Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
We've finally launched our new theme and forum change!

Most of the data should have migrated over. If you notice any problems. Please let me know. This thread should be for bugs and issues related to the new theme. Or general feedback.

If you have tips or tricks that you want to share with other users, please post in Xenforo Tips and Tricks thread.

- Please update your avatar (everyone gets an avatar)
- Spy is disabled for the moment
- Some permissions are still rebuilding
- Some other indexes are also rebuilding

arn

Why are these changes only for the forums? The front page still doesn't adapt to dark mode. Is that coming soon?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Can we modify the configuration to NOT allow the "FULL" size image? My preference would be to only allow "thumbnail" images. If I want to see the image in detail, I can click/tap on the thumbnail to see it full size.

This has always been a pet peeve for me - threads with good discussions back and forth, and all is good until someone decides that they need to post a full-size screen print that takes over the thread. Personally, seems like a no-brainer to me.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's a great improvement.

One thing though - I used to be able to view forum posts in a thread ranked by the most likes. I did this often to focus on what might be some of the most relevant posts and sort of filter through without having to read the whole thread..

Can we still do this? It seems missing at the moment - or maybe I need to look more.
That doesn't seem to be currently available.

That aside, I've often found that the most liked posts in many threads (or perhaps at least many popular or news-related threads) tended to end up being less relevant as they usually turned out to be some sort "fun"/funny type of posts rather than meaningfully relevant ones. With that said, I guess it likely differs based on different types of threads.

• Wow
Reactions: BuddyTronic

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
That doesn't seem to be currently available.

That aside, I've often found that the most liked posts in many threads (or perhaps at least many popular or news-related threads) tended to end up being less relevant as they usually turned out to be some sort "fun"/funny type of posts rather than meaningfully relevant ones. With that said, I guess it likely differs based on different types of threads.

Well, I’d rather everyone decide for themself what is interesting or relevant rather than relying on an admin. Right?

I hope you can bring this tool/method back. Without it, it seems very crippled.

maybe do like reddit to boost the cream to the top. Otherwise the threads can get badly polluted I think

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well, I’d rather everyone decide for themself what is interesting or relevant rather than relying on an admin. Right?

I hope you can bring this tool/method back. Without it, it seems very crippled.

maybe do like reddit to boost the cream to the top. Otherwise the threads can get badly polluted I think
I’m not sure how mod involvement or relevance is in play when threads are simply displayed with posts in chronological order.

That’s not to say some options related to sorting by something like likes shouldn’t be there, just that without something like that and with things simply being displayed in the order that they come in, basically with natural chronological flow, doesn’t make something polluted or anything like that.

(In fact, it could even be said that an opposite argument could be made that some posts could be made to mostly gather likes rather than meaningfully contribute.)

• Angry
Reactions: BuddyTronic

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I’m not sure how mod involvement or relevance is in play when threads are simply displayed with posts in chronological order.

That’s not to say some options related to sorting by something like likes shouldn’t be there, just that without something like that and with things simply being displayed in the order that they come in, basically with natural chronological flow, doesn’t make something polluted or anything like that.

(In fact, it could even be said that an opposite argument could be made that some posts could be made to mostly gather likes rather than meaningfully contribute.)

Chronological order is natural, and of course it is a useful way to view a thread. We agree on that.

it seems you are oblivious and resistant to users requests (even if the idea of it) to restore sorting posts by “most likes”. You have suggested that perhaps it is not needed!

“Meaningful” is something to be determined by the reader I suppose.

I agree that likes do not equate to value or meaning. I don’t care actually. I just want to sort the posts like I could do 2 days ago! Now I’m putting in time trying to explain again.

please consider that other users might have a different style of getting to the information (posts) that they want. You may not even be a participant here for all I know - I don’t usually chat with admins here, and am doing so because I wanted to help - in part by explaining the problem that has come with the removal of this function.

whew!

you are like my Mercedes salesman telling me that the perfume ionizer feature of the car is pointless - but he is telling me that “wisdom” without ever owning the high end model that has this feature, or maybe even being capable of appreciating it. I bought the car and it was missing the perfume bottle, and the salesman tried to distract and differ and dismiss (because it’s $150 that the dealer eventually had to pay for in my 1 year old car).

my bet is that it is a ton of work, or maybe it’s not possible for whoever runs this site to restore this function, but I already have seen 2 or 3 other users who are also taking the time to tell you that they miss it. Hope you will come around towards understanding the importance rather than dismissing this issue. I have made 1000 posts I’d bet. How many have you made?

