Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrkevinfinnerty

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2022
If someone is a "self made" of anything, they did it with their own hands, with no funding or help from anyone. Musk had a group of venture capitalists start him out, plus a 5-figure check from his dad. That does not make anyone self made.

So your definition of 'self made' is someone who has built a huge business with no outside financing at all?

Not so very many of those are there...

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
So your definition of 'self made' is someone who has built a huge business with no outside financing at all?

Not so very many of those are there...

You're only looking at his latest companies. If he were self-made, one has to look back at ALL of his business ventures. Based on that, he received outside financing for his business ventures, which leads to the claim of being "self made" to be rather dubious.

Angel investors providing capital, along with around $20000 from his father does not make him "self made".

BL.

Reactions: tmmacops

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
To be fair. Most people don’t know what left v right actually means and liberal v conservative. To know what it means, you need to know the history of it.

Maybe but it always seem especially egregious with right-wingers because they always co-opt these kinds of terms so they can label things they hate or are fearful of. Always seems to be the primary motivation for right-wingers and it gets very tiresome.

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
It's certainly interesting to see how the goal posts of "free speech" keep being moved, currently. Saying one thing one day and doing another a different day. Almost like you can't have it both way and it never had actually really been about restoring "free speech" to begin with... who'd have thunk.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Yay, free speech! Let’s all keep arguing to keep more of this on Twitter.

1670012090512.png

Reactions: SteveJawbs

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Yay, free speech! Let’s all keep arguing to keep more of this on Twitter.

View attachment 2122492
Gee, I sure am surprised at all the advertisers moving away from the platform. Who wouldn’t want to be associated with this?

/s

The free speech absolutists have gotten conspicuously quiet after West made his pro-Nazi/Hitler remarks and Musk subsequently banned him.

AgentOSX

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2017
Hollywood
Here you go. Hate speech essentially incorporates it all, but the use of n word and anti-semitic posts all over the site are your examples. The anti-LGBTQ posts, covering as "anti-grooming" are particularly disgusting as well. All of it just diminishes other people. I understand why Apple wouldn't want to be a part of that. I guess the real question is why some people want to allow it.

Abusive or threatening speech or writing that expresses prejudice against a particular group, especially on the basis of race, religion, or sexual orientation.
Anti-grooming is not anti-gay.

Anti-grooming is anti-grooming.

Being angry at California's law that made statutory rape legal as long as the people are separated by 10 years or less is most definitely anti-grooming, not anti-gay.

Reactions: Ac1d 8urn

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
So I go back on Twitter last night to see how it’s going and I see Musk has brought back even more of the worst, most vile neo-Nazi’s imaginable. People who were rightly and appropriately banned for repeatedly calling for genocide and other horrible things. These are the kind of people Musk seems to pal around with and agree with on a lot of issues surmise surprise.

Then I see he’s being made fun of because he was whining like a toddler in yet another tweet of his, and I joined in and called him a crybaby and about an hour later my Twitter app locked up and I get a notice saying my account has been permanently suspended. No reason given.

So much for “free speech”, as I and many other predicted, Elons version of free speech means turning Twitter into a mix of 4chan and Stormfront.

As he reveals more of his alt-reich beliefs, I really hope Apple and others don’t keep advertising there. It’s crystal clear what his intentions are, his actions speak volumes.

Proves once again money can’t buy class, or anything else but stuff.

Reactions: bobcomer

PBMB

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2015
Then I see he’s being made fun of because he was whining like a toddler in yet another tweet of his, and I joined in and called him a crybaby and about an hour later my Twitter app locked up and I get a notice saying my account has been permanently suspended. No reason given.

So much for “free speech”, as I and many other predicted, Elons version of free speech means turning Twitter into a mix of 4chan and Stormfront.
No surprise here; all these are manifestations of his disability (in the autism spectrum) combined with his own idiosyncrasy. I am wondering why people still react to what this man does or says. It leaves me glacially indifferent. He may be good or brilliant at doing business in general, but here we talk about socialization. People could just leave en masse and let the platform become a pariah or be totally shutdown.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012

Being angry at California's law that made statutory rape legal as long as the people are separated by 10 years or less is most definitely anti-grooming, not anti-gay.
Groomers are ****ing degenerates and vile as are their apologists. People want to hurls isms, phob etc to try and silence people who voice out on some things

Reactions: Ac1d 8urn

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
The problem that is being shown here is that you - along with everyone else who finds * Lives Matter offensive - is that you assume that <insert color here> Lives Matter means ONLY <insert color here> Lives Matter. That assumption to assume that is wrong on your part, and risky at that, because it also serves to show how close minded one can be regarding <insert color here> Lives Matter.

