Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zonai

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
IMG_0009.jpeg

I think the tint is more apparent here, what do y’all think?

Alexfromaz

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2022
Really? I have heard that iCloud option is a way to avoid any issues :eek:

I am confused, do I update my old phone to 17.0.1 before I backup? Do I need to update thew new phone to 17.0.2? I am probably just zooted and just can't wait till the morning to setup my phone so I am brain dead lol.
When I was at the Apple store setting up my 15 Pro, two employees told me to use iCloud. A few minutes later when I was having trouble with the set up process the second employee came around and explicitly told me: “No, use iCloud back up, always. Never transfer.” I have always thought the transfer process was the easier route

Reactions: Surf Monkey

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
When I was at the Apple store setting up my 15 Pro, two employees told me to use iCloud. A few minutes later when I was having trouble with the set up process the second employee came around and explicitly told me: “No, use iCloud back up, always. Never transfer.” I have always thought the transfer process was the easier route
There was an initial issue with iOS 17 and 17.0.1 with the transfer method which would result in having to connect your phone to a computer to fix whatever went wrong.
There’s since been 17.0.2 which needs to be updated to first before doing the transfer.

I did mine by transfer without any issue.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

Robot21

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2022
Got a dead pixel on my new natural titanium 15PM haha not sure if i should return it or not...had a really bad experience last year with the 14PM. Returned 7 : first 1 with dust in the camera, last 6 all had dead pixel AND cosmetic defects. Eventually i just gave up :/ all bought from an apple store btw.

Coconutx

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2022
Got a dead pixel on my new natural titanium 15PM haha not sure if i should return it or not...had a really bad experience last year with the 14PM. Returned 7 : first 1 with dust in the camera, last 6 all had dead pixel AND cosmetic defects. Eventually i just gave up :/ all bought from an apple store btw.

God sorry to hear that i hate to play the phone lottery never had any good luck had to go through 6 iPhone 6 with dead pixels and light bleed.
I would return that you paid for a premium product.

I had to return my first “iPhone 14 Pro Max” launch day last year due to dust under the screen…..2nd replacement was perfect….

Just received my “iPhone 15 Pro Max” was dreading to even open the box 🙈 checked everything no dents, dead, stuck pixels,dust under screen,no dust in camera lens, no sharp edges.🔪

Excellent tool to test dust and any pixel defects under screen full brightness and check.

Reactions: Robot21

Robot21

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2022
God sorry to hear that i hate to play the phone lottery never had any good luck had to go through 6 iPhone 6 with dead pixels and light bleed.
I would return that you paid for a premium product.

I had to return my first “iPhone 14 Pro Max” launch day last year due to dust under the screen…..2nd replacement was perfect….

Just received my “iPhone 15 Pro Max” was dreading to even open the box 🙈 checked everything no dents, dead, stuck pixels,dust under screen,no dust in camera lens, no sharp edges.🔪

Excellent tool to test dust and any pixel defects under screen full brightness and check.
i would exchange mine but here in italy it works differently...they cant swap it instantly if you bought the phone online...need to return it first, wait for the refund then buy again haha tbh cant really be bothered with all the process again...obviously i could just buy another one then return the defective phone but unfortunately don't have the budget for 2 brand new iPhone. Plus it's pretty much sold out everywhere and dont wanna wait until mid nov for a new one haha
anyways my phone is pretty much perfect except for a SINGLE dead pixel 😂

Reactions: Coconutx

Coconutx

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2022
i would exchange mine but here in italy it works differently...they cant swap it instantly if you bought the phone online...need to return it first, wait for the refund then buy again haha tbh cant really be bothered with all the process again...obviously i could just buy another one then return the defective phone but unfortunately don't have the budget for 2 brand new iPhone. Plus it's pretty much sold out everywhere and dont wanna wait until mid nov for a new one haha
anyways my phone is pretty much perfect except for a SINGLE dead pixel 😂
Pain in the backside horrible process in Italy thank goodness here in the "UK" our return process is much simply once the defective unit returned back to Apple they will process a replacement unit within days.