I’m guessing and making assumptions a lot here - but I’m trying to “cut to the chase“. Hope it comes across clearly and not in an insulting way, ok?

Does this put some light in it and open your viewpoint somewhat?

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
it seems you are oblivious and resistant to users requests (even if the idea of it) to restore sorting posts by “most likes”.
Seems like most that reply was based and centered on that statement. And yet my post that it was in rely to had me rather clearly state basically the opposite of what that statement says.

Hope you will come around towards understanding the importance rather than dismissing this issue. I have made 1000 posts I’d bet. How many have you made?
Fairly certain I wasn’t dismissing anything and simply commenting on something. (Not sure what posts counts have to do with anything.)
[automerge]1569030997[/automerge]
my bet is that it is a ton of work, or maybe it’s not possible for whoever runs this site to restore this function
Look like it’s being looked into: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ting-in-threads-removed.2199458/post-27776304

Last edited:

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Seems like most that reply was mostly based on that. And yet the post it was in rely to had me rather clearly state basically the opposite.

I don’t understand - I think you made some typos.

but to the point - sort by likes can come back? Or you cannot? Or won’t? Or ?

Post counts should give you cause to listen to a user who possibly has used this forum even more than the admins.

you say you don’t understand the importance of sorting by most likes - that’s part of the warning - you might be failing to realize the damage caused by removal of this feature.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don’t understand - I think you made some typos.

but to the point - sort by likes can come back? Or you cannot? Or won’t? Or ?
None of that is up to me, nor was I commenting on if it could or couldn’t.

Post counts should give you cause to listen to a user who possibly has used this forum even more than the admins.
If you think that’s something meaningful, perhaps there’s something to listen to then based on that statement.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
If you think that’s something meaningful, perhaps there’s something to listen to then based on that statement.

im listening. I’m assuming you are an admin even.

please tell me if you have any point to get back to me other than that you possibly have judged this “sort by most likes“ feature as “un-needed”. Anything else? Because that’s all I got from you - it amounts to a diversion.

whether you use the feature or understand a users’ use of the feature is not of great interest to me.

Imentioned that some of us really miss it.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
im listening. I’m assuming you are an admin even.

please tell me if you have any point to get back to me other than that you possibly have judged this “sort by most likes“ feature as “un-needed”. Anything else? Because that’s all I got from you - it amounts to a diversion.

whether you use the feature or understand a users’ use of the feature is not of great interest to me.

Imentioned that some of us really miss it.
It appears that quite a few assumptions have been made, and are being made, most of which are not in line with reality or what was actually said.

In any case, as I mentioned before, what it comes down to is what’s mentioned at https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ting-in-threads-removed.2199458/post-27776304

Reactions: AZhappyjack

TDDM

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2017
KA
I like the forum upgrade overall, but there is one small thing: search used to default to most recent, now it seems to default to most relevant. Is there some kind of setting to change that? It was nice to just type in the term, hit search, and see if anyone is currently discussing a certain topic.

Reactions: C DM

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
Gotta get rid of the avatars when viewing thread lists, on both sides of the screen - everything is so cluttered when browsing threads.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I like the forum upgrade overall, but there is one small thing: search used to default to most recent, now it seems to default to most relevant. Is there some kind of setting to change that? It was nice to just type in the term, hit search, and see if anyone is currently discussing a certain topic.
Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 7.46.04 AM.png

Click Search then Advanced Search and you can choose to get results based on date like in my screenshot. I just tested and this gives you most recent first.

davidb8

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2013
please can someone tell me how to turn off the new dark mode for main page and forum?!?

Edit. found the option to turn it off immediately after I posted this haha. Swear I couldnt find it before as the dark mode was giving me a mega headache

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.