Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
What would be the best braided knockoffs? I bought a few on amazon but they are plastic on the ends and they move around it bit where it should be secured to the watch.

jaymc

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Port Orchard, WA
81fse-M9gJL._AC_UY695_.jpg

Just picked up these six knock-offs on Amazon $35 $27 ($8 coupon) to check out just to see how they would look. :)

Last edited:

coredev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2012
Bavaria
What would be the best braided knockoffs? I bought a few on amazon but they are plastic on the ends and they move around it bit where it should be secured to the watch.
I ordered from several sellers on Aliexpress with mixed results.
From an optical point of view the Urvoi bands mentioned here in the thread are the best hands down. The metal connector is 1:1 identical with OEM bands, the colors match pretty well. However the band material itself feels very uncomfortable to me compared to other bands. The braided band smells, is not as soft and stretch.
There are other stores selling 1:1 braided loop clones for about 1/3 the price that Urvoi commands. These bands are softer, more stretchy and I find them comfortable to wear. Colors are a bit different from OEM bands. What bothers me the most there is the quality of the connector, which looks similar but is technically different from Apple’s. It does not fit well so it moves around in the watch, and sometimes the release mechanism gets stuck and I have difficulty getting the band out again.
Then there are the cheap braided loops with plastic connectors, which are almost identically comfortable wearing them as OEM bands, but they look different near the watch, because they don’t feather out.

Going back to your question, it comes down to what you are looking for in a braided solo loop: nice to wear, optically identical to Apple’s bands, cost savings over the original?

Reactions: Exoid and wildaman

coredev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2012
Bavaria
Following up on my post from yesterday, here is a visual comparison of the braided loops:

$2 loop w plastic connector - $5 loop different mechanics - $15 URVOI loop - $99 Apple Original
tempImagekCq5ZW.jpg

Comparison of the metal connector on the knockoffs:
URVOI has flat back and protruding metal pin, like the Apple bands have
tempImageztfNp8.jpg
tempImageAAxgKq.jpg

The cheaper loops with metal connector have it the other way around, the back side has a round plastic pin sticking out, which then presses the metal part into the watch lock. Together with subpar production quality (see image) this can lead to a band being stuck in the watch.
tempImageX40PBi.jpg
tempImageHDkZ0m.jpg

Adam Henry

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
View attachment 2140884

Just picked up these six knock-offs on Amazon $35 $27 ($8 coupon) to check out just to see how they would look. :)
i got these as well. the quality seems good and i can tell between the apple solo loop and the one that costs 10 buck
Who makes Alpine loop bands at least as wide as Apple's? The ones I order are narrower and shorter than my long band.
i got these in this morning, i cant tell the difference between the apple alpine and these ones.

Reactions: wildaman and jaymc

kmingis

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
NC
I really need to stop buying watch bands for my AWU, lol. Picked up another one from Threaded Leather (in "vegetable tan"). I'd wear it 24/7 if not for gym time and avoiding sweat.

Attachments

• IMG_4431.jpeg
    IMG_4431.jpeg
    452.2 KB · Views: 263

scotsmandc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
I really need to stop buying watch bands for my AWU, lol. Picked up another one from Threaded Leather (in "vegetable tan"). I'd wear it 24/7 if not for gym time and avoiding sweat.

my favourite band right now. It patinas real quick.

Attachments

• 04B80BEA-33E8-40F8-B9E1-A52A540BA4C8.jpeg
    04B80BEA-33E8-40F8-B9E1-A52A540BA4C8.jpeg
    312.2 KB · Views: 168

coredev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2012
Bavaria
I was curious how the colors compare between an OEM band and the AliExpress knock offs, so I ordered a "Starlight" colored Sport Band to compare with my original.

Can you tell which one is which?

IMG_5773 Large.jpeg
IMG_5774 Large.jpeg

Reactions: AppleKarma

pcmike

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
Can someone recommend a good waterproof watch band for 45mm that has the following: regular old style clasp (the kind that goes into a hole), excess strap goes into a loop and DOES NOT get tucked back on the inside of the band, has to fit a smaller wrist despite the fact that it's for the 45mm case, and finally I'd prefer all black with black hardware. Essentially what I'm looking for is the original sport band, but like a traditional watch band.

coredev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2012
Bavaria
my guess is top is Apple, but I didn't didn't notice any huge visual differences
Thanks for playing :)
Actually, the lower one is the OEM band, I myself could not tell the visual difference if it weren't for the connector pins, which are band colored on the OEM and black on the knock off.
However, the Apple band feels a lot softer and "nicer".

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
Can someone recommend a good waterproof watch band for 45mm that has the following: regular old style clasp (the kind that goes into a hole), excess strap goes into a loop and DOES NOT get tucked back on the inside of the band, has to fit a smaller wrist despite the fact that it's for the 45mm case, and finally I'd prefer all black with black hardware. Essentially what I'm looking for is the original sport band, but like a traditional watch band.

My suggestion is an Ocean Band knock off. I’ve gotten a few of these and really like them. They are very comfortable even though they don’t look like it. Only think is I doubt you’ll find them with black hardware.

Reactions: jaymc

pcmike

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
My suggestion is an Ocean Band knock off. I’ve gotten a few of these and really like them. They are very comfortable even though they don’t look like it. Only think is I doubt you’ll find them with black hardware.
I bought 4 of them over the weekend. Not really a fan of any of them. They all have their issues and are just pretty flimsy in different ways.

I came across this band and it looks like exactly what I want. Anyone have any experience?

REZERO Compatible with Apple Watch Band 49mm 45mm 44mm 42mm 41mm 40mm 38mm, Fluoro Rubber Watchbands/Watch Strap Replacement for Apple iWatch SE Series 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 Sport, Edition … https://www.amazon.com/MAIKES-Compatible-Fluoro-Watchbands-Replacement/dp/B07K2TD8FZ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.