Robot21

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2022
Pain in the backside horrible process in Italy thank goodness here in the "UK" our return process is much simply once the defective unit returned back to Apple they will process a replacement unit within days.
I think it works like that here too if you ask a replacement online 😂 but since I got an Apple Store really close to where I live I just go there instead. It’s way quicker for me to just return it and wait for the refund instead of the online process for a replacement.

Reactions: Coconutx

N0ughtsAndCr0sses

macrumors regular
May 30, 2017
UK
Cellular data drops. Nothing to do with the location. It stays in the same places the defunct now 13PM stayed and that one did not have any drops at all.

Rob198612

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Miami
I have been lucky

i have had my issues with iphones (iphone 3g iphone 3gs)

(iphone 4s)

but ever since them phones pretty good no issues and I upgrade every year!

I hope to continue the trend next year

Reactions: mouzouris

coso

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2012
In my experience no phone is perfect. It’s just that people aren’t so obsessed to catch everything. I try not to but I just have good eye. My 13P had a bit redddish on the left screen at night and a not great battery. Thankfully my 15PM seems mostly perfect. It has one little dot where the coating is missing and the metal is showing (mine is black). But it’s as small as a white spec of dust near the glass so I’ll be able to ignore it. Also cameras seemed fine today, but tonight against a different light I casually noticed a small dust particle under the main lens. But it’s in the outer part of the lens, where it won’t matter in any picture, so I’m able to ignore it too. Screen seems quite uniform too, even at night. I had worse. What would I risk with an exchange? A phone with a bigger scratch, a dust particle under THE MIDDLE of the lens (will still not be visibile, but is more annoying). Or even worse, an overheating phone, dead pixels, a not so sensitive touch screen, misaligned lens, defective speakers, wonky or bad clicking keys, bad assembly between chassis and back glass, a bad battery. I mean, there’s a lot that can go wrong with these phones and I can guarantee you, no phone is without at least one or more of these even if they cost 1500$. There are some things that I won’t stand ever (a dead pixel for example), but most of everything else I can accept. It bothers me, but the chance of getting a worse phone and starting a return chain is pretty high. Most people don’t notice many things so you can be under the impression that most phones are “perfect”. They are not

bd700pilot

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2018
Touch issues. Some letters on the keyboard are not responsive. I need to press twice or harder. 15 pro max, ios 17.0.2
Do you have a screen protector on? I do. I also have been having some problems getting screen to register touch, sometimes with Spotify.

Other issues I’m having is after I put my AirPods Pro 2 back in the case after playing Spotify, the app just started skipping to next track and kept repeating this. Then the pop up for connecting to an Apple TV came up. Had just taken it out of my pocket.

Mine gets quite warm after it’s on a wireless charger.

I got mine the 22nd, Pro 256gb, restored from iCloud backup and like others it made me sign back into lots of stuff which didn’t happen last year during the 13 to 14 upgrade.

Standby does not work when plugged into anything and places sideways. I think you must buy a special MagSafe stand or something lame like that to get standby mode at all.

Robot21

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2022
In my experience no phone is perfect. It’s just that people aren’t so obsessed to catch everything. I try not to but I just have good eye. My 13P had a bit redddish on the left screen at night and a not great battery. Thankfully my 15PM seems mostly perfect. It has one little dot where the coating is missing and the metal is showing (mine is black). But it’s as small as a white spec of dust near the glass so I’ll be able to ignore it. Also cameras seemed fine today, but tonight against a different light I casually noticed a small dust particle under the main lens. But it’s in the outer part of the lens, where it won’t matter in any picture, so I’m able to ignore it too. Screen seems quite uniform too, even at night. I had worse. What would I risk with an exchange? A phone with a bigger scratch, a dust particle under THE MIDDLE of the lens (will still not be visibile, but is more annoying). Or even worse, an overheating phone, dead pixels, a not so sensitive touch screen, misaligned lens, defective speakers, wonky or bad clicking keys, bad assembly between chassis and back glass, a bad battery. I mean, there’s a lot that can go wrong with these phones and I can guarantee you, no phone is without at least one or more of these even if they cost 1500$. There are some things that I won’t stand ever (a dead pixel for example), but most of everything else I can accept. It bothers me, but the chance of getting a worse phone and starting a return chain is pretty high. Most people don’t notice many things so you can be under the impression that most phones are “perfect”. They are not
this!

