Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Imhotep397

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Massive.

One of my clients shifted some of their manufacturing to Mexico, or 'tried' to. On a weekend, they had a portable crane and a massive oversized flatbed truck come over to 'steal' this massive 'machine tool', and they ran into some problems. Workers came in Monday to see the mess, with the crane and truck still there. Apparently they forgot to remove a number of attachments and where all of the power and anchor points were. I'm sure it was embarrassing for management, and the employees were not at all happy. I was called out for an office networking issue, and saw the mess the removal left, finally. I'm sure it was expensive.

Moving fab machinery is not likely to be easy, or inexpensive.

That sounds rough. I still wonder though if gated business communities with only Fab plants and 24/7/365 security would work. Given the Cut in transportation distance it seems like a lot of compensation for external factors might be worth it.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
That sounds rough. I still wonder though if gated business communities with only Fab plants and 24/7/365 security would work. Given the Cut in transportation distance it seems like a lot of compensation for external factors might be worth it.

They were 'actively' trying to hire people to run that machine tool. Up until that Monday. (Oops) People were shocked, and I just laughed. It fit their (lack of) corporate culture. (They were always complaining about costs and how how close to the bone the company was running, kept squeezing employees and vendors (us included) and come to find out the president was making a mid-high six figure salary. They 'fired' us, the owner's son took over all IT support. You can imagine the mess when they sold out to the old owners. Kept us busy trying to get them back working. Oy...) I was told that the machine made it to Mexico, but was sold to recoup costs and because they couldn't get the quality of the process up to customer expectations.

As for the rest, I didn't follow.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
That’s what I find strange, vast majority of people don’t wear an n95…
I don't wear an N95. In fact I don't really wear a mask all that often anymore, only when asked to, on transit or really crowded places. But, I'm willing to accept the risk since I'm triple-vaccinated and not immune-compromised. Most people probably feel the same way.

But if you're at risk, wearing an N95 mask (properly fitted) and avoiding extremely crowded places is the best way to protect yourself.

Reactions: Populus

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
Haha
HAHAHAHAHA
That is a good joke.

They separated babies from their parents and have about 10 nurses looking after 200 of them.
In an extreme case, they even separated a 16 day old newborn from the mother.
Valuing life? For real?
Don’t forget the mobile crematoria for pesky dissenters, I mean covid casualties. Hail Xi!

Reactions: Lcgiv and B4U

Dark_Omen

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2021
Just so it's clear, COVID is not less potent than the flu, it is both more contagious and more deadly. The omicron variant was less deadly, but the new version of omicron appear to have features related to delta, which is pretty bad. COVID has been killing upwards of 20% of the elderly that are infected, depending on the age group. And it's killed over a million Americans in two years, while the flu might kill 50,000 in that time, maybe up to 100,000 in a really, really bad flu year. The false information spread about COVID is why so many people have died, without that things may not have been so bad.

China is taking lockdowns to the extreme, and it's not clear that will save them from the new versions of the virus that are so much more contagious. The Chinese people are getting really ticked off at the lockdowns too, and justifiably since they really are draconian (and nothing at all like what happened here). It could spark more severe unrest in the nation, it's really ripe for major confrontations if the people turn against the government, especially since the government is willing to beat the people down in response. My wife is Chinese, so we are hoping it doesn't come to that.
So you spout about misinformation while spreading misinformation about how the latest variants are more dangerous. Gotcha.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I don't wear an N95. In fact I don't really wear a mask all that often anymore, only when asked to, on transit or really crowded places. But, I'm willing to accept the risk since I'm triple-vaccinated and not immune-compromised. Most people probably feel the same way.

But if you're at risk, wearing an N95 mask (properly fitted) and avoiding extremely crowded places is the best way to protect yourself.
I don’t wear a mask at all, unless required.

Reactions: Canezmd and Lcgiv

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
The root problem is that the chinese vaccine is so ineffective that even though almost everyone got vaccinated with mandate, they basically had no protection and back to where they were 2 years ago. Unless the entire country again getting vaccinated with Pfizer or Moderna this will just be an endless cycle of lockdown. There’s no end in sight.
No, it’s actually very effective.

Shanghai’s daily positive cases were around 2500, and asymptomatic cases were around 25000 a few days ago. So, I’d call that a pretty good day for vaccine efficacy.

On the other hand, HK had Pfizer jabs, and they collapsed entirely.

The reason why mainland China had an outbreak is because Beijing is trying to divert pressure in HK and multiple cities in China are intentionally taking in a massive amount of COVID patients and high risk people. There were mistakes made in the intake process, but at that scale, that’s expected.

sakurarain

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2018
Shanghai
it is a political manner now, rather than a real regulation practice against the virus, it is nothing else than a battle between Xi and his opponents. Xi won't change his mind and has to maintain the regulation, the same as 3 years ago, to show his decision is always correct, which might be the last card for him to win the next term. Therefore he will not compromise on this point, until he is 100% to get his 3rd. term (only a few months until next big party congress.).

Reactions: Lcgiv

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
I call BS on that claim. Sorry. I agree it takes decades to build a health infrastructure ... which China has sorely neglected. But training an ICU staff (assuming there are educated and capable doctors, which I know there are) takes a matter of weeks.

China needs its draconian lock down policy because because of the poor state of its healthcare system, caused by decades of neglect. Over loading the healthcare system would likely cause as many, if not more, deaths than the virus itself. This reality could very well threaten the social order and, ultimately, the CCP itself.

