Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I would because tomorrow is the official polished version a GM is the final beta which means its final testing before the retail release
[doublepost=1537754922][/doublepost]
but if you stay in the beta program you will be able to test the beta of 10.14.1 and so on
I guess I'll stay where I am. Things are good. I was worried earlier how I was going to back up my phone, but I did that without connecting my phone to my MBP. Though, if I were to sell or trade in my MBP somewhere down the line, is there any sort of added benefit for being enrolled in the BETA program?

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I have dealt with everything just fine until sometime yesterday things were acting strange and right now I am guessing everything is "normal" in terms of being in the BETA. What does this mean:
Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 9.21.57 AM.png

I shut down my MBP for a few minutes and turned it back on, and the software updater was able to function correctly. So maybe the extreme slowness was just a BETA glitch. Safari wasn't even working right with has me wondering if I really do need a backup browser. I don't like Opera and prefer not to use it, do you have any suggestions? Thank you.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Check proxies if you have connection problems, just to make sure that nothing in proxies has changed.
I doubt that proxies will change by itself, but it's just something to cross off your list for troubleshooting, if you have connection issues.
If you don't use proxies (and you would know that), then you should seldom "need" to check that tab, other than an occasional quick "verify clear", when you might be checking on your other network settings.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Check proxies if you have connection problems, just to make sure that nothing in proxies has changed.
I doubt that proxies will change by itself, but it's just something to cross off your list for troubleshooting, if you have connection issues.
If you don't use proxies (and you would know that), then you should seldom "need" to check that tab, other than an occasional quick "verify clear", when you might be checking on your other network settings.
Thank you, maybe I'll include that in my monthly routine when I back-up my MBP to Time Machine.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I just dowloaded the Safari Technology Preview app and quite honestly, it's working a million times better than Safari has been lately. Would it be wise to just forget about the original Safari and use the STP app for all internet viewing?

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Does this happen often? Don't worry, I think I have things alright. I had a bit of trouble this afternoon and I thought I wouldn't be back on my MBP tonight, however within a few hours things seem back to normal for being enrolled in the BETA program....
Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 11.05.59 AM.png

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you prefer to back out of the beta program, just click on the "Details" link, and choose to "Restore Defaults", then you can return to the normal Mojave release by booting to your Mojave installer, and reinstalling. You'll be back on 10.14.3 within 45 minutes
(Just a suggestion...)

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I know, I just look at this as a "hiccup" in getting used to the BETA. It's the first real problem that really had me stumped but I talked with two :apple: tech support members. (The first person I spoke to only was able to get me so far in fixing things.... It wasn't two different problems.) The picture in my previous post was a screen shot I took before I called :apple: tech support.

I commented that my MBP is "kind of" old, but she said that there were Macs that have hit past ten years.... Mine is 6.2 years old and my original battery is at 89% health. (I love the fact that my battery is this good. I said "kind of" because someone I know who has been helping me when they can say it's old.)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Even though I've been using computers for years and feel fairly comfortable doing most things, including in the long-ago past digging around in the Windows Registry as well as tinkering with both hardware and software, and although I've done a few things from time to time in Terminal on my Macs, one thing I have never done nor been interested in doing is participating in any Beta program. No, thanks! To me that is just too risky, and I am not comfortable with the whole thing. It's taking some serious chances, especially if the user has only one computer. I'd rather let real techies and others who know what they're doing deal with the Beta testing, identify and figure out the problems and weirdnesses that pop up, get the bugs ironed out, and only when the new software is deemed ready for Prime Time, will I download and install it then. That's just me, though....

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I only joined the BETA program to get a "head start" in learning the new software so when my mom updates her iPad if she has questions, I could help.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I thought you were in the Beta program for MacOS -- that is different than iOS, or are you involved in both? Just as with beta testing for MacOS I stay far, fr away from beta testing in iOS, too, even though I have several iOS devices. I guess I'm just risk-averse in general. Aside from that I really don't want to spend extra time experimenting with betas, as I have other projects to do. As far as getting a "head start" in learning a new version of either MacOS or iOS, since very often during the beta phase, things change and so some feature or function that is mentioned early-on may be discarded or undergo significant changes prior to the finalized product -- so it seems to me that one could wind up being confused during this process. I am perfectly content to wait until the software is reasonably safe from unexpected changes, the program crashing or doing untoward things. Actually, I also benefit from reading the usual reviews and comments that come out along with a new version, and those neatly summarize the new features and functionality so that I know what to look for if it is not immediately obvious, and usually sites such as MacWorld will provide tips for implementing something new, too. I usually also wait a day or so before downloading and installing a new version of MacOS or iOS or even the less major n-between software updates, as there have been times that things HAVE gone wrong. I wait, check MR to see if any glitches are being reported and then only after that do I update my devices and computers. Works for me....