I have a dead pixel on mine but i think i'm not gonna exchange it... its almost at the lowest part of the screen ,where the safari search bar is to be precise, and i only see it when i put the phone really close to my face, maybe 3-4 inch distance. If it was at the center of the screen i would've definitely return it tho!

But yea i'm not going to return/exchange because the chance of getting a worse phone and start a return chain is really high like you said...already done that with the 14PM, had to return/exchange 7 times(first one was ONLY dust in camera, the other 6 had dead pixel and cosmetic defects) and tbh never doing that again because its just a waste of time and energy tbh (for me at least).

So yeah, i'm keeping my 15PM with a dead pixel because thats the only defect it has.I got no scratch, dust under the camera, discoloration or sharp edges on my unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: coso

Infernoqt

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2022
I am still hesitating. Should I switch from 14 PM? It took me 3 exchanges before I finally found the one with almost perfect display.

There are always issues with screen uniformity and burning screen around dynamic island. Yet I noticed some 15 pro max models have sharp edges. Imagine how lucky you would need to be in that lottery to get a perfect phone.

I actually ordered a 15 (PM) already but I am still hesitating if to pick it up.

Btw I read a 15 (PM) is overheating a lot. Wow. Still don't understand why I am so addicted to this when it has so many flaws.

aspenextreme03

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2021
I am still hesitating. Should I switch from 14 PM? It took me 3 exchanges before I finally found the one with almost perfect display.

There are always issues with screen uniformity and burning screen around dynamic island. Yet I noticed some 15 pro max models have sharp edges. Imagine how lucky you would need to be in that lottery to get a perfect phone.

I actually ordered a 15 (PM) already but I am still hesitating if to pick it up.

Btw I read a 15 (PM) is overheating a lot. Wow. Still don't understand why I am so addicted to this when it has so many flaws.
love my 15pm and equally enjoyed my 14pm. If you have the financial means do it and the weight and rounded edges are worth it alone. I really appreciate portrait mode as well and one user on here created an amazing short cut for the action button.

some of these use cases of it overheating are overblown in my opinion but I am sure it happens and did on my 14pm in the hot weather (live in GA). YTers use these videos to get clicks on YT among other videos of people deliberately breaking the phone. I am just saying not everything is what it seems and they are phones after all. Good luck with your decision.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I'm noticing that the 5G modem on the note s23 ultra seems to get better signal than the iphone 15 pro max. Right now side by side, the S23 show 4 out of 5 bars on 5G UC, while the iphone pro max has 5G with only 2 bars.
The signal bars are more so an indication of signal quality, but it’s not a standard calculation/measurement.

However, you can still do respectable comparisons:

ibuyufo

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
Thanks for the links. Both had signal strength of -101 dbm but the Galaxy S23 Ultra managed to get better speedtest where it could able to connect to the 5G ultra capacity band while the iphone was just stuck on 5G.
The signal bars are more so an indication of signal quality, but it’s not a standard calculation/measurement.

However, you can still do respectable comparisons:

appleappleuser

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2023
Anybody that tries to bend glass like that, that could always happen…also, it’s only $30 replace the back glass now from Apple with Apple care plus…wouldn’t really worry about that…
The phone could take this much force if you were to accidentally sit on it. And without Apple Care, you will see reduced costs, but high costs nonetheless.

appleappleuser

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2023
It started for me with the iPhone X when I was 33, but to be fair I also have eye issues from a less-than-ideal LASIK experience around age 28ish.

I don’t know specifically why it causes me such migraines but there’s a pretty big thread that suggests it’s not an insignificant number of people struggling with it. I just wish Apple offered LCD as an option in a new premium device.
PWM dimming?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.