Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
Apple however did make a changes in iOS10 as far as allowing lower case for the Settings any longer but anyhow it works that's the most important thing.

I also saw David Barnard @drbarnard on Twitter the developer of Launch Center Pro saying that "app-Prefs" allows you to launch from the app as well (besides the widget).

How would "app-Prefs" look in a URL scheme?

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
How to use "app-Prefs"? Does it enable opening Settings launchers from the app?
Apple however did make a changes in iOS10 as far as allowing lower case for the Settings any longer but anyhow it works that's the most important thing.

I also saw David Barnard @drbarnard on Twitter the developer of Launch Center Pro saying that "app-Prefs" allows you to launch from the app as well (besides the widget).

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
How to use "app-Prefs"? Does it enable opening Settings launchers from the app?

The use of app-Prefs:root=... (fill in link to setting on the dotted line) allows you to launch from the app as well (besides the widget). I also included that earlier to the start post of this topic.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Thanks a bunch... I had noticed this before sometime back while playing with Launcher ... good to refresh again.
Also, Magic Launcher doesn't allow you to edit many of its built in launchers, in fact it doesn't even show the URL path so there is no way to change it either. Doesn't seem like there is any point in hiding the URL path as if it's a secret. So in that respect, Launcher is better.

The use of app-Prefs:root=... (fill in link to setting on the dotted line) allows you to launch from the app as well (besides the widget). I also included that earlier to the start post of this topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: pacorob

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL

I'm unclear on this. Are you saying it allows to launch a widget from in the Launcher App? Mine already do that. What am I missing? Oh, wait. Yeah some don't. I see.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I'm unclear on this. Are you saying it allows to launch a widget from in the Launcher App? Mine already do that. What am I missing? Oh, wait. Yeah some don't. I see.

It can launch the settings from within an app so e.g. can be helpful for combining things like Workflow or Launch Center Pro do. I'm not using Launcher via the app but only via the widget so it doesn't bring me much but thought I should share it here though.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
When you create a launcher, the URL path is: Prefs:root=... Now if you click on this launcher in the app itself, it will prompt you that this launcher works only in the widget which it does but not from the app itself.
If change the URL path to: app-Prefs:root=... the launcher will work from both the widget and the app.
Most of the time, we use launchers from the widget but this small change allows you to use launchers from the app also.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Can't one just create a custom launcher for the apps which are not supported using the URL path?
Magic Launcher doesn't show the URL but Launcher Pro does.
The UI is nice of AirLaunch (Pro) is nice but the supported app list is very limited in comparison to Launcher (or Magic Launcher Pro).

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Yes but it is a pain. But if you really want to use that app versus others, and the app allows for custom, you sure can. But why use it when Magic Launcher is so good?

Can't one just create a custom launcher for the apps which are not supported using the URL path?
Magic Launcher doesn't show the URL but Launcher Pro does.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
It would be great to have a similar option like this iLauncher app from Chi Nguyen has which can show almost all apps in the widget also ones that don't seem to have an URL scheme that isn't also available with Launcher from Cromulent Labs or Magic Launcher. The app is buggy and lacks the size reducing option or removing ads but it does have that great feature though.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
The new photo option in Launcher is neat. I have a photo of my Wife on this one. Once it's there, you can delete the photo from the camera roll and it stays on the widget.
0e10a11e51e7d8ca321975742ff7540a.jpg

I just can't think of many practical uses. LOL

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Has Apple changed its policy again on creating launchers for Settings app in iOS 10.3? Update change log for Launcher seems to indicate so. Can anyone testing iOS 10.3 please check if creating new launchers for Settings work?

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
Has Apple changed its policy again on creating launchers for Settings app in iOS 10.3? Update change log for Launcher seems to indicate so. Can anyone testing iOS 10.3 please check if creating new launchers for Settings work?

I have emailed the developer to explain further as existing setting launchers I have work in the new version and I can still add others.

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
Here is the reply

Are you sure you have upgraded to the newest Launcher v2.2.7? If you do, you will notice that the Settings app launchers are no longer listed when you try to create a new launcher. That is the change that I was forced to make. The good news is that existing Settings launchers should continue to work for now. But I won't be surprised if they stop working in iOS 11.

However, the workaround for this new issue is that you can still use Custom Launchers to create whatever launcher you want. And I found this post on macrumors which lists the URLs for the Settings launchers. Feel free to bookmark it for the future if you want to add new Settings launchers:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ings-launchers-in-app-launching-apps.2037291/

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I saw it mentioned in the latest beta test for v2.2.7 as well. This is not a good thing. Not again!

