I do get with other family for the ride and the companionship enroute!

On the MBA, it's a done deal eventually, just a question of which machine to get and when. I want to see the specs on the 2020 first though, or else I'd be getting a refurb 2019 in April or May. But I'm stubborn about that 2012 machine. Thing is built like a tank and I mean to drive it into the ground.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
You are lucky to have an already-trusted resource for rides available and pretty much set in place, a mere phone call away..... Many of us are not that fortunate. Ditto for having family members close by, too, for that matter.....

Definitely the purchase of a new or gently-used/refurb MBA can wait a while, at least until the next announcement from Apple about whatever updates they've done. Enjoy your new machine when that time comes!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Currently a flir thermal camera.

FLIR ONE Pro - iOS - Professional Grade Thermal Camera for Smartphones - with VividIR and MSX Image Enhancement Technology https://www.amazon.sg/dp/B072J49BX7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dRiyEbHAYTF8Y

Looks cool, especially after the video by iJustine. Pricey too. As a teacher, I thought it would be cool to be able to scan all my students at one go, but I know it’s overkill and I have little use for it, but still...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.