Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
They’ve already given me permission to access their location, otherwise I wouldn’t have the option to set a notification. I can sit and watch on “Find My” to see when they leave work or are nearing home, so I don’t see what extra value or security is provided telling them that I’ve set a notification rather than just keeping an eye on the app.

The security is that now they know you’re a creeper! It’s different to know that someone is scee
I am also not completely sold on this; at least in Family setting.

For example - I regularly set up a location alert for my kids when they go to a sleepover (to get a notification when they leave the location). I'd like it if I would have an option at least to not send that push alert to their phone as a parent.

I trust my kids in situation like this. But want to have a verification.

Um, it is very clear that you do not trust your kids. Hence the spying and why you don’t want push notifications telling them so. Holy Toledo - don’t you see how it can be taken advantage of? Spying spouses, deranged spouses, emp
In which case, why would the spouse agree to be visible on "Find My" at all? I would never give my employer access to view my location on "Find My". The point is that you can only "creep" (as you put it) on someone who has ALREADY AGREED THAT I CAN VIEW THEIR LOCATION. I only look at my husband's location, to see when he's heading home. He knows I do it, he's given permission for me to do it, I'm not creeping on anyone. But now, my viewing his location gives him friction because he has a notification telling him that I'm doing it. That's no big deal, but it seems absolutely pointless given that he knows I can see where he is whenever (and vice versa, and we're both OK with that).

So I don't see what the notification to him adds, in terms of security or value. If I had surreptitiously signed him up to this without his knowledge, I can still watch his location and he won't get a notification, so... what's the point? If this stays in, it won't change anything about how I use the app, it just means that he's getting a useless notification saying "this person who you said could see your location is looking at your location right now"

It’s good to know, IMO. What if someone said they were doing one thing, but went to do another? What if you have permission years ago and it slipped your mind and now you have a stalker who is following your every move? What if you post on FB you’re going to a friend’s house, and then forget that people can see where you’re headed to and now you’re exposing other people’s privacy? I dunno, the whole thing is actually very weird to me in general and I always keep all RNA’s stuff disabled. As someone who takes location and where I am super seriously, I think I’ll always be in the camp of people who enjoy a notification / reminder whenever it is being used on me.

dallardice

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Well, you’ll only get a notification if you’ve already given permission for someone to see your location. If you’re the sort of person who might have given permission years ago “and it slipped your mind” the. I’d suggest you’re not the sort of person who takes “location and where I am super seriously.”

Amongst consenting adults who know who’s got access to their location and don’t mind that they do, the notification is irrelevant. But if you want to go on calling me a creep, go ahead. I just call it trust in my relationship.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I would never give my employer access to view my location on "Find My".
Company-supplied devices, this one may not be something an employee has control over. Then again, I'd just leave the company phone at home outside of work hours. There's always call forwarding anyway.

Reactions: dallardice

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Well, you’ll only get a notification if you’ve already given permission for someone to see your location. If you’re the sort of person who might have given permission years ago “and it slipped your mind” the. I’d suggest you’re not the sort of person who takes “location and where I am super seriously.”

Amongst consenting adults who know who’s got access to their location and don’t mind that they do, the notification is irrelevant. But if you want to go on calling me a creep, go ahead. I just call it trust in my relationship.

Wouldn’t it be the very opposite of trust? Somebody else justified it as “trusting” their kids, too. Yet they were miffed that their kids would now be receiving a notification. How is that trust? Why do you need to see where your husband is whenever you want? How many times a day/week were you checking? Are you secretly annoyed that now you can’t check as frequently without him knowing you are doing it? Seems like a false sense of trust to me but that’s just my two cents.

Reactions: hourglass111

bigboy29

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
Um, it is very clear that you do not trust your kids. Hence the spying and why you don’t want push notifications telling them so. Holy Toledo - don’t you see how it can be taken advantage of? Spying spouses, deranged spouses, emp

I'm not exactly sure where you get an idea from my comments that it is "very clear" that I do not trust my kids. I'd argue the fact that I let them go to places clearly shows that I do. You keep insisting that our questioning of the value of alerts is so outrageous, when even if alerts are not set, you are able to sit on the phone all day and refresh location of the person who shares their location with you, and they will never know. That, in fact, would be closer to 'stalking' than setting an alert for someone when they leave a location.

