Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I cannot connect to the internet on my mid-2011 iMac with Sierra 10.12.2

Is this a bug? What is the problem?

KJL3000

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
Sleep wake issue

Since I upgraded my 2010 15" MacBook Pro from El Capitan to Sierra (at that time 10.12.1) putting it to sleep results in crashing (display remains black, restarts after approx. 5 minutes). I updated to 10.12.2 but same error. The temporary workaround is to disable sleep in energy prefs. I tried the following: Resetting PRAM & SMC, Starting in safe mode, reinstalled 10.12.2 (over the existing OS): no success.

Then I installed a fresh version on an external usb stick, no problem with sleep wake there anymore. I should mention that I'm using a DIY fusion drive (SAMSUNG SSD 830 & HGST HTS721010A9E630). I think there could be a Problem with DIY fusion drives and Sierra. Next step will be to format both drives, rebuild fusion drive and setting up a fresh sierra macOS without restoring any backups from time machine yet to see if the problem could be isolated to fusion drive.

A.Chakery

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2011
Vienna, Austria
If you update your Airport Firmware to 7.7.8, you would not be able to access your files directly from finder in your Mac Sierra (10.12.2).

I have tested it on 3 different machines and 3 different devices, two Airport Extremes (2013) and One Time Capsule (2013).

Apple has messed up something either in this firmware or 10.12.2 macOS update.

Please take a look at this thread :
Can not read files after updating to macOS 10.12.2 in Time Capsule

Reactions: ccontreras

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm not sure if this is a 2016 MBP issue or a MacOS 10.12 issue. I have external hard drives that are used to backup info on my MBP. Since getting the new MBP, and setting Energy Saver to "put the hard drives asleep when possible", I go away, come back and I have messages from my external drives that they were ejected improperly. The thing is I thought this setting just concerned the Mac's HD, which btw is a SSD, does it ever truly shut down? If I'm understanding this correctly, if such a setting is going to be in the OS, shouldn't it be smart enough to eject the hard drives before it completely shuts down? They are externally powered, so they run no matter what the OS is doing.
Thanks!

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
I haven't had too many problems yet, and most things I have tried have worked. But, I have come across 1 annoyance, and 1 minor issue that fixed itself so far.

The annoying one is when I'm not connected to the Internet, iTunes keeps bugging me that it can't connect everytime a new song starts. The one that fixed itself was the magsafe power light wouldn't turn orange, even though it was charging. It eventually has started to work on it's own.

I am impressed so far, and the update went smooth for me and my 17" MacBook Pro (mid-2010) from 10.10 Yosemite.

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
I came across a problem now. I have a USB optical audio device that worked fine under 10.10 (Yosemite), but now does not. The light comes on, but the OS doesn't recognize it. It seems to have happened to a lot of other people as well. There aren't any drivers for Mac that you can download since it is supposed to just work when it gets plugged in. It seems like since it is happening with a lot of other USB audio devices that it is a Sierra issue.

http://www.aimpro21.com/prod_as372n.asp

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/65232

CreativeSeoul

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2017
I have an MBP Early 2011 15'' and facing the problem with the blurred screen when I reduce / change the resolution size from standard to a lower one. I don't have this problem, when I have the standard scaled resolution. I tried everything from PRAM to SMC Reset, restarting, quitting all apps. Nothing worked. Also I never used Photos before, but i started and quit it by myself. Still the blurred screen / fonts are there since I updated from El Capitan to Sierra (10.12.2). In El Capitan and also before I never had this kind of problem. It is very frustrating and I cannot use my setup like before. Aynonelse facing these issues or has other suggestions?

Also in the Apple forum 2011 MPB owner are reporting this problem. (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7725238?start=0&tstart=0)
--- Post Merged, 2 minutes ago ---

See the thread about how Sierra causes MBP screens to become blurred at lower resolutions.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/sierra-makes-my-2011-mbp-screens-blurred.2019636/

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
I'm not sure if this is a 2016 MBP issue or a MacOS 10.12 issue. I have external hard drives that are used to backup info on my MBP. Since getting the new MBP, and setting Energy Saver to "put the hard drives asleep when possible", I go away, come back and I have messages from my external drives that they were ejected improperly. The thing is I thought this setting just concerned the Mac's HD, which btw is a SSD, does it ever truly shut down? If I'm understanding this correctly, if such a setting is going to be in the OS, shouldn't it be smart enough to eject the hard drives before it completely shuts down? They are externally powered, so they run no matter what the OS is doing.
Thanks!

i remember this being a problem in el capitan too.. for some reason i havent had it in a while but then again i quickly connect and disc my disks. do let us know if/how you solve it - call apple support too and escalate it

Reactions: Huntn

arggg14

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
Using a 2016 15" RMBP. Every so often the folders on my dock will open like this when I click on them showing no apps/documents. The only solution is to open a finder window instead. Also, anytime this happens the next time I swipe with the gesture to open app expose, the entire computer freezes up and the only thing I can do is restart. A reinstall of OS X did not solve the issue Is this a known bug on 10.12.2?

