Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kovey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
It fascinates me that people take their devices somewhere to have their screen protectors installed. These goofballs running a mall kiosk in a filthy, dusty environment are no better skilled at doing something that you can at home in 5 minutes.

ep3forlife13

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2015
New Jersey
So I went to install them today on my watch. The first one was disaster haha
On the second one, the edges don't seem to fall on the curved side. I hoping that when it dries it will fall into place...?

----------

I went to my local Zagg to investigate. The only had the original and it was going to cost $20!!
How much did you pay?

Is that the armorsuit protector in that picture?!?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
Is that the armorsuit protector in that picture?!?

yes and the hair dryer seems to work... (for now)

I left it for about 2 hours and the corners were up I pushed down on them and used the hair dryer and so far it seems ok. I got a lot air bubbles and dust? hoping once it sets it will be ok...

leave me to edit something in FCP for a day and i'm ok.. install a screen protector...nope :p

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Tycho is that the trick? I'm going to install those ones tonight and I dont want to mess up lol....

It is, indeed!
Place it on in the steamy bathroom, after applying the installation solution liberally... then squeegee it out from underneath. Lastly, whilst holding it firmly, dead center, use the low air/high heat setting & blow dry the edges. They get kind of "gummy" and adhere perfectly.

Lol, kind of fun to be an expert at something... even something so mundane. ;0)

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
It is, indeed!
Place it on in the steamy bathroom, after applying the installation solution liberally... then squeegee it out from underneath. Lastly, whilst holding it firmly, dead center, use the low air/high heat setting & blow dry the edges. They get kind of "gummy" and adhere perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqQ99s4Ywnw
Sorry couldn't resist... maybe i could get a replacement from them??:confused:

ep3forlife13

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2015
New Jersey
It is, indeed!

I shall post pictures after my hopefully successful attempt later!

kovey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
It's probably not a good idea to take a hair dryer to an apple watch. You'll probably start to melt the factory adhesive under the face.

corlando465

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
I scratched my sport screen not wearing to work till I get protectors in the mail this week

I've bought two different ones - first the stick on film -yuk so I ordered the tempered glass one like I have on my phone. I would have used it but it left a large portion of the perimeter uncovered / in protected and because it was so much smaller than the screen it was very noticeable. I hope your screen protector fits better. Please reply if yours works well as I do prefer to use one with my sport.

ep3forlife13

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2015
New Jersey
Cool cool!
Much appreciated... I'll live vicariously thru you. :)

Went on pretty smooth the second time....first one was my trial...but def the shower and hair dryer worked..very minimal dust...like 4 specks under the protector which was my fault....I emailed them and they are sending me another set for free so I'll redo it once they get here but....these are great...a few bubbles but they will go away as they have the past hour or so!!! Awesome protectors!

Attachments

• IMG_2372.JPG
    IMG_2372.JPG
    349.5 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_2373.JPG
    IMG_2373.JPG
    333.4 KB · Views: 325

ep3forlife13

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2015
New Jersey
Does anyone have an opinion on the ArmorSuit vs. the Spigen? I have never used either of their products. The results from the ArmorSuit look good in the post above.

Spigen
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UVSNECC/

Armorsuit
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UH3K244

I was always a Spigen guy......but these Armorsuit protectors are great and they have some awesome customer service....you can get 4 protectors for the price of 1 Spigen......so its a great value

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Went on pretty smooth the second time....first one was my trial...but def the shower and hair dryer worked..very minimal dust...like 4 specks under the protector which was my fault....I emailed them and they are sending me another set for free so I'll redo it once they get here but....these are great...a few bubbles but they will go away as they have the past hour or so!!! Awesome protectors!

Great job, man!
I'm impressed.... lol, it literally took me the better part of an hour to do a full wrap on my iPad. By the end of it, I was dripping with sweat from being in my steamy bathroom for so long, but it came out perfect and I was ridiculously proud.

One last tip:
Use a can of forced air to remove those last few pesky dust particles, immediately prior to application.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.