So, in my opinion, the lockdown policy in China is more about the CCP's fear of losing control than it is about public health.

You can train a doctor to work in ICU in a few weeks, but China doesn’t have enough doctors that can be diverted, because they are needed elsewhere.

What do you mean CCP losing control? CPC is the Chinese government, which has wayyy higher support rate than the US government… People will not blame the government for that, they blame the situation. The government is doing everything they can, moving heaven and earth. People are calling for more state and military intervention so that cargos can be distributed faster and PCR can be done faster, and more infected people can be diverted to neighbouring cities for quarantine.

The problem during the early days in Shanghai is that the suspicious outbreak suddenly maxed out the local response capacity, and the federal government was not called in immediately for help. The decision loop takes a few days, and that is unfortunate.

• Haha
Reactions: Queen6 and Lcgiv

Keymaster

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2003
So you spout about misinformation while spreading misinformation about how the latest variants are more dangerous. Gotcha.

Let's look at what I said again: "The omicron variant was less deadly, but the new version of omicron appear to have features related to delta, which is pretty bad." The new variants of omicron appear to be more dangerous that the first variant of it, and appear to have features of delta, which was a very dangerous variant. All true, all backed up with current research, though it is early still in the omicron variants so they may end up being more, or less, deadly than they are now once they have swept through enough people.

So, no misinformation there, everything I said is backed up by current science. And, I didn't even say what you portrayed me as saying...if you have to twist someone's words then you don't have a valid point to discuss and are just trying to lie your way into winning the argument. It's bad form. And, again, the current science says the new versions of omicron are more dangerous that the first version of it, both in transmissibility, vaccine evasion, and deadliness.

If you have actual evidence to contradict these points, go ahead and lay it out, it's always possible I have missed a study that has gotten into more detail of the omicron variants. If you're just going to lie about what I said and throw cheap shots, then don't waste our time, you're just spouting what you want to believe instead of the science.

• Haha
Reactions: alien3dx

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
This is even more reason for Apple to set up more global production centres. Added to the fact that China haven’t condemned the war in Ukraine.

I know they’ve moved some lines to India, wider backup like this is much needed. The overall plan should be to move out of China for good. China will be next claiming territory after they have seen Russia try this.

Reactions: B4U

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
This whole thing stinks. Why is China only now since the very beginning of the pandemic are they implementing such strict measures? Does it have to do something with the Russian war? Creating global chaos to take the heat off Russia?
There is no need for a complex conspiracy theory. It is very simple.
It is no secret that US always applying pressure on China in order to get China to do what US wants. And in response China always finds a subtle way to say: "Back off Mary Poppins, you are working on my last nerve!"

kahkityoong

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Meanwhile they are euthanizing people's pets without consent and the police is being violent towards those who protest.

No. Freaking. Thanks.
Sounds a hell of a lot better than another s-hole country whose outgoing leader refused to accept an election result and then conspired to get his cultish followers to overturn the result.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
Omicron may be more transmissible but it's far weaker and far less dangerous , lockdowns don't work that's been proven in countless studies , unfortunately most governments don't think things through properly as they're too busy fiddling their expenses , having illegal parties to care etc

Futurix

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2011
Strasbourg, France
Sounds a hell of a lot better than another s-hole country whose outgoing leader refused to accept an election result and then conspired to get his cultish followers to overturn the result.
Except that outgoing leader didn’t succeed and a new one successfully took power. Meanwhile in China there are no real elections and no ability to effect change.

• Love
Reactions: B4U and kahkityoong

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Omicron may be more transmissible but it's far weaker and far less dangerous , lockdowns don't work that's been proven in countless studies , unfortunately most governments don't think things through properly as they're too busy fiddling their expenses , having illegal parties to care etc
Because in reality, all the governments around the world want to be like the Chinese government, having total control over their people. That's why in the beginning of the pandemic, even western democracies were praising the Chinese lockdowns and how they should follow suit.

Dumb and dumber.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Because in reality, all the governments around the world want to be like the Chinese government, having total control over their people. That's why in the beginning of the pandemic, even western democracies were praising the Chinese lockdowns and how they should follow suit.

Dumb and dumber.
No surprises here as "1984" is not about Russia or China.
So the actions of the western democracies are just as predictable as reduction in level of life in the near future(disappearing middle class). For the last 8 years Ukraine was used as a polygon for trying out a certain models and mechanisms of managing a society in this "new" reality.

Reactions: George Dawes

hagar

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008

Dumb and dumber.
That’s definitely untrue. Not all governments around the world aspire to be authoritarian regimes led by pseudo communist parties that fully embrace capitalism.

As soon as feasible, all western countries lifted lockdown measures. There is zero proof for your conspiracy view that all these governments worldwide were planning a coup.

Clearly, there are plenty of people walking around that want to install an authoritarian regime and overthrow elections. And if such people are in office, you have a big problem. The main thing you can do, is vote wisely.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Apple's continued heavy involvement and reliance on China is becoming untenable. It has "kowtowed" to the CCP while pushing back on other matters against its own government. This is beginning to receive serious scrutiny and I think Apple should reevaluate its priorities immediately for the sake of its own business if not over concerns for human rights and individual liberty. The risks of Apple's continued allegiance and dependence on a rogue regime such as the CCP continues to grow by the day.

Don’t think China is forcing apple to sideload. So I agree with the way apple is handling its affairs.

Reactions: kahkityoong
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.