The reality of situation is that kids sometimes make poor choices; sometimes only when in a group. I may or might not have made some myself when younger. I may or might not have had situations like this already with my own kids which may or might not be a reason why I set those alerts when I do.

Location sharing within family as defined in iCloud as a designed feature. As a parent who pays for said devices and associated plans, it should not be surprising that one of values that I get out of their devices is that I can reach them, they can reach me and we can all know where others are at any given point. I don't understand why you'd decide to get on some moralizing high horse about that? (shrug!)

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I'm not exactly sure where you get an idea from my comments that it is "very clear" that I do not trust my kids. I'd argue the fact that I let them go to places clearly shows that I do. You keep insisting that our questioning of the value of alerts is so outrageous, when even if alerts are not set, you are able to sit on the phone all day and refresh location of the person who shares their location with you, and they will never know. That, in fact, would be closer to 'stalking' than setting an alert for someone when they leave a location.

The reality of situation is that kids sometimes make poor choices; sometimes only when in a group. I may or might not have made some myself when younger. I may or might not have had situations like this already with my own kids which may or might not be a reason why I set those alerts when I do.

Location sharing within family as defined in iCloud as a designed feature. As a parent who pays for said devices and associated plans, it should not be surprising that one of values that I get out of their devices is that I can reach them, they can reach me and we can all know where others are at any given point. I don't understand why you'd decide to get on some moralizing high horse about that? (shrug!)

His second point about why the notification is there is much more valid. There is certainly a concern about people "tracking" others without them knowing even if they have given them access to follow them on Find My.

I do think there should be an option on the followed person's phone to "turn off" that notification feature. Assuming it is understood between the parent and the child or just if the parent has access to the phone, this would prevent abuse by people NOT having access to that phone.

I own my kids' phones and part of that is the Find MY being turned on. I use it just to check where they are at any given time. Not because I don't trust them, but just curious in case I need to bug them about something. It's nice to know if they are at work or in class so I know not to text them.

Reactions: bigboy29

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009

Didn’t mean for my posts to come across as demeaning in any way or morally superior. But if you are tracking your kids you can’t say that in one sentence and then say you fully trust them in the other. That doesn’t make any sense.

Reactions: bigboy29

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Didn’t mean for my posts to come across as demeaning in any way or morally superior. But if you are tracking your kids you can’t say that in one sentence and then say you fully trust them in the other. That doesn’t make any sense.

But there are very legitimate reasons to want to track your kids that has nothing to do with not trusting them as I gave in my post above.

KOTULCN

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
Is there any way to prevent Memoji from always showing first in recently used section when you open emojis?

Reactions: moyjoy

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Is there any way to prevent Memoji from always showing first in recently used section when you open emojis?

I find that if you don't use it for a while or simply swipe left to hide it before switching keyboards, it doesn't show up next time you open the emoji keyboard....sometimes...

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
I find that if you don't use it for a while or simply swipe left to hide it before switching keyboards, it doesn't show up next time you open the emoji keyboard....sometimes...

Sam, but sometimes it does appear even when swiped away or unused. Super annoying as I will never use this feature and it’s blocking the content I actually want to get to.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
A gentle reminder that this thread is for posting obscure or little publicized features of iOS13/iPadOS.

Here's one that might be new (or it might be!): if you search in Settings for a particular control (say, "Reset Network Settings") and then select the one you want from the resulting list, when you then select that and the page containing that setting opens, the searched for control briefly "identifies" itself by dimming slightly.

Mac-lover3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
Belgium
New? Pop up if your library is synchronising.

