Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mfrank29

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2017
I am hoping this can be addressed with a software update but my 14Pros pictures were much sharper and clearer. My 15Pro is definitely blurry and way more noisy than my 14Pro ever was.
I have do more testing, but my 14 pro max over sharpened photos way too much. I preferred the 13 pro max to it.

Reactions: mavere

mfrank29

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2017
Ok a note on the Always on Display. It seems to be low ambient light that causes the 15 pro max to turn off...both for the always on Lock Screen and the Standby. Sitting on a wireless charging base next to me now, if lights are on, lock screen stays on. When I turn off the lights to watch a movie...always on turns off. This matches the behavior of Standby at night.

14 Pro max in the same room, Lock Screen stays on. Standby turns off the same as the 15 pro max though.

Both running iOS 17, so it seems Apple has done something different with the Always on programming for the 15 pro series and I really hope they fix it. I watch a lot of movies in a dark room and now my new phone will not stay on.

MikeyMacintosh

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2012
California
There is another durability test video out on YouTube as well ( I think the guy is in India and not U.S based) but the pro max back glass doesn't break in his bend test. So I think it varies.

About the 11:11 minute mark. Phone doesn’t crack whatsoever, and you can tell he’s applying a good amount of force on it from both sides. Wonder what was the root cause to Jerry Rig’s snap.

Andy_in_Colorado

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2023
So far (24 hours), no issues at all with my 15 Pro Max. I went from the 12 Pro Max, trying to keep myself to 3 year upgrade cycles. I've looked for some of the screen issues and can't discern any. It did take me a couple tries to get my phone number to successfully move over, but I'll chalk that up to AT&T being overwhelmed at the time, or just some little glitch. Second attempt worked no problem, so whatever.

White Titanium, 256G

ibuyufo

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
I'm noticing that the 5G modem on the note s23 ultra seems to get better signal than the iphone 15 pro max. Right now side by side, the S23 show 4 out of 5 bars on 5G UC, while the iphone pro max has 5G with only 2 bars.

mfrank29

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2017

About the 11:11 minute mark. Phone doesn’t crack whatsoever, and you can tell he’s applying a good amount of force on it from both sides. Wonder what was the root cause to Jerry Rig’s snap.
Weaker hands?😅 Don't know but I hope that was a freak thing. The drops test haven't been encouraging. But being easily able to bend/crack it with the number of people I see shove their iPhones in the back pocket.....:eek:

Reactions: -Gonzo-

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
Weaker hands?😅 Don't know but I hope that was a freak thing. The drops test haven't been encouraging. But being easily able to bend/crack it with the number of people I see shove their iPhones in the back pocket.....:eek:

The drop tests haven't freaked me out. While the 15 pro max can't take an extreme beating like the 14 pro max can, it still did well enough given the materials. For the most part, the 15 Pro Max can take a beating and still work, it's just the physical phone body will have cracks and noticeable damage.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I've been on the phone for two hours with my Pro via iPods and it's very hot to the touch and won't charge via MagSafe. its not losing battery, but won't out charge its usage. iCloud Photos backup also paused saying the phone needs to cool down.

hly

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2023
My 15 Pro Max won't connect to my 5ghz wifi. Here's a thread I created in the Help and Troubleshooting forum. Others on Reddit are having the same issues here and here. Hoping this is widespread enough for media attention and a prompt fix.

mavere

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2007
I am hoping this can be addressed with a software update but my 14Pros pictures were much sharper and clearer. My 15Pro is definitely blurry and way more noisy than my 14Pro ever was.
No no no, inject the camera noise directly into my veins. God save me from the overprocessed mess of the 14 series.

Maybe one day they'll have "crunchiness" as a Photographic Style setting so we can pick how natural or unnatural we want the photo to be.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Heard it several times now... Maybe because of the new material? Or I think it's the new chip inside...

no idea. it didn't even get this hot earlier when it was charging and restoring from iCloud. I hard rebooted and its cooling down. I've only been using it for a few hours now so who knows.

t1m1t

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2011
My wife and I have 15 Pro Max iPhones. When I hold the Action button on mine, the screen turns on and it goes into silent mode (or out). When I hold my wife's iPhone's Action button, the screen stays off but it still goes into silent mode (or out). Why doesn't her screen turn on...? All settings are the same...

hly

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2023
My wife and I have 15 Pro Max iPhones. When I hold the Action button on mine, the screen turns on and it goes into silent mode (or out). When I hold my wife's iPhone's Action button, the screen stays off but it still goes into silent mode (or out). Why doesn't her screen turn on...? All settings are the same...
Always On Display settings are the same?

Reactions: t1m1t

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia

It’s also disappointing a U.S tech YouTuber couldn’t have did this test as an alternative to Jerry’s video. Since this YouTuber is not U.S based or has a large following, this will get ignored in favor of Jerry’s video.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
for that phone, that was the chassis bending…pressing your thumbs on the back of the phone with force could break glass…sitting your your pocket makes this happening highly unlikely…
Unless you have buns of steel.. mwahaha.. I couldn't resist.

• Haha
Reactions: dms_91

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
It’s also disappointing a U.S tech YouTuber couldn’t have did this test as an alternative to Jerry’s video. Since this YouTuber is not U.S based or has a large following, this will get ignored in favor of Jerry’s video.
This will get ignored because it doesn’t create a better headline, the anti Apple brigade will have a field day with the other one.
This one just spoils that narrative.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Ok so with regards to always on using Standby while on the charger this is what I’ve found overnight with my 15 Pro Max.
Under ambient light the clock turns a red tint and stays on, during using Sleep Focus the display turns off after around 20 seconds.
If the phone notices any movement nearby like if you lift up your head from the pillow the display turns back on again showing the red tinted clock.
Once Sleep Focus has been disabled the display remains on.

mouzouris

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2020
After doing my transfer from my 14PM over to my 15PM. I noticed a darker area on the side. I went into my bathroom because it has better lighting than my bedroom. I saw the weird random box and then two minutes later it was gone. Shown in photo timestamps too. First picture at 9:23pm, second at 9:25pm

Could it have been because the phone was warmer after transferring? Causing the area to appear? Anyone know much about the build of the phone and what that part is? Hope this isn’t anything significant.
My phone have the exact same thing/mark on the exact same place. I am wondering also why is this happening. 🤔 The mark appears when phone gets a bit warm. 🤷‍♂️

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
My brother got the 15pro and says the battery is awful , even worse than his 12 and that was pretty poor

Looking at the following vid I can see why ...

Oh dear

At least my old 13 pro max does well ( smug face )

Reactions: -Gonzo-

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
After doing my transfer from my 14PM over to my 15PM. I noticed a darker area on the side. I went into my bathroom because it has better lighting than my bedroom. I saw the weird random box and then two minutes later it was gone. Shown in photo timestamps too. First picture at 9:23pm, second at 9:25pm

Could it have been because the phone was warmer after transferring? Causing the area to appear? Anyone know much about the build of the phone and what that part is? Hope this isn’t anything significant.
Could be because of additional heat coming from the display cable connected to the main board:
SCR-20230924-jqjq.jpeg

Reactions: NoWayBehind

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
My brother got the 15pro and says the battery is awful , even worse than his 12 and that was pretty poor

Looking at the following vid I can see why ...

Oh dear

At least my old 13 pro max does well ( smug face )
He should of got the max ;)

15 pro is only a bit better than the 14 pro he said in the video and it’s been average for me.

Reactions: George Dawes
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.