Additionally, when it comes to the intent behind it, you see where one is having a major problem, while some of the other tends to show bias and hate. Yet you want to put the "left wing ideology company" on blast while not looking at the other movement's motives.

BL.

You just made his point and undermined your own.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA

What you mention regarding California law is not accurate, or true. See link below.

My issue with the term "grooming" is now it is being applied to any situation deemed to fit a certain agenda. For example, a drag show is considered grooming, a teacher being gay is considered grooming, displaying a rainbow flag is considered grooming. It's hate speech disguised as a legitimate gripe. It really all started with the Qanon junk that has now permeated its way to the top of a major political party in America. In their eyes, gay people don't deserve rights. It's disgusting and anti-American. People can believe in Christianity and their "sanctity of marriage", etc. without shoving their beliefs into our government, where we are supposed to have a separation of church and state.

Prior to 2020, California law permitted judges to decide if a man should be registered as a sex offender if they had voluntary vaginal intercourse with a 14–17-year-old girl, but only if he was no more than 10 years older than her.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
What you mention regarding California law is not accurate, or true. See link below.

My issue with the term "grooming" is now it is being applied to any situation deemed to fit a certain agenda. For example, a drag show is considered grooming, a teacher being gay is considered grooming, displaying a rainbow flag is considered grooming. It's hate speech disguised as a legitimate gripe. It really all started with the Qanon junk that has now permeated its way to the top of a major political party in America. In their eyes, gay people don't deserve rights. It's disgusting and anti-American. People can believe in Christianity and their "sanctity of marriage", etc. without shoving their beliefs into our government, where we are supposed to have a separation of church and state.

Prior to 2020, California law permitted judges to decide if a man should be registered as a sex offender if they had voluntary vaginal intercourse with a 14–17-year-old girl, but only if he was no more than 10 years older than her.

What I don’t get is why (some) LGBT people try SO hard to be seen. Rainbow flags, saying “hey I’m gay!”, telling everyone, wearing a shirt that says “I’m gay”.

Like, who cares! What’s the point of heavily advertising your sexuality?

I’m bi-sexual you don’t see me waving any flag or constantly telling everyone.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
What I don’t get is why (some) LGBT people try SO hard to be seen. Rainbow flags, saying “hey I’m gay!”, telling everyone, wearing a shirt that says “I’m gay”.

Like, who cares! What’s the point of heavily advertising your sexuality?

I’m bi-sexual you don’t see me waving any flag or constantly telling everyone.
That's something I can't answer as it comes down to the individual. I could understand being marginalized your whole life though and wanting to push back on that. I think that's natural.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
You just made his point and undermined your own.

No. I hadn't. The opposition's side has always assumed that BLM is all exclusive, because they cry back with "blue lives matter!" or "All lives Matter!", when those people crying that out have no idea about the purpose of BLM, and are only going off based on what they hear from their own echo chamber. If They knew what the purpose of BLM was, they would know that their rebuttals and responses to it are bogus.

Just like the response above.

BL.

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
No. I hadn't. The opposition's side has always assumed that BLM is all exclusive, because they cry back with "blue lives matter!" or "All lives Matter!", when those people crying that out have no idea about the purpose of BLM, and are only going off based on what they hear from their own echo chamber. If They knew what the purpose of BLM was, they would know that their rebuttals and responses to it are bogus.

Just like the response above.

BL.

Is White Lives Matter exclusive?

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Out of context, no, it's not. But in practice, it's primarily used to promote white supremacist ideology.
Anything the ADL says is junk. Bunch of boomers who have no clue on the pulse of reality. According to them, pepe is a hate symbol!

Pepe is used even on Anime, pro-LGBT servers, even BLM severs. Yet it’s a hate symbol, apparently they are the only one who thinks this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.