Attachments

• IMG_3178.png
    IMG_3178.png
    199.3 KB · Views: 241

icianom

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2008
Dublin, Ireland.
Anyone else having MASSIVE issues with storage? Mine has steadily completely filled up since I got the last beta and I'm having to constantly remove things only for it to be eaten up by increasing system space. The storage estimates for categories is also very wrong.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Anyone else having MASSIVE issues with storage? Mine has steadily completely filled up since I got the last beta and I'm having to constantly remove things only for it to be eaten up by increasing system space. The storage estimates for categories is also very wrong.
You'll probably get more feedback on that question in the thread I'm linking to below. But its not unusual to have your memory gobbled up during a beta by log files and diagnostics. One fix is to do a clean install. That usually sweeps away the cruft, but it comes back eventually. Only sure way is to stay off the betas.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...nd-improvements.2192847/page-20#post-27628911

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
A gentle reminder that this thread is for posting obscure or little publicized features of iOS13/iPadOS.

Here's one that might be new (or it might be!): if you search in Settings for a particular control (say, "Reset Network Settings") and then select the one you want from the resulting list, when you then select that and the page containing that setting opens, the searched for control briefly "identifies" itself by dimming slightly.
This has been the case before iOS 13. Not sure how long, but at least iOS 11.

Question,

first post so I hope this is in the proper thread,

ok so, I’m in public beta 13 (17a5572a), iPhone 7plus. Once the official 13 releases will I be able to download it direct from settings or do I need to reset first, or something else? Or??....so, before I shifted to beta I backed up but only via cloud and not itunes. I’ve since backed up using the same process while on this beta. Should I download public beta 3 for 13.1?

Basically my question is, what method should I use for a clean transition to 13 while still using this particular backup? Thanks, be safe.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Question,

first post so I hope this is in the proper thread,

ok so, I’m in public beta 13 (17a5572a), iPhone 7plus. Once the official 13 releases will I be able to download it direct from settings or do I need to reset first, or something else? Or??....so, before I shifted to beta I backed up but only via cloud and not itunes. I’ve since backed up using the same process while on this beta. Should I download public beta 3 for 13.1?

Basically my question is, what method should I use for a clean transition to 13 while still using this particular backup? Thanks, be safe.

It appears you are now on iOS 13.0 public beta 7. Just stay there and you should be able to move straight to the release version of 13.0 next week. You will probably have to remove the beta profile though. If you still have the beta profile installed,it will prompt you to download and install the 13.1 beta instead. Now, given that 13.1 itself is scheduled for release on 9/30, that wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. 13.1 is in pretty good shape right now. But if your goal is to be on 13.0 next week, remove the profile and download 13.0 when it hits on the19th.

Reactions: HazeAndHahmahneez

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I tested the first iPadOS public beta and then downgraded. Have just updated to the latest (iPadOS 13.1 public beta) and its so frustrating. One of the features I was looking forward to the MOST was being able to download whole folders in files. For whatever stupid bloody reason, APple has removed this and has made the files app just as useless as the iOS 12 version. Well done.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Good find. Lots of answers to unanswered questions in the footnotes.

E.g.:
-Announce messages is only for AirPods Gen 2
-Look Around in Maps is only for select cities, not everywhere

The Look Around only being in select cities was in the keynote, and I think they said it would expand out over time. I hadn’t seen anyone ask about that, due to that reason.

Reactions: ErikGrim

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
The Look Around only being in select cities was in the keynote, and I think they said it would expand out over time. I hadn’t seen anyone ask about that, due to that reason.

Missed that, then. Or assumed they were referring to initially.

There had been some discussion in the Maps thread about it being everywhere, or at least on a par with Google Street View.

Reactions: MozMan68

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Missed that, then. Or assumed they were referring to initially.

There had been some discussion in the Maps thread about it being everywhere, or at least on a par with Google Street View.

Actually, it might have been in one of the other sessions in WWDC, I’m doubting myself now, I know in the keynote they said the new map updates are expected to be done in the US by the end of 2019 and then expend to other countries from 2020 (37:55 into the keynote), and think that was then expanded on in another session that this was about the new look to maps (topography, etc) and so that Look Around falls into that category. Apologies, as I wasn’t totally accurate in my other post, but the information is out there if you look for it.

Reactions: gwhizkids
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.