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
That's what I thought..... That actually is quite different than the beta program for iOS..... Although they do seem to be gradually converging in some ways, at this point MacOS and iOS are still distinctly separate programs, so working with the Beta in MacOS isn't going to be much help when it comes to someone dealing with situations they may have with their iOS device(s).

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I think I'm going to be OK if I remember to clean out the proxies every night.... I couldn't get on the internet this morning again, but I remembered an article I saved to my phone yesterday and VOILA! Problem solved. I may have mentioned that I might get a MBA soon, I think I might have added more time with my MBP. Which is fine with me if I got all my problems with it lately figured out and what to do to prevent them. My MBP with the original battery is currently at 89% capacity right now.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Why would it be necessary to "clean out the proxies every night"? That seems rather excessive to me. In all the years I've used computers, I have never needed to do anything with the proxies and IMHO it is safer to just leave that kind of thing alone, especially if one isn't sure about what one is doing. That said, yes, it is likely that there are some issues going on with your computer since it is an older one now. Battery life one way or the other isn't indicative of possible other internal issues that might be occurring "under the hood."

It does seem as though it's time to be seriously thinking of a new machine and an MBA would undoubtedly be just right for you! :)

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I thought cleaning out the proxies nightly might save me the headache of not being able to get on the internet when I want to use the internet the next day.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Since I don't know that much about proxies one way or the other -- thankfully never needed to learn -- I really can't say whether or not this is helpful, but my guess is that there may be something else going on if you are having issues connecting with the internet. Do the computers and devices belonging to other people in the household also experience connectivity problems or are they connecting without issues? What about your iPhone? Is it working on both WiFi and cellular or is it at times not on WiFi and instead just using cellular only? If others in the household are having problems, too, it may be something you need to discuss with your ISP. If everyone else in the household is not experiencing any issues, connects to the internet easily, and it is just you experiencing difficulties, and especially if your iPhone is also working just fine on WiFi, then this suggests an issue with your particular computer. It could be due to any number of factors and again it might be a good idea to speak with someone at the ISP about it. If some critical element in the computer is failing, which is then affecting internet connectivity, I would think that one of the first things to look at would be the Airport (WiFi) card; maybe it needs replacement. Beyond that, it could be any number of things and probably having someone at the Apple store run diagnostics on the computer might help, but even then they might not be able to accurately pinpoint the problem. The machine is getting older and, yes, things are going to start failing.

Good luck and I hope you can figure out what is happening so that you can resolve it!

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
You know what's weird, I just tried to go to the internet a few minutes ago, I got on, but it was so slow and the pie piece just before the day and time on the top right corner was missing a bar. I checked it and it wasn't even my network that I use every day unless I am not home. I don't know if it was from me trying to figure out a connection problem and I just forgot about it or my MBP did that on its own. So, maybe that also has some play with my internet connection problems... :confused::rolleyes:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Ah, yes, it is good to be sure you are actually using your own home network! I am in a multi-family dwelling (condo apartment building) and I have my network locked against intrusion by others and also my computers and other devices are all automatically set to access my own home network first.

A question has just occurred to me: don't you have your computer set up so that when you turn it on it automatically connects to the internet anyway? There shouldn't be any effort to "go to the internet," it should be an automatic process that when you first turn it on, your computer connects to your ISP/the internet and then when you're ready to look at your email or to go to a website it just goes wherever is you want to go..... For example, when I first turn on my computer in the morning the machine boots up (usually I'm in the kitchen making my coffee and pouring my orange juice) and when I come back to the computer it is ready to go where I want to go, do what I want to do. I usually check my email first and then I move into checking and participating in my various forums, including this one.