Attachments

• IMG_0892.jpg
    IMG_0892.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 305

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
Getting an issue when I wake my MacBook from sleep - the screen stays black, but the keyboard still lights up. Sometimes this happens when my external monitor is turned off (but plugged in). Even if I unplug everything from the MBP, the screen still stays black, and I need to do a hard shut down to fix the issue.
Same

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
iTunes sync issue. I manually sync my photo library for photo management via Photos. When I try to sync my videos via USB in iTunes, there's an error about the videos app not being loaded on my phone. Not possible since there is no videos options anymore. Weird.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
iTunes sync issue. I manually sync my photo library for photo management via Photos. When I try to sync my videos via USB in iTunes, there's an error about the videos app not being loaded on my phone. Not possible since there is no videos options anymore. Weird.

As you appear to know, the Videos app was replaced by the TV app. Did you delete the TV app?

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
As you appear to know, the Videos app was replaced by the TV app. Did you delete the TV app?

Yes, to no avail. Apple support did say their team is investigating the issue, but no timeframe. I can always mail drop the videos and it will add them to my camera roll, but mail dropping 137 HD videos would take forever.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
Yes, to no avail. Apple support did say their team is investigating the issue, but no timeframe. I can always mail drop the videos and it will add them to my camera roll, but mail dropping 137 HD videos would take forever.

Wait, you *did* delete the TV app? The TV app is where videos are stored now.

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
Wait, you *did* delete the TV app? The TV app is where videos are stored now.

Supposedly stored. My video library that was accessible through the videos app on my iphone and ipad is available on neither in the tv app. What a fustercluck. I can still access them on atv. The only setting in the tv app settings pertaining to this is logging in to home sharing as both are. No dice.

Last edited:

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
OK, figured I had better update. I had to actually sync one movie to the phone and ipad to set up the link to see the rest of the library. Just syncing without syncing any movies as I have always done would not do it. So maybe not a bug but a pita if you don't know about it.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Not sure if its a possible 'bug' but u can't delete non-App Store Apps from Launchpad,, only from Finder.. which u could otherwise do with Yosemite and above.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I wish Apple would get their error messages right :

You think this iPhone has issues,, but this message comes up in iTunes if u let your display sleep on battery, but device is still connected. Sticking device in DFU fixes this, but really Apple this would scare the pants of people.

All it takes a bit of imagination instead of couple a few "looks like" type errors into one problem.

Attachments

• Service.png
    Service.png
    62.4 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:

arggg14

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
Using a 2016 15" RMBP. Every so often the folders on my dock will open like this when I click on them showing no apps/documents. The only solution is to open a finder window instead. Also, anytime this happens the next time I swipe with the gesture to open app expose, the entire computer freezes up and the only thing I can do is restart. A reinstall of OS X did not solve the issue Is this a known bug on 10.12.2?
Apple engineers determined this is a know issue.... Waiting for a fix on my 2.5k computer... fun.

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
When booting into recovery mode (Commad-R at start up until Apple Logo appears), it takes a long time, and all the menu items are little squares with question marks in them. The main recovery features in the window that comes up work I assume. I couldn't get a terminal window to start up though.

Mid 2010- 17" MacBook Pro - OS X 12.2

catlv

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2016
still get the horrible graphic glitching on start-up and shut down.

late 2015, 27" and 10.12.3

Attachments

• IMG_1233.JPG
    IMG_1233.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 237

uajafd

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2015
Probably since 10.12.3 betas (did not check earlier):

Screenshot 2017-01-24 08.36.35.png

Well big thank you Apple for totally fouling up my experience with an old IBM Model M keyboard!

lotones

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2010
Siri finally works with Sierra 10.12.3 on my mid 2011 i7 iMac. I basically got Siri for my birthday.

Thanks Apple!

Reactions: rcappo

lint2015

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2013
Not sure if its a possible 'bug' but u can't delete non-App Store Apps from Launchpad,, only from Finder.. which u could otherwise do with Yosemite and above.
Pretty sure Launchpad has always only allowed you to delete App Store apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.