If it's indeed again the case that Apple is now blocking apps to have these links to quick Settings in their apps build-in I hate they do that. I sure hope that this won't be the case when iOS11 becomes available and that it isn't allowed anymore at all (also not when you create it manually). They should really keep this open to third parties and finally get their own quick settings via the Control Center opened up so you can easily add your own quick settings there.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
I'm still on iOS 10.1.1. I may remain there and just buy a new battery for my 6s Plus. I have other reasons to do so unrelated to the Launcher widgets. Cromulent labs said Apple threatened to pull their app if the settings options were not removed. For now, the URL schemes work. Here's all settings URL I have that still work.

Prefs:root=DISPLAY&path=AUTOLOCK

Prefs:root=General&path=About

Prefs:root=BATTERY_USAGE

Prefs:root=General&path=Reset

Prefs:root=Bluetooth

Prefs:root=General&path=SOFTWARE_UPDATE_LINK

Prefs:root=DO_NOT_DISTURB

Prefs:root=NOTIFICATIONS_ID

Prefs:root=DISPLAY

Prefs:root=TOUCHID_PASSCODE

Prefs:root=BATTERY_USAGE

Profiles:
Prefs:root=General&path=ManagedConfigurationList

Prefs:root=General&path=Keyboard

Prefs:root=General&path=Keyboard/KEYBOARDS

Prefs:root=Photos

Location Services:
Prefs:root=Privacy

Prefs:root=General&path=SIRI

Prefs:root=Sounds

Prefs:root=Sounds&path=Ringtone

Prefs:root=FACEBOOK

Background App Refresh:
Prefs:root=General&path=AUTO_CONTENT_DOWNLOAD

Prefs:root=General&path=ACCESSIBILITY

Cellular:
Prefs:root=MOBILE_DATA_SETTINGS_ID

Prefs:root=Phone&path

Prefs:root=General&path=VPN

Prefs:root=General

Prefs:root=General&path=DICTIONARY

Prefs:root=General&path=RESTRICTIONS

Prefs:root=SAFARI&path

Prefs:root=General&path=DATE_AND_TIME

iCloud:
Prefs:root=CASTLE

Prefs:root=CASTLE&path=STORAGE_AND_BACKUP

Mail:
Prefs:root=ACCOUNT_SETTINGS

Prefs:root=MUSIC

Prefs:root=NOTES

Prefs:root=NOTES&path=ACCOUNTS

Prefs:root=STORE

Prefs:root=TWITTER

Prefs:root=Wallpaper

Prefs:root=WIFI

Prefs:root=INTERNET_TETHERING

Reactions: gaanee

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I accidentally updated my iPhone the other day although I had seen the test e-mail message just before that. I didn't notice that the version that was in the App Store updated was the same number as indicated in the test version. I can indeed still use my existing Settings launchers and icons also are still the same.
For my iPad I was able to stop the update though.

I hope in the near future for iOS it would be possible to remove a certain app for App updates (although you would then still miss new features and fixes).

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
I accidentally updated my iPhone the other day although I had seen the test e-mail message just before that. I didn't notice that the version that was in the App Store updated was the same number as indicated in the test version. I can indeed still use my existing Settings launchers and icons also are still the same.
For my iPad I was able to stop the update though.

I hope in the near future for iOS it would be possible to remove a certain app for App updates (although you would then still miss new features and fixes).

Heck, I'm still on iOS 10.1.1 so I can use the magic wallpapers. I didn't need the settings in the Launcher App anyway. I already had most set up in my widgets. If Apple makes the current schemes not work in iOS 11, I just won't upgrade or update. May not anyway just for the wallpapers. I would need to buy a new battery for my 6s Plus.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Total conspiracy theory on my part, but I wonder if the Workflow acquisition could at all be related. Maybe Apple wants to be the only one doing shortcuts.

Reactions: pacorob

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Total conspiracy theory on my part, but I wonder if the Workflow acquisition could at all be related. Maybe Apple wants to be the only one doing shortcuts.

Fine by me as long as they do them. Magic launcher still has them for now so I'm hoping they stay under the radar.

Reactions: Paco II

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Workflow and Launcher serve different purposes.. workflow is much more sophisticated where you can write sort of mini-programs using GUI instead of commnad line, launchers just launches an using URL shortcut.
Even if Apple plans to implement it's own launcher widget, it would be unfair on 3rd party developers who came up with the original idea and now it's being crippled because of Apple changed its mind and put restrictions, and also for customers who paid for that feature.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Apple has killed off many applications over the years by incorporating functionality into iOS. They don't worry about being 'fair'.

Workflow and Launcher serve different purposes.. workflow is much more sophisticated where you can write sort of mini-programs using GUI instead of commnad line, launchers just launches an using URL shortcut.
Even if Apple plans to implement it's own launcher widget, it would be unfair on 3rd party developers who came up with the original idea and now it's being crippled because of Apple changed its mind and put restrictions, and also for customers who paid for that feature.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL

A friend with Workflow said Apple removed some of the integrations in the App before offering it free in the App Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.