Very rarely there have been issues with going online and I usually notice those pretty promptly when I've booted up the machine and then gone to check my email. Ah, if there is oddly no new mail showing up or when the expected page via a bookmark that I have clicked doesn't open..... I see that there is a problem. Also if Safari in general doesn't open with my usual Apple News page. Sometimes a reboot is all that is needed, maybe something just went glitchy during the original boot up. I glance at the router to see if the light is green, meaning all is well. If not, time to move to the next step. Sometimes I reboot not just the computer but also the router and the modem in case that is the problem. At other times (more common) it is an issue with the ISP, especially if we are having bad weather. No matter what I do on my end it is not going to help until the ISP resolves the problem at their end. Checking my iPhone or iPad will verify that the issue is widespread, not just limited to my computer. It is frustrating and annoying when this happens but since I have cellular data on my iPhone and also on the iPad, I can still get online anyway. So for me, first line of attack is to reboot the computer, and if that does not work I check both the router and the modem and reboot them as well. If it is clear that weather conditions might be causing issues with the ISP I don't worry a whole lot about it and know that my connection with the internet will be restored eventually......

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Ah, yes, it is good to be sure you are actually using your own home network! I am in a multi-family dwelling (condo apartment building) and I have my network locked against intrusion by others and also my computers and other devices are all automatically set to access my own home network first.
Yes, they are. Who knows if I had a spell and absentmindedly switched things. (I suffer some kind of seizure activity....)

A question has just occurred to me: don't you have your computer set up so that when you turn it on it automatically connects to the internet anyway? There shouldn't be any effort to "go to the internet," it should be an automatic process that when you first turn it on, your computer connects to your ISP/the internet and then when you're ready to look at your email or to go to a website it just goes wherever is you want to go..... For example, when I first turn on my computer in the morning the machine boots up (usually I'm in the kitchen making my coffee and pouring my orange juice) and when I come back to the computer it is ready to go where I want to go, do what I want to do. I usually check my email first and then I move into checking and participating in my various forums, including this one.
Yep, it's connected always. Unless we have to turn off the internet because of a bad storm. (To avoid frying to router.... again.)

Very rarely there have been issues with going online and I usually notice those pretty promptly when I've booted up the machine and then gone to check my email. Ah, if there is oddly no new mail showing up or when the expected page via a bookmark that I have clicked doesn't open..... I see that there is a problem. Also if Safari in general doesn't open with my usual Apple News page. Sometimes a reboot is all that is needed, maybe something just went glitchy during the original boot up. I glance at the router to see if the light is green, meaning all is well. If not, time to move to the next step. Sometimes I reboot not just the computer but also the router and the modem in case that is the problem. At other times (more common) it is an issue with the ISP, especially if we are having bad weather. No matter what I do on my end it is not going to help until the ISP resolves the problem at their end. Checking my iPhone or iPad will verify that the issue is widespread, not just limited to my computer. It is frustrating and annoying when this happens but since I have cellular data on my iPhone and also on the iPad, I can still get online anyway. So for me, first line of attack is to reboot the computer, and if that does not work I check both the router and the modem and reboot them as well. If it is clear that weather conditions might be causing issues with the ISP I don't worry a whole lot about it and know that my connection with the internet will be restored eventually......
Yes, we have to reboot the router every now and then because nothing works.

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
I only joined the BETA program to get a "head start" in learning the new software so when my mom updates her iPad if she has questions, I could help.

I well appreciate your intent. But personally I would not go through the possible pain of beta program participation for that reason. I would suggest to delay big updates until shown to be stable and time to understand what has changed.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Though on the upside, if she has the same problem I have been having (connecting to safari or another browser) I know what to do to get her back up. Though, I do have one question that I just don't understand but it's easy to fix, why do I always have to go back to my network for the internet. I mean when I turn on my MBP in the morning, and I notice that the "pie piece" isn't full, I'll go over to it and see what networks are available, and yep, mine isn't chosen as the one to get into to use the internet.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
On your MBP, in Settings, go to Networks

Network Name (be sure your network name shows in the box)
-- Under that, put a checkmark in the box that says "Automatically join this network"

Further down there is a box that says "Ask to Join New Networks." If you don't usually take your laptop out of the house and to other places, don't checkmark this. Obviously if someone travels a lot with their laptop they will want this checkmarked.

This is how I have my main machine set up, as it doesn't leave he house. My 12" MacBook, which does travel with me, is set up the same way with the exception of the last item, and I have it set to "ask to join new networks" for convenience when in hotels and such.

On the iPad, under Wi-Fi, there is the option to "Ask to Join Networks." Again, since this is a device which often leaves the house I have the button for that turned on so that when I'm out somewhere with it I can see what networks are available to join. However, the minute I walk in the door at home my iPad automatically rejoins my own network.

Hope that helps.....

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I think it will, as for the iPad. I won't/don't know, it's not mine. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.