Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
View attachment 2278955
Can you see any screen uniformity issues in this picture? I can't seem to see it in photos I'm taking which is making me question if it's a real issue or not...
I can see it. Mine was very similar. Granted I’m legit diagnosed OCD not like most claim. 😌 its not horrible but enough to really annoy me every time I would see it.

NoWayBehind

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2014
Rheinland Pfalz Germany
After doing my transfer from my 14PM over to my 15PM. I noticed a darker area on the side. I went into my bathroom because it has better lighting than my bedroom. I saw the weird random box and then two minutes later it was gone. Shown in photo timestamps too. First picture at 9:23pm, second at 9:25pm

Could it have been because the phone was warmer after transferring? Causing the area to appear? Anyone know much about the build of the phone and what that part is? Hope this isn’t anything significant.
I have this as well. As another poster pointed out it may be from the internal display cable conducting some heat. If that is the case everyone should be able to see it under certain conditions.

Could also be related to humidity a little? Swiping with my finger over it temporarily removed it.

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
This will get ignored because it doesn’t create a better headline, the anti Apple brigade will have a field day with the other one.
This one just spoils that narrative.

Everything Apple pro drop test video was better than Jerry Rigs if you ask me. While the back glass did break on the second drop, the front glass, and cameras on the 15 pro max lasted the entire time. The normal 15 pro didn’t make it the entire test. It just goes to show that there are variables out there.

I was pleasantly surprised and content with the durability once I saw this video. Again, it will be overshadowed by Jerryrigs video from the people looking to hate on Apple or the iPhone 15 pro of course.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI and coso

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
I noticed a new issue this morning - Siri is hanging after a "Siri" voice request instead of resuming audio playback. Could be an iOS 17/on device Siri bug? Is anyone else seeing the same thing?

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Everything Apple pro drop test video was better than Jerry Rigs if you ask me. While the back glass did break on the second drop, the front glass, and cameras on the 15 pro max lasted the entire time. The normal 15 pro didn’t make it the entire test. It just goes to show that there are variables out there.

I was pleasantly surprised and content with the durability once I saw this video. Again, it will be overshadowed by Jerryrigs video from the people looking to hate on Apple or the iPhone 15 pro of course.

That rear glass though just seems to break way too easy for my liking.
Most definitely keeping mine in a case that’s for sure.

PegasusTenma

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014

I’ve had a screen break on a bed while FaceTiming because it fell against a wooden box corner in the unluckiest angle possible. Everything is susceptible to break under certain circumstances so I wouldn’t worry about any of these tests.

What I am super interested in, is the Titanium test with fire.

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
Yeah I think it’s the unfortunate trade off for making the phones cheaper to repair. But personally, I am okay with it since I use a case. I am just more impressed that it can take damage and the phone and cameras still work. My iPhone 7 Plus for example, died after one bad drop ( though the body didn’t have much damage).

Reactions: appleappleuser

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Touch issues. Some letters on the keyboard are not responsive. I need to press twice or harder. 15 pro max, ios 17.0.2
I noticed this with my 15 Pro on Friday and Saturday but better today (Sunday) - suspect that it's the phone indexing stuff in the background that's hogging the processor a bit......

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
I don't know anyone who has had this issue with any iPhone from the X all the way through to the 15. This must be an issues older people must have ( no offense intended to anyone older 50+).
It started for me with the iPhone X when I was 33, but to be fair I also have eye issues from a less-than-ideal LASIK experience around age 28ish.

I don’t know specifically why it causes me such migraines but there’s a pretty big thread that suggests it’s not an insignificant number of people struggling with it. I just wish Apple offered LCD as an option in a new premium device.

Cancelled
Jun 16, 2022
15 pro max here.

1. My always on display turns off after a period of time, even when set to never do so. 14 pro max only did this when face down or in pocket but this phone does it even with screen facing up.

[...]
The "Always-On display" with the 14 Pro Max was never always on, and it is the same with the 15 Pro Max. Apple never claimed that.

The "Always-On display" is driven by an algorithm based on the use of the phone. So if one gets up in the morning at roughly the same time, goes to bed at roughly the same time, and spends each time by using the phone regularly, users won't notice that, because it will seem that it was always on.

If one uses the phone irregularly (in terms of weekdays and time of the day) the algorithm's output is nonsensical, and one has to touch the screen to turn on the display (which presumably in turn might change the algorithm's output again) – it is a pain in the a...!

zonai

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
I can see it. Mine was very similar. Granted I’m legit diagnosed OCD not like most claim. 😌 its not horrible but enough to really annoy me every time I would see it.
I’m trying to get a better photo of it, but even I can’t see it in the photo I took. It looks much more obvious in person, but bizarrely I’m not seeing it all the time. I do have an OLED TV with a similar issue on white content where it appears a little reddish on the left compared to the rest of the picture. The TV only really bothers me during basketball, but on a phone a lot of UI elements are white…I wonder if they already have display parts in store and could do a swap under warranty.

Reactions: BrightCanon

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
The "Always-On display" with the 14 Pro Max was never always on, and it is the same with the 15 Pro Max. Apple never claimed that.

The "Always-On display" is driven by an algorithm based on the use of the phone. So if one gets up in the morning at roughly the same time, goes to bed at roughly the same time, and spends each time by using the phone regularly, users won't notice that, because it will seem that it was always on.

If one uses the phone irregularly (in terms of weekdays and time of the day) the algorithm's output is nonsensical, and one has to touch the screen to turn on the display (which presumably in turn might change the algorithm's output again) – it is a pain in the a...!
That’s part of how it works, this is the full description according to Apple.

Use Always-On display with your iPhone 14 Pro or iPhone 14 Pro Max​

With Always-On display, your iPhone 14 Pro or iPhone 14 Pro Max will dim the Lock Screen while still showing helpful information, such as the time, widgets and wallpaper, all while using new technologies that make the display incredibly power efficient. Find out how to use Always-On display.

ios-16-iphone-14-pro-always-on-display.png

Find out about Always-On display​

Your iPhone 14 Pro or iPhone 14 Pro Max display can operate with a refresh rate as low as 1 Hz with a new low-power mode, and uses improved technology that allows the display to dim the entire Lock Screen. The display will dim when you lock your device or leave it idle. Always-On display also uses multiple coprocessors in the A16 Bionic to refresh the display using minimal power.
Always-On display is turned on by default on iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max.
To interact with your iPhone, raise it, tap the screen or press the side button. If you use Raise to Wake, raising and looking at your iPhone will wake your device as usual. You can also swipe up from the bottom of your display to wake iPhone and activate Face ID authentication.

Personalise your Lock Screen​

You can customise your Always-On display by personalising your Lock Screen with photos, wallpapers with stylised fonts and colours, and widgets.
Find out how to customise the Lock Screen

Always-On display will go dark when you don't need to see it​

To save battery life, the display will go completely dark when:
  • Your iPhone is lying face down
  • Your iPhone is in your pocket or bag
  • Sleep Focus is turned on
  • Low Power Mode is turned on
  • Your iPhone is connected to CarPlay
  • You're using Continuity Camera
  • You haven't used your iPhone for a while (your iPhone can learn your activity patterns and will turn the display off and on accordingly, including if you've set up an alarm or sleep schedule)
  • Your iPhone detects that you've moved away from it with a paired Apple Watch (Always-On display will turn on when your Apple Watch is close to your iPhone again)

How to turn Always-On display off or on​

Always-On display is turned on by default on iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max. To turn Always-On display off or on, follow these steps:
  1. Go to Settings > Display & Brightness > Always On Display.
  2. Turn Always-On display off or on.
    ios-16-iphone-14-2-pro-always-on-display.png
You can also turn Show Wallpaper and Show Notifications off or on.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
That rear glass though just seems to break way too easy for my liking.
Most definitely keeping mine in a case that’s for sure.

If you look at the new video from JerryRigEverything, the aluminum internal frame has a hole in the middle where he was pushing his thumbs. This makes me think it’s less of a bend test, and more of a poke test.

As for the breakage from this drop, yes it’s unfortunate. Looks like repairability will add new challenges to durability in the short term.

xanderville

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
If you look at the new video from JerryRigEverything, the aluminum internal frame has a hole in the middle where he was pushing his thumbs. This makes me think it’s less of a bend test, and more of a poke test.

As for the breakage from this drop, yes it’s unfortunate. Looks like repairability will add new challenges to durability in the short term.
Good catch. Finger placement on the bend test may be the variable in why the back may shatter. This would hopefully make it a non-issue in pockets

Reactions: AdamInKent

micr0

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014

My 14 pro max was indeed truly always on. Unless placed face down or in a pocket it would stay on. I usually sleep with my phone unplugged, face up on my bed. It stayed on all throughout the night from the day I got it until now.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
View attachment 2278955
Can you see any screen uniformity issues in this picture? I can't seem to see it in photos I'm taking which is making me question if it's a real issue or not...
That looks perfectly fine to me. What are you seeing that worries you? lol. I am very sensitive to screen issues and yeah I'm aware I'm looking at a photo but that looks normal.

Superman041

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Going crazy here with this difference in colour/smudge/mark around the camera circles on the back.

Literally out the box

Is it just me?

Attachments

• IMG_8435_Original.jpeg
    IMG_8435_Original.jpeg
    342.5 KB · Views: 128

zonai

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
That looks perfectly fine to me. What are you seeing that worries you? lol. I am very sensitive to screen issues and yeah I'm aware I'm looking at a photo but that looks normal.
I’m aware the photo looks normal, what I’m seeing is a reddish tint on the right side of the screen at certain times of the day. I’ve only had the phone for two days of course but it seems to be noticeable more at night, it could be a combination of True Tone and Night Shift, but even if I shift my phone to landscape is looks reddish on the right side. I can’t seem to reproduce it in photos which is driving me crazy, like if I’m seeing it it should also be visible to the camera? But maybe the adjustments/light sensitivity differences in the camera makes it disappear. I’m trying to get another photo when I notice it again.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015

That hole is where the wireless charging unit sits
IMG_2848.jpeg

IMG_2851.jpeg

Reactions: AdamInKent
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.